SOLD: 82 Max diesel for sale, with pics!

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

Tony

SOLD: 82 Max diesel for sale, with pics!

Post by Tony »

I've got an 82 Maxima diesel that is for sale. I love this car, but don't drive it like I used to, and it's time it went to someone else. This forum has folks that truely love these things, so I want to be sure you folks know about it.
I'll add some pics, but I'm just getting it cleaned up and ready to go, so I haven't shot pics yet. Anyway, it's body has no dents, but wants paint eventually, the engine is strong and solid, and runs great. Starts right up, except when the temps are below freezing. Usually double or triple heating the glo plugs, gets it going in the cold cold.
The interior isn't great. The power windows work, all the signals, and even the voice. The voice always irritated me but I understand collectors love the voice :) Anyway, she is there and will nag you until you turn off your lights, or close your door, lol. It's a 5 speed, and it takes a while to get up to speed, but will cruise at 70, or more, all day. A lot of the miles are the 100 mile round trip to work in Atl. It had about 85,000 miles when I got it from my cousin, who bought it new.
The air worked when I parked it, but the freon seems to have leaked out while sitting, and I've not converted it over, so you'd need some old style freon, or do a conversion. The hoses seem fine, so I'd guess it has some dried seals. All I can say is it worked before it sat, so I feel it probably isn't mechanical.
The power steering rack has a leaking seal, and may want replacing sooner or later, but it isn't noisy, now I've tightened up the belt some, and it handles fine. It is great on the road, just cruises along, no wobble in the steering wheel. It's always been a great road car. I used it for years as a work car, and the only problems I ever had on the road, was needing a new clutch suddenly, but I limped home, the master cylindar replacing, and the fuel filter going bad suddenly and needing to find a place to pull over. I always have several filters in the trunk so the fix was quick, but the sudden need to change the filter was always a surprise :) It just never gave much, if any, warning, when it wanted changing.
The car has pretty much sat unused for the last 5 years, so I'm test driving it now, to make sure there are no hidden problems, before I put it out on the street with a sign, but so far the only problem arising is my resolve to sell it eroding as I'm reminded how much I like this car. It has 209,000 miles and has always gotten pretty much 28 mpg, or more. I've been wanting to put in some new injectors and see if I can up that even more, but haven't, and now, won't.
There is some pretty minor rust around the edges, by windows, around the sun roof, etc. I'll get some pics of it. The bottom looks fine, as I had it up on my ramps recently to bleed the brakes. It probably is time for new pads around, but I won't be doing it. I replaced several bleeder screws and that was enough of a job for me in my old age.
It has the cloth seats, and they are chewed up. It would want some new seats, unless you want to use it as a work car, or parts car, but a shade tree mechanic, with some knowledge of this car, could have themselves something, with interior work, and with a new paint job.
I'm going to ask 1250 for it. I'm in Ga. about 40 miles out from Atlanta, and you'll have to come get it. I can't deliver. Based on the way it's test driving, I'd drive it to Ala., Fla. Sc. Tenn, etc. No sure I'd set off to Cali. or NY, without some more testing, lol. It's an old car, that's been sitting, so ya takes yer chances :)
If any are interested, give me a few days, and I'll get up some pics, but I thought I'd test the waters here, before I hit Craigslist. Thanks,
Tony

Here are the links to pics. With a picture of the worst of the rust spots. It went out to the end of the drive this weekend.
http://dsaur.home.comcast.net/frontview.jpg

http://dsaur.home.comcast.net/rearview.jpg

http://dsaur.home.comcast.net/rust.jpg
dvdmynhnz

Post by dvdmynhnz »

I'm interested in your car. I'd be coming up from Pensacola. Please send contact info to dm26@students.uwf.edu
Thanks,
Dave
David
Tony

Post by Tony »

dvdmynhnz wrote:I'm interested in your car. I'd be coming up from Pensacola. Please send contact info to dm26@students.uwf.edu
Thanks,
Dave
Hey, Dave, I sent you an email! Tony
Dr. Jones

Post by Dr. Jones »

If you are looking for cheap reliable transportation, you found it. Please, let us know if it has sold.
'82 Maxima Sedan x2
'92 Saab 9000 Griffin Edition Wrecked
'80 Ford E100(twisted tranny) SCRAPPED
Tony

Post by Tony »

Yep, I still have it. I haven't advertise except for here. I just do like I do with every car I've ever sold, put it out on the road, and wait for someone to buy it.
I put in a new power steering belt, a real chore, so I went up 50 bucks. The leaking seal no longer leaks due to some really good seal treatment. I've put more miles on it around town and it's as great as it ever was. It's got it's idiosyncrasies being over 30, but it's a good car, with a rough inside :)
Tony

Post by Tony »

The car has been sold.