FS: 1983 Maxima 5 speed diesel, EXCELLENT ENGINE!, $2500

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

barkford

FS: 1983 Maxima 5 speed diesel, EXCELLENT ENGINE!, $2500

Post by barkford »

Sadly my little project car has to go. Hope it will make someone in this forum happy tho. The body work is too much for me. Was able to really care for and maintain the engine however. From my Craigslist ad:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3712589695.html

1983 Datsun/Nissan Maxima (810) diesel 5 speed manual with a little over 124,000. I believe mileage is accurate. This car has the LD28 inline naturally aspirated 6 cylinder diesel engine. It runs strong and actually is fun. You pull up to a light and people look at the car like what is that noise? Then when the light turns green, this torque monster pulls you strongly ahead! It has good and bad parts. I'll start with the good. It drives well and cruises on the highway comfortably. Within the past year, it has had installed:
New tires
New tie rods
New control arms
New valve cover gasket
New fuel filter
New air filter
2 oil changes
Radiator fluid flush
New thermostat
New brake master booster
New master/slave clutch cylinders

I have receipts for this work, there has probably been a little more, I've cared well for the engine.

The bad:
This car is severely rusted. Seems to be chronic on early 80s Japanese cars. The rust on this one is not where you'd expect it - it's in the roof. The underside of the car and the doors/body panels are mostly rust free. But as I stated, the roof is heavily rusted thru around the sunroof. It is covered for now which makes it drivable in the rain. The other bad is the interior. Before I bought this car, it belonged to a Texas family who apparently left it in the sun every day of it's Texas life (and maybe under a heatlamp at night). The dashboard is severely cracked and the finishes inside have been tormented by the sun. I actually have a carfax on it showing the TX history on it when I bought it.

What works inside: Power windows actually work with gentle touches on the buttons. All lights, gauges, heater, signals, wipers do work.

I adore this car but the body work is too much for me to eliminate the rust. Hoping it will find a good home for someone that appreciates this fantastic engine and a classic car!

Clean NC title and has already passed NC inspection. Easy to register for you

Image Image Image Image Image Image
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Sorry to hear you couldn't find a way to put it all together. It sounds like a pretty good car except for the roof. Interiors can always be covered tastefully and left for the next life. Maybe you've already reviewed this sort of thing but I'll mention a long shot:..

Cut out the sun roof and patch in a shaped panel w/rivets and/or body glue. A really good body shop s/b able to do this. Or patch in a new sun roof from your favorite donor (BMW?). Might not be much harder and if the curvature was right it might actually be easier than a plain panel. This is a "cheat" but if done well could last 5 years or more - body glue is pretty damn good when applied properly.

However I see in the pic that you have rust at the top of the windshield on the driver side. That means the windshield may need to come out and I'm not sure about the success rate on stopping rust there. My own efforts haven't ever worked out but then I'm not really a body guy. Five years ago replacement windshields were about $400 installed.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

Hi

Nice to see someone who is fairly close to me on here.

I like your car, unfortunately I think you're pricing is ambitious. I might be off base and apologize if I am. Does anyone have an opinion on the fair market value of this car? I tried KBB, the latest year on there is 1993. GLWS
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
Duaneclark

values of car

Post by Duaneclark »

I've been shopping a lot for these cars, and you can buy a good runner with good body for 2500 and up for especially clean. I've seen these motors for sale and lets assume that as a parts car, the motor and trans is worth $750-$1000. Then the body for parts, it has to have some good items, $500-to maybe $800, then tires, wheels, ? So a guess could be $1250 to $1800, or so depending, $2500 might be a little high. Of course anything is only worth what someone will pay. Duane
Duane
blinocac200sx

Post by blinocac200sx »

Any chance this is still available?
Duaneclark

Re:still available?

Post by Duaneclark »

Honestly, if this was nearby, I'd try to find a way to buy it. Duane
Duane
WinstonMendez

Re: FS: 1983 Maxima 5 speed diesel, EXCELLENT ENGINE!, $2500

Post by WinstonMendez »

hello friend i know thread is old but do you still have this beauty car? We can make very good deal so please reply ASAP..
ShayneThill

Post by ShayneThill »

The car is too old to pass the vehicle inspection.
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

That doesn't even make sense. I live in NC and currently have 2 of these vehicles with current inspection and registration. I believe there are some of these in CA that are inspected and registered.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED