primer pump

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

powerstroke6.0

primer pump

Post by powerstroke6.0 »

hello to all,1st post. i have a new to me 81 datsun regular cab with the sd22. it has been sitting for about 10 years and my son and i are trying to get the old girl on the road again. i have drained all the old fuel out of the tank. replaced primary filter. backflushed clear plastic filter,replaced all rubber fuel lines. heres my problem i got the primer pump unscrewed but it will not come up so i can push it up and down to prime the pump. the knob will unscrew about 3/4 turn then gets tight again. thx ed
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Can you get the plastic cover off, get some penetrating oil into it and try working it undone? (by hand, of course)
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
powerstroke6.0

Post by powerstroke6.0 »

ranger thx for the reply.mine has no plastic cover all metal. i think i will try to pickup a new priming pump and try that. just dont want to get a lot of money into this project if the engine is no good.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

Yours must be a late 81. I think the clear filter was not on the early models. Of course a previous owner could have added it.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
powerstroke6.0

Post by powerstroke6.0 »

yes it was added later not on fire wall just inline, i fixed my primer pump it was stuck in the bore, i removed it from ip took it apart used alot of pb blaster on it, put it back together. bled pump,cracked all hp lines bled them. truck still would not start. cked gps no voltage going to plugs. but i could hear gp relay clicking about every 45 sec. or so. did a big no no shot just a verry small dose of either into intake and it cranked right off let it run for about 10-15 min. sounded real good no smoke at all, good throttle response, now just have to figure out gp issue. gona need water pump bearings was grawling. also gona need a clutch master and slave for it. and mabe a clutch kit reason for it being parked for the last 10 years. ok thx for all the help. gona do a search for gp circuit to see what i can find. thx again ed godbless all