Nissan CN 4-33, SD22P1 WATER INJECTOR NEEDED.

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

STOPBATH777

Nissan CN 4-33, SD22P1 WATER INJECTOR NEEDED.

Post by STOPBATH777 »

What is the part number or a source for new water injector for a Nissan CN 4-33, SD22P1? This is the tall round pipe mounted on the exhaust manifold that the engine exhaust enters and water is added before moving on out the boat.
[/list]
Denny
Sailing Lake Mead, Nevada
Tom Young

Chrysler Nissan water injection elbow.

Post by Tom Young »

I think what you want is simply a generic part available at most marine supplies like Hamilton Marine here in Maine.

The water cooled exhaust manifold on the marine application has a plate bolted on the end that is threaded for standard piping. You'll want to follow standard marine exhaust design trying to get that elbow as high as possible, etc. to prevent back flow problems.

You can install a new injection elbow with standard black iron piping, then go to rubber hose and a wet exhaust system.

I've attached a page from Hamiliton Marine that shows an elbow that should work.

What kind of boat is the engine in? I'm familiar with these engines in the marine application if I can help further.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 2,340.html
STOPBATH777

Post by STOPBATH777 »

Thank you for the advice and information Tom. Not being able to find an exact replacement I used a 4” grinder with a cut off wheel and opened up the water injector. The exhaust pipe is upright into a large cup which has water flowing in on top of the cup. Problems were cup had several pin holes allowing water to drip down into exhaust pipe. Also exhaust pipe was burned off below the cup allowing water to splash into exhaust. Material is some alloy as non magnetic except for the flange that bolts to the engine exhaust manifold. I was able to use braze on the cup top to stop the leaks. Then I took the parts to a welding shop that added to the vertical exhaust and welded everything back together. This has stopped the water into the engine.
I just purchased this Challenger 35 ft. sail boat with the engine not starting. After drying out the Nissan SD-22 now will start but only with a shot of either. Once started engine seems to run fine. Compression is 360 on all 4 glow plug holes. A new starter and large battery bank did not help the starting engine problem.
Is the next step to remove valve cover and check timing and clearance?
Thank you for your help.
Denny
michael3006

Post by michael3006 »

I think that your compression figure is on the very low side, but I hasten to add my experience is with a sd23.
I spent 3 weeks of complete frustration after I put in new glow plugs which the parts store assured me were right. Turned out they were for my engine but in a different application so were being fed the wrong voltage. Engine wouldn't start no matter what till I towed up to about 40kph.
Good luck
STOPBATH777

Post by STOPBATH777 »

Thank you Michael for the information.
What kind of compression did you have on your SD-23?
I checked the glow plug current and all had 6-7 amps which is what the manual states. Even with 15 seconds of glow the engine will not start.
Denny
Tom Young

SD22 in a boat.

Post by Tom Young »

Hi Denny, my first thought was glow plugs too. These engines need hot glow plugs to start when cold(I fire mine for 30 seconds).

I can't say how low that compression so be sure the glow plugs are operating before you move onto anything else.

I know by experience the glow plugs pull more than 30 amps after a few seconds. I have 3' of 10 gauge wire from starting battery, through solenoid, to plugs, and the circuit blows a 30 amp fuse in short order.

I once had the push switch stick on my panel and the plugs ran for a half and hour before the solenoid melted! The glow plugs were not damaged.

Hope this helps.
michael3006

Post by michael3006 »

My SD23 showed 400psi in each pot.
My new wrong glow plugs were getting 10.47v don't remember the ampage. But the options in the parts manual showed 10.5v 11v and 12v glow plugs available for the sd23