Reliability of Nissan L3N71B automatics

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

gromit

Reliability of Nissan L3N71B automatics

Post by gromit »

Bought a L28 engine with an automatic on it. Was going to change transmission over to a 5 speed that I had kept from a '86 720 truck that I scrapped, but with all the info about bearing problems on the 5 speeds, now considering using the automatic.

Are they as trouble prone as the manuals? If so, I will machine up an adapter and put a decent 5 speed behind the engine

Gromit
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Mine was a solid performer, high mileage and never a problem, except for when I forgot to clamp a vacuum connection at the alternator/vacuum pump. Not the transmission's fault. Went back to shifting correctly after I clamped the vacuum hose.
gromit

Post by gromit »

Well, that's good to know!

Thanks!

Gromit
gromit

Post by gromit »

Are the five speed transmissions made in 1986 free of the bearing problems that plagued the earlier ones? Wondering if the one that I have is worth looking into----

Gromit
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

As I recall Al's posts from way back, the manual transmission will tell you when it's bad with unhappy noises. Did you drive the truck much before you scrapped it? Was the tranny noisy?

IIRC, you can change the problem bearings in the tranny and if you get it before gear damage (noise) you have a perfectly good (quiet) transmission.

Or have I misunderstood your concerns here?

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
gromit

Post by gromit »

Rufus, thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, I was only able to drive the truck around a field, to make sure that no teeth were missing in the transmission--at that time i had acquired the truck to use the rear that was under it.

The rear was in good shape, as was the engine, and i'm wondering if sometime between '82 (when the bearing problems seemed common) and "86 Nissan might have made a design change to larger/better bearings, in which case i wouldn't hesitate to use the transmission as is.

Herb