LD28 Swap into an 82 280zx Turbo *now W/ pics*

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

NWA 280zx

LD28 Swap into an 82 280zx Turbo *now W/ pics*

Post by NWA 280zx »

Hello everybody, this will also be my introduction thread as well as a build thread. I found this site 2 weeks ago when I found an 82 datsun Maxima diesel, and I wanted to do some homework on it and see what I'm getting into. I picked up the car running and driving great for $650, with 288K miles. I'm really big into diesels I've also got a 96 p-pump 12v Cummins, and a 93 7.3 IDI W/ ATS turbo system and I run them both on UMO(used motor oil) and I love driving them but I don't need a 1-ton truck to drive back and forth to work but I need a diesel seeing has how I can make my fuel for $0.30-$0.50 a gallon. So I found that you can swap the LD28 relitively simply into a Z car and also use the L28 Turbo manifold with some modifications and it just so happens I found a 82 280ZX Turbo W/ an automatic in my area with a bad ECM and I was able to talk him down to $550 on it.
So with all of that being said I'm going to be putting the LD28 into the Z with its Turbo set up and use the Z's turbo auto transmission. I know I have to modify the passenger side motor mount and the oil pan for the pick-up tube which I'm not worried about, I have all the equipment and plenty of experience in fabrication. But, I was hoping to hear from the guys that have done it, to see if they can give me any pointers or heads up on anything that I haven't covered. I plan to do this swap in about a 2 week span in my shop, also while I have the LD28 out is there anything I need to do to it besides basic gaskets and seals? Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
Last edited by NWA 280zx 12 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
82 Datsun Maxima Diesel Auto
82 Datsun 280zx Turbo Auto
Soon to be made into one
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Welcome.

Perhaps a few photos of your progress might be nice to look at.

Good luck

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

You'd probably see it, but:

There's an banjo connection on the drivers side of the block toward the front immediately beneath the manifold which often leaks oil and is essentially impossible to service w/out pulling the manifolds. The oil line lubes the vac pump on the back of the alternator and guys use it for turboing. Doesn't exactly fail, but it messes up that side of the engine...

I'm sure others will chime in.

Sounds like you're set to go. Pics are always good for lots of karma points. <g>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
NWA 280zx

Post by NWA 280zx »

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, I need to get some pictures up I know that always helps. I hope to get the engines out this week if I can get some small projects out of the way, if not definately starting by this weekend.
Soon to be made into one
NWA 280zx

Post by NWA 280zx »

Well I got the Maxima torn down and the engine out, but had to stop there. My in-laws tossed a timing belt on there Hyundai SantaFe, so I'm now in the process of pulling out its engine and putting in another. Before too long I'll have the 280zx in the shop and under the knife. My biggest problem I'm coming against right now is finding any gaskets at all for the ld28. I have to replace the head gasket while I have it out, I've noticed the slightest bit of coolant seeping out between the head and block. I'm really close to ordering in and comparing the stock one to a l28ET gasket because I'm running into a bunch of dead-ends trying to find a head gasket unless I want to get one from china and wait 45 days to get it.
Soon to be made into one
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Lots of posts here about your problem. Comes down to $$$, although sometimes you get lucky at the local FLAPS. CarX has helped some members here.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
NWA 280zx

Post by NWA 280zx »

Yeah I've looked high and low for a head gasket, and I think I've found one of the last ones in the US through Jesco in California for $150, and they're pricing me out a whole engine kit, and if its not too bad, I'm going to get the whole thing. If they don't come through it looks like its the UK or New Zealand for my gasket woes.
Soon to be made into one
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

NWA 280zx wrote:Yeah I've looked high and low for a head gasket . . .
Not exactly everywhere, though. Email me, if you're interested.

Also, Matt & others have found some other sources. See this thread for more info.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
NWA 280zx

Post by NWA 280zx »

Well I finally got Jesco back on the phone and got a head gasket and manifold gasket coming for it, so I should be back to making progress by next week.
asavage, I saw those posts of yours but I saw that they were so old I didn't think to contact you on them. It would of saved me some time and money, Jesco charged me $180+shipping, but I plan on buying another ld28 whenever I can get my hands on one to build another project, so I'll keep you in mind when I get ready for that.
Soon to be made into one
NWA 280zx

Post by NWA 280zx »

I got the LD28 tore down, and was suprised to find how nice the inside is of this 288K mile engine. You can still see the crosshatching in the cylander walls, and the rods and mains are factory Nissan and look like they might have 50K miles of wear on them. Well I finally got a image hosting thing so I figured I would try to post some pictures I took at the begining of the build.
Soon to be made into one
NWA 280zx

Post by NWA 280zx »

I got the engine block back from the machine shop, and it looks brand new.
Soon to be made into one
bogs777

Post by bogs777 »

nice!
danceonwaves

1982 Datsun LD28 Maxima Wagon

Post by danceonwaves »

Wow! I have a 1982 LD28 Wagon with aprox. 201,000 miles of which I put 60,000 on in seven years. I've Changed the oil regularly and fuel filter once and she just keeps going reliably. The body is straight but I'm living two blocks from the beach and she's rusting on the top and Hatch. She gets 32 to 35 miles per gallon. I must sell her now as I have a new project called a 1981 Toyota Sunrader. Wish I could put the Datsun LD28 in that!!
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

They put big blocks in Vega's in the 70's
Giver' a go !
You are limited only by your imagination and or course the size of your wallet.

You got one of these? : http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/ ... following/

pretty cool

Paul :lol: :wink: :!: :!:
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
danceonwaves

Post by danceonwaves »

I'll ask my genuis mechanic who's still young and loves to improvise! Thanks