New and need help

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

ryan6838

New and need help

Post by ryan6838 »

My buddy just got a defender that has a ld28t swapped in and were in need of help. First where can we find parts? Are most the non turbo and turbo parts interchangeable? He brought it with us when we went wheeling and he ran into some problems. It was hard to start sense he got it but we cant start it now. He got caught in a off camber mud hole and it started running bad so we were headed back to camp and it started smoking bad ( always smoked a little) so we towed it back to camp. After we towed it it doesn't want to start. I don't know diesels and he doesn't know anything. People have ideas of what it is but id like to get your input. Someone said glow plugs. After seeing the faq on ip pump belt sound like it could be. Any help would be great, thanks
minimog

Post by minimog »

I'd guess the injection pump belt has jumped a tooth or two. Linked is the FSM, you'll find info on checking the pump timing.

http://asavage.dyndns.org/Nissan/displa ... Page=0-001

Dave.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

If you put your location into you profile it helps figuring out what parts might be available to you and what engine versions you might be dealing with.

I don't believe I've heard of any LD28 that came with a factory turbo; maybe possibly in Australia but I don't think so. Somebody here knows for sure and will chime in if I'm off the road here. If true, that means you're dealing with a heavily modified engine (adding a turbo is a heavy mod, even if it's pretty much a bolt-on); also, in engine swaps the oil pickup may move around. You need to be detailed and exact on what is on the engine and how it's hooked up.

An FSM is pretty much required if you expect to keep the engine w/out a lot of hassle. Ebay seems to be a good source or maybe somebody here has one for sale. The biggest problem part I know of is the head gasket; make sure of that before doing anything that will require one.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
ryan6838

Post by ryan6838 »

Were in Ft Rucker Al. Its an land rover and ld28 from overseas, we dont know where. Its a RHD. Ive seen that they were available in Australia, japan and a few other places. Whats the FSM? I can take some pics for you guys. We dont have much details on the engine and the landy. Just what the dealed said and he said it was a partol 2.8 but it doesnt look like a rd28 it looks like a ld28. The swap was all done when he bought it.
ryan6838

Post by ryan6838 »

Were in Ft Rucker Al. Its an land rover and ld28 from overseas, we dont know where. Its a RHD. Ive seen that they were available in Australia, japan and a few other places. Whats the FSM? I can take some pics for you guys. We dont have much details on the engine and the landy. Just what the dealed said and he said it was a partol 2.8 but it doesnt look like a rd28 it looks like a ld28. The swap was all done when he bought it.
minimog

Post by minimog »

FSM= Factory Service Manual as per the link I posted. LD28 is quite a common conversion here in the UK which would be right for the RHD Land Rover you have.
Dave.