My 85-Nissan Laurel LD28 Turbo from Norway

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

overrated

Post by overrated »

Got the hold of another turbo. Have 3 of a kind now. Two in the garage and one in the car as we speak.

And the best of all, freebie! And has almost not been used. Not even dirty!

So I took some pictures with my SLR camera just 4 fun and posting it out here so you can see what builds pressure under my hood:)

Everythings there but the VGT actuator is missing:)

turboLD

Post by turboLD »

overrated wrote:Thinking of taking a pull in the dyno just to see what the engine pulls out now before the twin turbo project. I'm suprised my self how well it works with the small turbo. Have almost full power from 2000 rpm and up. Crappy wintercar.
Sounds nice! Totally agree with the working cause seen your vids on youtube. That kind of combination gives a smooth torque without a major peak before max hp. Why not hunt for a king cap lsd? I think fitting shouldn't be a lost case?
wrote:Have seen the BSR mercedes. Impressing work :) But now that everybody has seen that, everybody wants to build that kind of thing to. Fun to try something else than mercedes :)
The drift Merc is only the top of the mountain :) The Superturbo society is based on Herlevi tractor pulling family as the sons started fitting big turbos in the M-B multivalve engines. Now we have approx 200 of STD M-Bs in here (>100hp per litre) The original diesel shit looks more like this! :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPWDn2UD6s these cars a in road use and both carry about 400hp...easy + powerful but not unique any more compared to LD tuning.

Do you have pictures or possibly know of a movie of that volvo? Sounds interesting!! :D[/quote] :wink:
turboLD

Post by turboLD »

overrated wrote:Thinking of taking a pull in the dyno just to see what the engine pulls out now before the twin turbo project. I'm suprised my self how well it works with the small turbo. Have almost full power from 2000 rpm and up. Crappy wintercar.
Sounds nice! Totally agree with the working cause seen your vids on youtube. That kind of combination gives a smooth torque without a major peak before max hp. Honestly looking forward with your twinturbo project! :twisted: Why not hunt f.ex. for a king cap lsd? I think fitting shouldn't be a lost case? Might also be a help in future as growing the power sources.
overrated wrote:Have seen the BSR mercedes. Impressing work Smile But now that everybody has seen that, everybody wants to build that kind of thing to. Fun to try something else than mercedes
The drift Merc is only the top of the mountain! :D The SuperTurbo society is based on Herlevi tractor pulling family as the sons started fitting big turbos and pumps in the M-B multivalve engines. Now we have approx 200 of STD M-Bs in here (>100hp per litre) The original diesel shit looks about like this! :wink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORPWDn2UD6s these cars are in road use and both carry about 400hp...easy + powerful but not unique any more compared to LD tuning. Personally don't appreciate the M-B tuning compared to doing something different! Knowledge just to inform you.
overrated wrote:Do you have pictures or possibly know of a movie of that volvo? Sounds interesting!! :D
Sure, here's some clips of the volvo I managed to find..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b2L73ByNBA 1:20-->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLAIosfj ... re=related (commentator: Oh satan, here comes the europe's fastest Traktor ;D)

Excuse me! Still one question in mind: was your ride equipped with LD or RD when rolling from the factory?

Really staying tuned with this topic!

-Nico
Richard Teale

Post by Richard Teale »

Hey there Ole & all you other LD28 enthusiasts, good to see another turbo mod done. (I thought best say too- been away for a few years, lost pass word, busy with work, family etc so signed up with new details & wrote down this time) :D
The comment on the 1.7 bar boost doesn't surprise me as have learn't from other turbo diesel enthusiasts that they can take as much air as you can throw at them, its the fuel you add with that can do the damage by overheating/loading in general, so must work out what that is so as not to exceed it! I remember reading a turbo charging book from my high school library about the tractor pull guys pulling well over 100PSI boost with super charger and sometimes more than one turbo with ice bucket bathed intercooler's etc into their old international tractors etc, with no engine internal mods done! I also have a mate with a Toyota Landcruiser 60 Series with a 12HT thats been up graded with turbo replacement that's capable of 30PSI at 1,800 rpm or above without any problem! He has decided to de rate it to 22PSI I think as he thinks that's enough for the fuel quantity delivered.
1972 Datsun 240C LD28T powered.
overrated

Post by overrated »

Today I've looked at the exhaust flange i got from ebay supposed to fit a L28.
Tried it on and I have to make minor adjustments to get everything in place.

Pictures:

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Is there enough material in the Cyl head to open the exhaust ports up to match the manifold. That would certainly help flow. Some serious grinding I think.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
overrated

Post by overrated »

plenzen wrote:Is there enough material in the Cyl head to open the exhaust ports up to match the manifold. That would certainly help flow. Some serious grinding I think.
I think so. Will look on it when I take the engine apart in the future.
Economy tuning. As much hp for lowest possible cost :p
overrated

Post by overrated »

Bought a liquid filled boost gauge on ebay. little more accurate than the gauge thats in the car as we speak.

Have also sandblasted the intake manifold just to get the look of it.
And it looks damn nice. Gives a little work boost to see the engine get nicer.
But i dont have pics of it right now but it's coming soon :)

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Keep us posted

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
overrated

Post by overrated »

Finally my gaskets arrived :)

Head gasket

Gasket kit complete for the whole engine

:):)

Paid 535 USD for all of it :)
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

How did you make out with the exhaust headers and turbo flange etc.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
turboLD

Post by turboLD »

535 USD for those gaskets? :O A serious amount I would say! :oops:

Hope you'll get the engine rocking now!!

How is it buying gasket sets and a new timing chain set etc. for an LD28 in overall? Do you find them anywhere in these days? Ebay may help but how about the local sparepart shops in Norway?

-Nico
overrated

Post by overrated »

plenzen wrote:How did you make out with the exhaust headers and turbo flange etc.

Paul
Haven't got to that point yet.
Things take time with millitary duty and 4 month old boy at home :p

I'm done with my duty in a month and attending my new job at Scania 2th April. So after that it will begin to go alot faster with the project :)
overrated

Post by overrated »

turboLD wrote:535 USD for those gaskets? :O A serious amount I would say! :oops:

Hope you'll get the engine rocking now!!

How is it buying gasket sets and a new timing chain set etc. for an LD28 in overall? Do you find them anywhere in these days? Ebay may help but how about the local sparepart shops in Norway?

-Nico
Yes, 3055 NOK or 412 EURO :)

Going to take the engine apart sometime soon and hopefully get it machined a bit and control the weight of the pistons and rods to get it totally harmonic :) And then get the turbo manifold welded :)

Gaskets are hard to find i Think. It's not many left. Original gaskets does not exist any more if the rumours are true.
Timingchain have I found on ebay but not checked if the nissan dealer has.

Have greater chance to get parts in independent spareparts store instead of Nissan dealers.. :)
kekambas

turbo

Post by kekambas »

I am from Argentina and I have a ld28 and am wanting to place a turbo ..... I need to know that powers your turbo pressure given in (BAR)??? or by testing when I get to?? because I have a turbo but this is another big new engine more ..

Sorry about the English is very difficult for me .... but am very interested in this issue of Nissan LD28