datsun nissan sd22 forklift problem

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dieselman ireland

datsun nissan sd22 forklift problem

Post by dieselman ireland »

hi guys im brian from ireland and i am sorry if im not posting in the right place..i recently bought a datsun nissan 2.5 ton forklift with an sd22 engine ,which is completly wrecked..i looked everywhere for an sd22 over here but they are all gone for export to africa and the likes ...a friend called and told me he had a nissan urvan with good engine he could give me cheap,but its a sd25 ..so my question is will it fit are the engine mountings the same and will the gearbox bell housing bolt together, i know i will have to change flywheels ,but i dont want to be changing everything ,i dont mind working at this but if you guys could give me alittle advice or tell me another type of engine that would fit that would be very much appreciated ,i dont want to bring it home and find out that it wont bolt to the gearbox or engine mountings ...thank you so much everybody for your help and have a good day:) take care brian...ireland
bf.ireland
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

To my knowledge the SD25 will fit where the SD22 was.
The bell housing will be the same. Not that certain if you even have to change the flywheel as I think they are the same as well, however not 100% sure if the balance is the same.
But,,,,,, why not use the flywheel from the sd 25 ? Get it checked for flat, heat cracks, etc and use it.
"IF" the flywheel in the forklift application is one of those real heavy ones, then take it (the one from the 22) to a machine shop with the flywheel from the 25 and get them balanced the same.
The fuel pump may be different and the starter on the 25 may be a reduction type as opposed to the direct drive type. They are virtually the same engine. The 22 had 3 main bearings and the 25 had 5.
The glow system on the 25 may be different but the glow plugs will interchange. Use the 22 glow plugs in the 25. Just swap the plugs.
(the ones in the 25 may be made for a different timer system ).

If it were me, I would drop the 25 in it's place and deal with different fuel lines/glow plugs etc.

I have however, been wrong before, I seen it happen.

The "aggravation factor" in the swap over, to be honest, will be minimal,,,,,

IMO that is.

Good Luck, and let us know how it works out.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
dieselman ireland

thank you so much for your reply ,i will sit the engine in place and take care of the other problems then ,thanks again for the help...:)
bf.ireland
dieselman ireland

hi guys when i got to my mates urvan the other day i was sick when i looked under the hood and seen it was the newer nissan engine it was a 1991 model van i think it is a h type nissan engine it had the black rocker cover...so back to the grind stone ,i was really lucky and found an sd25 in a breakers yard but they dropped it from the crane and everything is pretty much wrecked but the block and head ...my own head looks better than the one on the sd25 ,so will my sd22 head fit on the sd25 block,it mite have worked out better for me because the sd25 is from a forklift and i was worried about the pump for the hydraulics ,that there would be know were to bolt it on to the van engine ,i have to build all my stuff from the sd22 to the sd25 and i hope everything works ,if somebody could verify this for me that would be great ,also gona bring it to the shop tomorrow and get head and block skimmed and check piston rings,so i have my work cut out for me ,ill let you know how i get on ...thank you and take care:)
bf.ireland
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

The Head will most likely bolt on but if it's the same configuration as far as coolant and oil passages I doubt it. That being said I could be wrong, I have seen that before for sure.

How much different is the newer model engine ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
dieselman ireland

the newer model engine is different thr starter looks to be on the other side ,its hard to tell when its in the 1991 urvan ,but i think im gona buy it anyway ill try and get some pics when i get it home as for my sd25 block and sd22 head i think i should be ok ,when i brought it to the shop the guy said it should be fine every thing lines up all the ports and holes ,took all the pistons out and honed the bores and replaced pistons all rings were fine ,as i said ill try and post some pics if you guys dont mind and thank you for all the help lads....:)have a good day ...
bf.ireland
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Pictures are always good. Are you sure that the hone did it's job? I thought that the liners were chrome and that a hone was pretty much a waste of time. The being said, if you were to just break the glaze off them then I that that may help.
As mentioned, a photo record is always a help to those that may follow.

Looking forward to them

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
ehtrain

Post by ehtrain »

does the van have a td25 not an sd25? the td25 has the starter on the right side from sitting in drivers seat. and the sd25 has starter on left sitting in drivers seat. by the looks of my td27t an from some research they did come with the same transmission as the sd25 did for several years then switched to the vg30 (v6) 5spd and auto. if its a non turbo td25 it could possibly still have the fs5w71 gear box but may use a ka24 gas or sr20 gas or similar belhousing rather then the "sd" belhousing

td25 has cross flow head (manifold on each side) and sd 25 has both manifolds on the same side as the starter

ive never seen a td25 but they are apparently little brother to td27 but non turbo as I understand. But cruising forums there are mentions of a td25t same as the sd25t. maybe they were made in very few numbers
dieselman ireland

well guys i got my fork lift going ,i used the sd25 block and the sd22 head and its going like a dream ,it was starving itself of diesel when started first but it was the little lift pump that was screwed up so took it off and got it reconditioned in the shop and all is running smooth now except for the hydraulics wont lift the forks and they were working before the engine broke down...they worked for a bit and then stopped completely the ram wont lift the forks now ,i took out the filter going to the rams and i will get one in the morning but if its not that im not sure i dont know alot about hydraulics so any help would be appreciated thanks for all the help guys take care:)and yea the other engine is a td25 thanks again:)
bf.ireland
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

1. Check hydraulic oil level.
2. Make sure intake hose/line to the main pump are sound, i.e., not sucking air in through a hole or by a loose clamp/connection. That would kill suction.
3. Make sure the pump is actually turning, being driven. Check pump shaft coupling is sound.
4. Prime and bleed pump. It could be air-locked.
5. Report back on what you found when you get it going

NR
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
dieselman ireland

thanks man ,it was the filter inside the hydraulic tank ,replaced it and now fine thank you...:)
bf.ireland
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

:roll: Dag nab it; I forgot to mention the suction screen! LOL!
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
dieselman ireland

thanks again but i am faced with a new problem with my little forklift ,it started leaking hydraulic oil out from right under the steering wheel ,it looks like its been pushed up from somewhere at the bottom of the steering column and leaks out under the steering wheel ,i guess there is a seal of some sort gone down there ,the steering column runs in to a steering box which can be opened by four bolts i wonder if the seal is in there...i was talking to a friend and he said be careful putting it back together has the steering wheel could start spinning on me he said if not put together right it could turn into a motor in stead of a steering and the steering wheel would spin out of control and pull your arm off ,im not sure if this is right or if my friend smoked to much purple haze this evening ,but im a sort of afraid to try and fuck around with it now ,any advice would be welcome thanks guys for all the help....:)
bf.ireland
hannahaidan

Post by hannahaidan »

Hi brian have you still got old sd 22 engine i need parts foe my mine and if you still have it i will buy it ,I am in laois so only down the road. Thanks Aidan.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

Sounds like the top seal of the steering handpump is blown...

N_R