My salvage engines, and bench starting.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

opie

Post by opie »

Thank you for the details on the operation of the pumps and fuel systems. I mostly expect the pump died on the gasoline at this point. It lived long enough to get gas through the injectors. When I unload it from the bed I'll be able to better access the cover to see if the belt is in place. I'll see about getting the solenoid from the other engine for a try. The other engine isn't as easy to access. It's stored behind inop cars in a garage. I don't know the cause of it being in the jy. Hopefully a belt, but it's likely gas too. I originally got it because of the crank for stroking the Zs, but I don't want to scrap another of these engines if it can be saved reasonably.

After I found the 1st engine, I saw an LD Max running around the south side of my town about 6 yrs ago driven by a gent around my age. It's possibly someone on this site, but I haven't seen it lately.

As for cranking this engine, I've cranked it with and without injectors in place. It's a starter and trans from my turbo ZX parts car I believe, but it only got a little warm. I loosened the injectors and then turned the engine over and one of them launched over my head. WOW, I should've thought about that.

Incidentally, one of the injectors is marked the same number on top as the other 5, but the lower portion is fatter with maybe some sort of a shrouding on it. There's also a wide aluminum looking washer on top of the copper washer.
Two salvage yard engines being diagnosed for repair.
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

opie wrote:Incidentally, one of the injectors is marked the same number on top as the other 5, but the lower portion is fatter with maybe some sort of a shrouding on it. There's also a wide aluminum looking washer on top of the copper washer.
I saw similar in a LD28 at a JY ~5 years ago. At the time I figured it was some sort of repair, like how a helicoil is used to repair a damaged sparkplug hole in a gasser.

Fuel cutoff solenoid workaround:
Remove solenoid, remove plunger, reinstall solenoid w/o plunger. Fuel will flow regardless of solenoid operability.
opie

Post by opie »

Thank you!
Two salvage yard engines being diagnosed for repair.