Final problem Bosch VE

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

michael3006

Final problem Bosch VE

Post by michael3006 »

I have had a great run out of my 1985 Nissan sd23.
But as many are finding out parts are gettin scarce. I think I need a new Bosch VE rotary inj pump.
I recently began to have starting problems. Replaced glows and they were all burned out. Then burned out again, so I by passed the glow timer circuit cause it was staying on too long and burning the plugs out.
Had the compression checked all 4 in the 126 range so all good as far as I can tell.
But still hard to start, I can tow start it in a very short distance but cranking engine for ages just will not make it run.
The local mechanic who did the compression test says it is most likely the inj pump.
I have posted a WTB in the right section here.
But I am open to suggestions.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Have someone rebuild yours, they are out there rebuilt, but it is not cheap.
Here is one over there(AU) for a SD22, maybe they can rebuild yours.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DIESEL-FUEL- ... ffb&_uhb=1
This is on your gumtree site, ask them about rebuilding yours, or maybe they have what you need.
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beckenha ... 1018907713
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
michael3006

Post by michael3006 »

Thanks mate but the ebay cost will end up being too high. They want 1200 for the exchange pump then it will cost me 5 to 600 to have it fitted, cause I don't know how. Also I will need to have the old pump removed at what cost I'm not sure.
But thankyou for the gumtree link I have been looking on there but only looked in Nissan 720's breaking. I emailed them and will be keen to see the answer.
Thanks again.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I wonder if the fuel is not draining back or out of the fuel pump when it sits. Almost sounds like a no fuel problem.

Try cracking one or more of the injector lines when you first start to crank it. It should be spitting fuel immediately.

Or, find a small inline fuel pump and turn it on a few seconds before cranking the engine. Might be something as simple as fuel bleed back.
Perhaps the fuel cap is not venting and your getting a vacuum build up in the fuel tank.
Maybe after you bring it home for the day and shut it down, loosen the fuel cap and see if there is vacuum in it. You will hear it. Leave it loose for the night and then see when it's cold.
It may be siphoning back as well and there is a small fitting you can get to stop that from happening. It's a John Deere tractor part IIRCC.

Just a thought

FYI I had my VE pump rebuilt 4 months ago. Lots of new pieces inside and all new seals. Cost $980.00 Cdn. ( $1050.00 +/- Aud )

Maybe reach out to forum member davehoos. ( although I have not seen him on here for a while, pm may still work for him )
He's in Aus and may have some connections for you, or may even have a pump for you.
He's a good resource "DOWN THERE "

Not quite sure about how far Karuah Valley is from where you are though.
May be a bit of a hike.

Here is his info

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/profile. ... ofile&u=28
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
michael3006

Post by michael3006 »

From here to Kahrua is about a 25 hour drive, if I could drive there.
The electric fuel pump is a good idea, but unfortunately I forgot to say I already put one in about a year ago.
The fuel pump runs as soon as the ignition switch hits Acc.
I then usually give it a few seconds before I power the glows for 6 sec and hit the starter.
I even tried ether today to see if that would get me going but no start without a tow.
Thanks for the ideas I do appreciate the time you put in.
All ideas are greatfully accepted. I will PM the Aussie you suggested.
Thanks
Mick
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just looked at your compression numbers again. The min compression for that engine I think is 360 +/- and the standard is 430+/- or thereabouts. I be thinking she may be a bit tired.
Sorry about that, I should have caught that to start with.
As for ether! DO NOT DO THAT!!!! You will damage the cylinder head. Ether very very bad for an IDI engine. Take the can of ether and bury it in dessert. ! Davehoos may be able to source a replacement motor for you. Maybe.
Have to decide if the vehicles worth I guess.

Good luck.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
michael3006

Post by michael3006 »

Thanks fellas. I did get a reply from the board member down here, but unfortunately he can't help, but did give me some ideas.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Hope it works out for you
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN