Changed fuel filters, can't get truck started

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

uglytruck

Changed fuel filters, can't get truck started

Post by uglytruck »

So, I changed out the fuel filters in my truck the other day and now I can't get the thing going again. From what I can tell it looks like fuel is not getting to the injectors. Gathering from what I've read on here, I need to maybe bleed the fuel lines and get the air out of the injection pump, but I haven't come across anything that explains in detail how to do that. I need a dumbed-down, step by step process. Keep in mind this is my first diesel and pretty much the first vehicle I've ever tried to anything more than change the oil on. I am dedicated to learning all I can about this, though. Thanks for any help!
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Hopefully you have not had to wait too long

What truck do you have, a 720 with an SD22/25 or a D21 with SD25 ?

It's a pretty easy process with the SD22?25 in the 720 truck.

There is a hand pump on the side of the fuel pump that you unscrew and then pump the air out through the bleeder screws. Once you get the truck to fire the rest of the system will bleed itself

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

To elaborate on Paul's advice:

The Inline style injection pump has all four high-pressure injection lines pointing straight up off the pump.

The Distributor style injection pump has all four high-pressure lines coming horizontal off the back, pointing to the firewall.

Most 720 pickups with the SD diesel in the US are the 1981-1982 years with the Inline pump.

There are two bleeder screws on the top of the Inline style injection pump that you loosen 1/2 turn, then you operate the hand primer pump.

If you have a Distributor style IP (ie a 1983 or newer, or an SD25) then the procedure is different, but few have that IP; let us know if you do.

For the rest of the Inline style bleed procedure, see these threads:
FUEL FILTERS (SD)

Using the priming pump.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.