Oil Pump Drive Gear - Anyone have a good one or NOS

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

jevans

Oil Pump Drive Gear - Anyone have a good one or NOS

Post by jevans »

I am rebuilding an SD 22 that I have had in a Ranger pickup for the past 9 years. I managed to find everything that I needed including a new camshaft and oil pump, but when I went to put the engine together I noticed that the drive gear/shaft that rides on the camshaft and drives the pump has 4-5 maybe not/fairly significant chips missing from the teeth. If I cant find another I will have no choice to use it but I would really like a good used one, or even better a NOS one. Anyone out there have one of these. I live in Western Canada but have a US mailing address worked out too. The part number on this is: 15040-37504 or 15040-37503, or 15040-37502 ( I think this one works too but it is for an earlier SD). Is this a normal thing for this part? Perhaps why there are three part numbers? I have been watching ebay in USA, Canada, and Australia, and have tried ordering from 3 suppliers in Japan that said they had it and it turned out they do not. Here are the images of the part. Let me know what you got and we can talk about a price.

IMG_20220226_221109.jpg
IMG_20220226_221109.jpg (148.08 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
Attachments
IMG_20220226_221127.jpg
IMG_20220226_221127.jpg (105.95 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
waynosworld

Re: Oil Pump Drive Gear - Anyone have a good one or NOS

Post by waynosworld »

I will try to look for this tomorrow, I do not remember that part, but it has been a while since dealing with a SD22 engine.

How soon do you need this?
Last edited by waynosworld 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
jevans

Post by jevans »

I am thinking I am 3 weeks from needing it. It is accessible from the outside of the block. There is a cover plate between the oil filter mount and the oil cooler. If you pop the cover off you can reach in with a pair of plyers and pull it out. I think the oil cooler has to come off to get the cover plate off. I will take a photo next time I am at the shop. It is a part that I think many people leave in and never look at. Thanks for looking into it.

Joel
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I looked in the bins/tubs and could not find this part, I checked every baggie, I do not know why it is not in there as the cam is in there, maybe the cam came out without removing that gear, I do not remember anymore as it was ten years ago when I scrapped that engine out.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
jevans

Post by jevans »

Thanks for looking. Its integrated into the block so you really don't see it. Likely got tossed with the block. The cam and oil pump come off without needing to remove it.
jevans

Post by jevans »

Still looking for one of these. Anyone else have engines that could be parted out.