My 85-Nissan Laurel LD28 Turbo from Norway

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

Re: turbo

#46

Post by overrated »

kekambas wrote:I am from Argentina and I have a ld28 and am wanting to place a turbo ..... I need to know that powers your turbo pressure given in (BAR)??? or by testing when I get to?? because I have a turbo but this is another big new engine more ..

Sorry about the English is very difficult for me .... but am very interested in this issue of Nissan LD28

Currently running 1,7 bar :)
kekambas
Posts: 2
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Argentina

Re: turbo

#47

Post by kekambas »

overrated wrote:
kekambas wrote:I am from Argentina and I have a ld28 and am wanting to place a turbo ..... I need to know that powers your turbo pressure given in (BAR)??? or by testing when I get to?? because I have a turbo but this is another big new engine more ..

Sorry about the English is very difficult for me .... but am very interested in this issue of Nissan LD28

Currently running 1,7 bar :)

that's what the barometer frame or measured??
otherwise the turbo you have to much power (BAR) delivers
turboLD
Posts: 5
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Finland

#48

Post by turboLD »

Wooouh expensive gaskets! 8)

Sorry, I know nearly anything about the intake manifold case but sounds like the stock is best for turbo applications. Might be ifeellike-chatting but...

This Volvo project is critisized for the doubleplenum and is said that even the drag Volvo has a stock intake? Personally like the "eye candy" plenum much!

http://www.vrcf.fi/foorumi/index.php?topic=11095.0
buddabeast
Posts: 20
Joined: 9 years ago

#49

Post by buddabeast »

I see no comments of changes to the compression ratio?
Is you're C32 running the turbo at the stock compression of 22.5 : 1?
If not how did you reduce this compression?
Great progress on the project I too love the Ld28
Cheers.
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#50

Post by overrated »

turboLD wrote:Wooouh expensive gaskets! 8)

Sorry, I know nearly anything about the intake manifold case but sounds like the stock is best for turbo applications. Might be ifeellike-chatting but...

This Volvo project is critisized for the doubleplenum and is said that even the drag Volvo has a stock intake? Personally like the "eye candy" plenum much!

http://www.vrcf.fi/foorumi/index.php?topic=11095.0
Eye Candy plenum is the shit :) :twisted:
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#51

Post by overrated »

buddabeast wrote:I see no comments of changes to the compression ratio?
Is you're C32 running the turbo at the stock compression of 22.5 : 1?
If not how did you reduce this compression?
Great progress on the project I too love the Ld28
Cheers.
The compression is not changed.
Still running good old 22,5:1 ;)

Have drived 20.000 km now and no problems :)

Still havent done much couse I have 6 months old boy at home. But will happen things soon ;)
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

Spring shining :)

#52

Post by overrated »

Washed of the winter and mounted summer wheels :)

Don't look at my catch tank :p
Image
Image

Gauges inside. Exhaust temp, voltmeter, turbo pressure
Image

outside
Image
Image
Image

Reardoor? is picked from a Laurel with facelift. You can see the color difference.
Image

My partscar :) . Laurel 2,4 Prefacelift
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Please comment :)
osvaldo garcia
Posts: 17
Joined: 14 years ago
Location: argentina Buenos Aires
Contact:

#53

Post by osvaldo garcia »

beautifull!!!!

In my languaje (spanish): re grosso!!!! :wink: :wink:
buddabeast
Posts: 20
Joined: 9 years ago

#54

Post by buddabeast »

Looks good - I've just had a catch can put in my red 85 Laurel also. And I am looking to turbo mine, but unsure if my LD28 engine will handle it - I have been told the piston rings are dying.
I recently covered my entire engine in oil from blocking my PCV valve off and then the oil pressure came out a gasket. Should have got a photo.
I have a nearly 7 month old baby girl also!
I am interested where you got your oil and water supply for turbo? Did you use a sandwich adapter?
turboLD
Posts: 5
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Finland

#55

Post by turboLD »

Hi Ole!

Seems you're gonna make an eye candy intake for the new setup then! :twisted:

Good job with the body work. Even the engine bay looks like new unlike other old diesels! But it's obviously your daily use car?

-Nico
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#56

Post by overrated »

osvaldo garcia wrote:beautifull!!!!

In my languaje (spanish): re grosso!!!! :wink: :wink:
Thank you :) :)
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#57

Post by overrated »

buddabeast wrote:Looks good - I've just had a catch can put in my red 85 Laurel also. And I am looking to turbo mine, but unsure if my LD28 engine will handle it - I have been told the piston rings are dying.
I recently covered my entire engine in oil from blocking my PCV valve off and then the oil pressure came out a gasket. Should have got a photo.
I have a nearly 7 month old baby girl also!
I am interested where you got your oil and water supply for turbo? Did you use a sandwich adapter?
To see if the piston rings are worn you can take a compression test.
You can buy these tools at Ebay.

Covered your engine in oil? Won't rust at least =)

My turbo don't have watercooling. Just oil.
Picked my oilpressure from the vacum pump and the same with the returnline. The simplest solution :)
But a sandwitch adapter can be a solution that to. Or just use a T-fitting on the oilpressure switch and a hose from that to the turbo. :)
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#58

Post by overrated »

turboLD wrote:Hi Ole!

Seems you're gonna make an eye candy intake for the new setup then! :twisted:

Good job with the body work. Even the engine bay looks like new unlike other old diesels! But it's obviously your daily use car?

-Nico
Yes that's my plan :) Polished and nice looking. Never welded aluminum before so this will be a learning by doing :)

I was lucky with this car. Well maintained since the beginning. Just a oil sweating in the front of the head gasket where the timing chain is.
anywhere else the engine is dry :)

This is my daily driven car. Works every day :)
plenzen
Posts: 869
Joined: 13 years ago
Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada

#59

Post by plenzen »

I went to the beginning of this thread and read it all the way through just to recall all the work you have done.
This is a very nice result and a great job of photographing it all the way, CONGRATS !.

I wonder if you took photos of the exhaust headers that you made. I looked back at when you were fitting the flange to the head and you were about to start that fabrication.
Were to able to port the head or did you leave it stock ?

How are your EGT's or do you have a pyro on it?
Did you gate the turbo and if you did how many psi ( bar) did you set it at?
How is your engine temp when it's "working" ( climbing hills at highway speeds etc.)


Nice work


How is your job at Scania going ?

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#60

Post by overrated »

plenzen wrote:I went to the beginning of this thread and read it all the way through just to recall all the work you have done.
This is a very nice result and a great job of photographing it all the way, CONGRATS !.

I wonder if you took photos of the exhaust headers that you made. I looked back at when you were fitting the flange to the head and you were about to start that fabrication.
Were to able to port the head or did you leave it stock ?

How are your EGT's or do you have a pyro on it?
Did you gate the turbo and if you did how many psi ( bar) did you set it at?
How is your engine temp when it's "working" ( climbing hills at highway speeds etc.)


Nice work


How is your job at Scania going ?

Paul
Thank you for commenting :)

The exhaust flange is still hanging in the garage. Haven't beginned to weld it yet. But if it is possible to port the head i will do it.

In steep long hills at 70-80 km/h the gauge shows 400 degrees celcius.
But no change in the engine temperature. But when i fit a intercooler to it i'll guess the temp will go down a bit on the EGT.

And I'm currently running 1,7 Bar boost or 25 PSI :)

My job at Scania is going well. Worked there for 2 months now and I am looking forward to go to job every day so that's good. Pays of good and nice people that work there. :)

Ole
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests