New SD22 from Soot Fart finally installed in forklift

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

rustie

New SD22 from Soot Fart finally installed in forklift

Post by rustie »

Thought you guys would like to see the final installation of the SD22 I purchased from Soot Fart this last summer. I made the drive all the way up to Puyallup Washington from Ventura California with a friend of mine in a rented car to pick it up (what a drive!!!)

Upon inspection, the SD22 was a mottled yellow (after all the years of storage), but was indeed brand new, zero time in the old wooden crate. We opened the air cleaner and found only brand new yellow paint with a still white paper air filter element. Then when we drained the oil (so we could lay the engine on it's side), it was still a clear golden colored after nearly 40 years of storage. Cracked the valve cover off and the whole interior was again, totally brand new.

Painted the engine Ford blue, but later found out that Mopar blue was much closer. Oh well....looks good, and runs like a CHAMP (has more power than my other forklift with an SD25!!!) Comments? Here's some pics:

Loaded up in the back of the rental car (on side):

Nissan (Datsun) QF02 5000lb capacity forklift with empty engine bay:

Forklift counterweight removed (4000lbs):

Nissan transmission:

Old SD22 engine removed:

Old SD22 vacuum throttle injection unit:

Old SD22 with needed parts removed:

SD22...old vs new (with original exh and intake). Note butterfly throttle:

New SD22 parts removed (flywheel housing, orig new tractor/marine injection pump, intake & exhaust manifolds):

Old SD22 vacuum throttle injection pump gears removed and installed in new SD22 (timing marks are different):

NOS Nissan vacuum throttle injection pump (found on ebay):

New injection pump installed:

New injection pump installed (close up):

Original SD22 flywheel housing needed bolt hole repair (brazed and milled):

Original SD22 flywheel housing (close up):

New SD22 complete with original (repaired) flywheel housing:

New SD22 installed (1):

New SD22 installed (2):

New SD22 installed (3):

New SD22 running perfectly in Nissan QF02, 5000lb, Quad Mast (244") with mast only 60% raised (it will reach the ceiling):

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

NICE !
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rustie

Post by rustie »

Well plenzen....thanks to your "heads up" earlier this year (May 2013) on the availability of this engine from soot fart, I was able to complete the entire lengthy process (and how!) to locate, pick up, modify and install this engine in a rare forklift.

It's rare because it's a high lift (four mast), 244" reach Nissan QF02 original SD22 diesel powered truck that had moderately low hours for a forklift (8k).

When I sold my building material supply company 10 years ago, I kept two yard forks for inevitable use....a standard reach (dual mast) SD25 powered Viking forklift, and this high reach SD22 powered Nissan from 1975. It had little use because of the massive 10" diameter, triple stage telescoping lift cylinder mounted right in the middle of the lift frames that reduced visibility until raised (no one wanted to use it).

The last engine maintenance was performed in December 2012 by a clueless DS mechanic who used ether (instead of WD40) to prime the engine when filling the empty fuel filters. This caused a leaking head gasket, possible bearing damage, and who knows what else. It never ran right after that "preventative maintenance" he performed. Anyone need a cheap block/head core???

So, thanks again plenzen
charmalu

Post by charmalu »

You did a nice clean installation, this should last you a long time. Just keep the DS mechanics away form it. ;>)

That was a long run up the West Coast for the engine, but worth it.

I picked up a used SD-22 and 5-spd Trans, supposedly with 110K miles on it in Vancouver, Wa this past summer. A few 100 less miles than you, but still a ways up there. Daughter lives in Portland, that was the other excuse for going up.

Happy new Year. about 1 hr to go. :>))

Charlie
82 Datsun KC 483K lost #2 cyl blowing blue smoke :cry:
83 Nissan LB 134K SD-25 as of 10-21-13
78 240D Mercedes $300 Parts?
80 240D 360K
80 240D Parts? $750
82 240D Parts? $440
84 300SD 270K
85 300D 363K
86 Ford F250 6.9 Diesel 221K
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just curious as to why you had to change the fuel pump ?

Because of the vacuum pump on it ?
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rustie

Post by rustie »

Yeah....zatcly. The original new FI pump on the engine from soot fart (not sure what type) was likely more suited for a steady state throttle position...for tractors or marine applications (but not completely sure about that).

