Truck won"t shut off ?

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

spencer

Truck won"t shut off ?

Post by spencer »

I have a 85 nissan kingcab with the sd25 diesel(i think).The truck won't shut off.When i got the truck off my dad it ran fine but i noticed he had taken a metal rod on the passengers side off of what appears to be part of the fuel system.After i put the metal rod back on the truck won't start.Is there a fuse or reay that i missed ? Or is there somthing eles wrong?
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Sounds like your DCP has gone bad. There are 3 positions at the IP.The default position is run.
It sounds like yours is holding in the off position. Pop the rod back off and it should start.

Here is a link to detailed information from an old thread.
http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... ht=control
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
spencer

Post by spencer »

Thanks for the info it was a big help. Does anyone know of a place to get that part who will ship to canada?
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

This site does not get alot of traffic.

The last time it came up the part was available for ~$400.00

You can start the truck in the default position and connect a $10.00 cable to cut it off. I went with the cable when mine stopped working.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
spencer

Post by spencer »

I will go with the cable to, don't want to spend to much money.Thanks again.
sidevalve

Post by sidevalve »

Before you scrap the DCP check it out. I've repaired mine a couple times over the years. There is the nice safty feature of having a low oil pressure shutdown system. Scrap the dcp and that's gone bye bye too. There are threads on here to help you, if you take the time to search them. Having a fsm is must too. being able to start and stop your truck with the ignition key is nice and civilized too. Good luck and keep your Sd22 alive.
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Bump
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Gubernaculum

Post by Gubernaculum »

When I bought my 720 2 yrs ago, the DCP was in a box! Previous owner had a coat hanger wire for the shut off! I replaced the coat hanger with a choke cable from autozone. Works fine except I don't have the engine start fuel position - just have run and stop position.
J M Hellman
81 Datsun 720 2 wd
09 Z71
06 Kubota 5700
04 Yamaha Raptor 660
07 Yamaha Rhino 660
02 Polaris 500 HO Sportsman
07 Lexus ES 350
02 Australian Shepherd
niseamer

SD25 manual shut-off

Post by niseamer »

Hi Folks

Old post I know but I get a lot of info off them, so in case anyone is still following this...
I just switched from an engine with a VE pump to one with a Kiki in-line. I actually did this because I also had to replace the transmission (got one from a 1995 D21 and after changing the bell housing it worked well).
My 1987 D21 doesn't have the DCP control unit so I just didn't connect the controller actuating rod.
I am going to use a push-pull cable for controlling the pump. It seems much harder to pull it into the start position, so I will just have the cable Pull it to start and push it all the way in to turn off. I see no reason I can't have both functions (I live in Canada and need the cold start position!).
If anyone has tried this and it doesn't work, please let me know and I will rethink. I will post again when I have it done next week.
I am crossing all the fingers I have left, as that is the last ting to do before the drive test.
If anyone is interested in this project (transmission or engine swap) and can benefit from me doing it, I check in fairly often.

Cheers

Niseamer
waynosworld

Re: SD25 manual shut-off

Post by waynosworld »

niseamer wrote:Hi Folks

Old post I know but I get a lot of info off them, so in case anyone is still following this...
I just switched from an engine with a VE pump to one with a Kiki in-line. I actually did this because I also had to replace the transmission (got one from a 1995 D21 and after changing the bell housing it worked well).
My 1987 D21 doesn't have the DCP control unit so I just didn't connect the controller actuating rod.
I am going to use a push-pull cable for controlling the pump. It seems much harder to pull it into the start position, so I will just have the cable Pull it to start and push it all the way in to turn off. I see no reason I can't have both functions (I live in Canada and need the cold start position!).
If anyone has tried this and it doesn't work, please let me know and I will rethink. I will post again when I have it done next week.
I am crossing all the fingers I have left, as that is the last ting to do before the drive test.
If anyone is interested in this project (transmission or engine swap) and can benefit from me doing it, I check in fairly often.

Cheers

Niseamer

There is another guy on here that did what your talking about, his injection pump is the vacuum run type, he has 3 positions, start, run, and off, what he did was cable all the way in is start, then he pulled it out to a line on the shaft, that was run, then all the way out was off, so make sure you put the arm in run position, then make a line or something on the shaft of the choke lever, then you are set.
After a while you will just know by the looks what it looks like in the run position.
You know that there are different kinds off inline injection pumps, is yours vacuum run, or is it like this pump.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Is that one of Al's pictures (asavage)?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
niseamer

Post by niseamer »

There is another guy on here that did what your talking about, his injection pump is the vacuum run type, he has 3 positions, start, run, and off, what he did was cable all the way in is start, then he pulled it out to a line on the shaft, that was run, then all the way out was off, so make sure you put the arm in run position, then make a line or something on the shaft of the choke lever, then you are set.
After a while you will just know by the looks what it looks like in the run position.
You know that there are different kinds off inline injection pumps, is yours vacuum run, or is it like this pump.
Image[/quote]

Yes, it is a vacuum run pump. My lever seems pretty hard to pull into the "start" position and am not sure wire will hold it without bending. If it worked for this guy, though it probably will for me.
The pump on my isuzu in the boat is like the one in the picture.

Thanks
Niseamer
niseamer

Post by niseamer »

Hi M'sieur Savage

Yes, it is a vacuum run pump. My lever seems pretty hard to pull into the "start" position and am not sure wire will hold it without bending. If it worked for this guy, though it probably will for me.
The pump on my isuzu in the boat is like the one in the picture.

By the way...do you know what colour the wire is leading to the oil pressure warning lamp? I have the one coming off the sender, but can't figure out what to hook it to....lots of changes with this new engine. I am not sure what this engine came out of, but the sender plug is different than any on the truck harness. I'm thinking I might just go to a mechanical gauge so I can see what it is doing...especially since I have bypassed the safety shut-off provided by the electronic fuel controller.
Do you know if I can just "T" into the braided flex line going to the back of the alternator for this mechanical gauge? or is there a better place?

Thanks so much for your help,
Niseamer
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

dn29626 wrote:Is that one of Al's pictures (asavage)?

No, that is an injection pump I bought on ebay a couple years ago, it was cheap, so I could not pass it up, as it is brand new.
I had plans to turbocharge my engine, when I seen this pump I jumped on it, but since then I found a VE type injection pump setup, so that is in the truck now, I just lost steam on the turbo part, as I put an SD25 in my 521 kingcab, and it will do 80mph all day long except on the hills.
I actually tried to install that pump, but it hit on the SD22 tilted oilfilter, when that happened, I just installed the VE type one I bought.
I went from this,
to this.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
niseamer

Ooops..wrong name

Post by niseamer »

waynosworld wrote:
dn29626 wrote:Is that one of Al's pictures (asavage)?

No, that is an injection pump I bought on ebay a couple years ago, it was cheap, so I could not pass it up, as it is brand new.
I had plans to turbocharge my engine, when I seen this pump I jumped on it, but since then I found a VE type injection pump setup, so that is in the truck now, I just lost steam on the turbo part, as I put an SD25 in my 521 kingcab, and it will do 80mph all day long except on the hills.
I actually tried to install that pump, but it hit on the SD22 tilted oilfilter, when that happened, I just installed the VE type one I bought.
Sorry waynosworld

Not used to this posting business. It looked like it was a response to my question /comment about push-pull shut-offs was from Al Savage. I need two screens I guess!

Cheers

Niseamer