Quiet

General information about the first-generation Nissan Maxima in the US. What was the Datsun 810 became the luxury leader Maxima in the US in 1981.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Duaneclark

Quiet

Post by Duaneclark »

Looks like this group is quiet these days? How many are driving a diesel Maxima daily like me? Just curious. Almost 40 years old but performs like a champ.
Duane
jevans

Re: Quiet

Post by jevans »

It does seem quiet. Is the maxima an inline six diesel. I think my friend has a gas maxima back in high school passed down from his parents and I remember a inline six gas engine I think. Can't say I have seen one since then, and I have an affinity for old Nissans ( for some strange reason) . I'm glad to hear your keeping her alive. New cars just seem all the same to me.
1982810maximadiesel

Post by 1982810maximadiesel »

Yes it has ...I drive mine once I'm a while last year we drove it to western Pennsylvania from South Florida over 3000 miles performed flawlessly original engine no oil burning 365000 miles
nissan_nerd

Post by nissan_nerd »

Just got my hands on a 82 diesel that I've been eyeing for over 7 years now. Drive it almost everyday here in SoCal. Runs amazing except for my injection pump leak that I was quoted $1500-$2000 to reseal. Drips steadily when cold and goes away when warm. I could live with it if it didn't make such a mess. I hope I can find a more affordable shop before I consider swapping in a l24 gasser.

I know only of 10 people in the United States with a running diesel Maxima. Not many of us left.
1982 Maxima Diesel
1984 Maxima Gasser
Duaneclark

Post by Duaneclark »

It should cost around 600-800 to reseal, (rebuild) the injection pump. But that's removing it yourself and delivering to the shop. So the quote of $1500 for entire job might be reasonable. It would be much easier to fix the pump leak, to go to the gas engine would cost many times more, entire wiring harness, possible gauges, fuel system, etc. I posted a article on this forum a while back, one of my diesels started a big injection pump leak, so I parked it for several years. But when I started it again, no leak, and I've been driving it for 2 more years with no leak. I know, that's crazy.
Duane
Duaneclark

Post by Duaneclark »

I just thought about the electronic fuel injection with the gas engines of 1981-1984. That would mean entire wiring harness with computer. Fixing the diesel injection pump is the easiest way to go. It would be cheaper and easier to find a gas Maxima rather than convert a diesel.
Duane
nissan_nerd

Post by nissan_nerd »

It was $1500 with me removing the pump myself, which was described to me by my old school Datsun mechanic friend as a big PITA with the motor in the car. I did some reflecting this past week and decided to keep the car diesel. There's not many diesel Maximas left, especially ones still LD powered. I need to keep the motor alive no matter what.

I just got my hands on a rare Datsun diesel service manual that unlike the car's FSM gives me complete diagrams of the IP. My 81 Diesel FSM just tells you to replace the whole pump! No longer possible sadly unless by some miracle someone here has a NOS IP on their shelf. I might have a lead on a spare IP, so I can have extra insurance when I attempt to seal it. Its going to be a challenge, no doubt about that, but I would HATE to kill a perfectly good LD for the crank.

Anyways, the leak is sporadic. It will leak a lot sometimes, drip sometimes, and sometimes not leak at all! Never leaks when warm. Right now I just throw a pan under it until she's at operating temperature. Drive her almost every day and still get decent mileage even with the 3 speed. Not bad for a 40 year old car I guess?
1982 Maxima Diesel
1984 Maxima Gasser
Khaj

Post by Khaj »

I guess I’m part of the last ld28 maximas to be running been trying to find parts for my injector pump and just in general becoming a pain but it’s okay I love this car
1983 maxima ld28 5 spd manual minimal rust
Markb280

Post by Markb280 »

I have an 82 diesel that i drive on weekends has 207,000 and runs great. great forum.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

nissan_nerd wrote: 1 year ago . . . unless by some miracle someone here has a NOS IP on their shelf . . .
I believe I bought up the last two NOS LD28 IPs in the USA, around 2007. They are long gone now. Here's the story: viewtopic.php?t=1045
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.