In fact, this engine from soot fart was likely destined for a boat (I think he had mentioned something about it). If memory serves me right, soot fart wanted a Toyota diesel, not this Nissan....which was great for me!

The brand new "vacuum controlled" Diesel Kiki FI pump I was sooooo lucky to have picked up months earlier was exactly the same as my original....and was a very easy installation. We did need to transfer over all the timing gears though...the original gears on soot fart's new engine were one tooth advanced, and we weren't sure what that timing advance would have done to the throttle-ability. The gears we transferred from my original engine weren't even worn a bit...and they had one additional gear to spin the hydraulic pump (also timed for whatever reason).

With this type vacuum sensing pump, there are NO throttle linkages attached to the pump....only to the throttle plate butterfly....which DOES NOT open OR close completely (has stops at both ends). This obviously sends some amount of differential vacuum signal to the pump that then perfectly (and instantly) regulates engine RPM exactly the same as a gas engine (and actually even faster!) Seems to be a very well thought out design though.

Are these vacuum sensing pumps common?
Last edited by rustie 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Have not seen one actually and not sure what exactly it is for.

The fuel pump that was originally on the engine you got would have worked fine in this application. ( depending on what the vacuum feature actually did or does or course) You would have needed to add a linkage to it though. That engine you got from S F was an industrial engine that could be used in trucks or cars, as well. We used this engine as it looked from SF and made them into marine engines with some simple add on and take off pieces. The manifold(s) and alternators. When we converted them for generator use we removed the fuel pumps and had them send out for 1800 rpm and given fuel settings adjusted as well as the governors set to react faster to load settings.
That fuel pump you have removed from the SF engine will be a great find for someone on here that needs another one for their SD22. I think it was governed for 3700 rpm but not 100% on that.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

rustie

I am glad this has worked out for you.

Another member is looking for a head. Is your old one useable and available?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
rustie

Post by rustie »

dn, I'm assuming it's in good shape, but I haven't disassembled the the long block to determine it's condition. Now that I'm not in a pinch to rebuild it, I was hoping to find some shop with reasonable rates to do just that...of course depending on what's worn out.

Don't know the condition of the bearings or rods either, but as soon as I can free up some time, I can pull the head and pan to find out. PM me your email address and once I get it apart, I can send some pics...
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

The vacuum type pump you installed on your engine is what came on all 1981/82 Datsun 720 diesel(SD22) trucks in the US.
They are a durable pump that will last a long time, the only time I see any issues with this injection pump is when people start burning vegetable oil, or some other home made fuel from waste oils.
It is indeed run by vacuum, and is nearly impossible to convert to manual throttle control, as the rack is very sensitive to very small movements.

I have one of these injection pumps on a forklift engine I bought a few years ago, you cannot go wrong with this pump.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
rustie

Post by rustie »

wayno...outside of the vegetable oil thing (which I imagine is not good for any of these pumps), do you have any knowledge or idea why Nissan used this vacuum version over the simpler cable operated version (shown in photo #10 above) ?

Any advantage in throttle-ability over the above cable operated version?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Why did they use the inline pump instead of the VE pump, my guess would be that it is a lot harder for the backyard mechanic to modify(turbocharge) the inline injection pump, maybe it met the emissions standards easier that way, I have no idea, it likely had something to do with money.
dn29626

Post by dn29626 »

rustie

Make sure your notifications are turned on for future posts.
The head is not for me but i will PM you.

waynosworld

I am thinking spare diesel engine.
I am going to PM you as well.
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

dn29626 wrote:rustie

Make sure your notifications are turned on for future posts.
The head is not for me but i will PM you.

waynosworld

I am thinking spare diesel engine.
I am going to PM you as well.

I am not sure what this post means.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

This VE type injection pump is what most of the rest of the world got, although I could be wrong.

This injection pump would work on most any automotive and forklift application, except that the governor would be tweaked depending on application.
They made all sorts of different injection pumps, I have no idea what they are all used for, no one does, we just work with what we have or can fabricate.
Last edited by waynosworld 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.