Attention SD22's of Portland Oregon.

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

justanother54321

Attention SD22's of Portland Oregon.

Post by justanother54321 »

I just moved to Portland Oregon and I am looking to make local connections with people on this forum.

Sometimes having a second set of eyes familiar to the machine or knowing someone who knows what the local source for parts and repairs.

So those in Portland please don't be shy.

Thanks,
1982 720 SD22 CA Emission
Driftwood

Still lookin for some Portlanders?

Post by Driftwood »

Hi, I just signed in here and saw your posting. I live here in Portland and just bought an 82' Datsun 720 w/ an SD-22. It's been sitting for quite a few years but just got it running the other day! Just having issues with the IP motor or the DPC module...engine doesn't shut off. Going to isolate the problem this weekend.

Do you know anyone in the area willing to go over the engine with me and make sure everything's in order. Did you ever end up finding a good mechanic? I'm learning as I go. I've got to say it's been a pleasure working on these machines so far. So much space to work with and everything is mechanical!

Cheers!
nissandieselcrazy

mecanical fix

Post by nissandieselcrazy »

You can use a choke cable to shut off fuel. Use it to replace the servomotor.
SD22 in 86.5 Nissan K/C 4x4 scapped
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

The mechanical cable fix does not provide the Start position, which can make cold weather starts problematic.

The IPC usually doesn't break, though I've heard a couple of noisy ones (dry bearings). I have an NOS one if you need one. The DPC modules frequently die, mostly with a failed relay. Philip was able to repair his by soldering in a new relay, and I've done the same on my diesel Sentra's GP controller.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

asavage wrote:The mechanical cable fix does not provide the Start position, which can make cold weather starts problematic.
Actually, that depends on how you set it up during installation. I have mine set up to 'full enrich' when the cable is pushed in all the way. After starting, I pull out the handle until a scribed line appears on the cable pull-piece as it emerges from the casing after which the pull-piece is turned to lock it. Works perfectly and has never given a problem...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yeah, that *can* be made to work, as you illustrate. I don't think it's an optimum solution, esp. as the original system has the advantage of shutting off the engine if oil pressure fails, and it can't be left in excess-fuel mode if you forget to pull the cable back out to your line.

By the time you've added the cable and drilled the firewall, the DPC module could have been repaired.

But, to each their own.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

I couldn't have kept mine anyway as the frame arrangement on the Ranger made it impossible :-)
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
waynosworld

Re: Attention SD22's of Portland Oregon.

Post by waynosworld »

justanother54321 wrote:I just moved to Portland Oregon and I am looking to make local connections with people on this forum.

Sometimes having a second set of eyes familiar to the machine or knowing someone who knows what the local source for parts and repairs.

So those in Portland please don't be shy.

Thanks,

Did you ever get a response from anyone in your area?
I live across the river in Vancouver and daily drive these little trucks.
I like talking about these diesel engines, and know a few in the area, even one that is turbocharged now.
My email is,

tmdatsuns@gmail.com
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
nissandieselcrazy

I live close by

Post by nissandieselcrazy »

I live in Astoria Or. and Dad and I both have experience with nissan and isuzu diesel.
SD22 in 86.5 Nissan K/C 4x4 scapped