New SD22 from Soot Fart finally installed in forklift

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Its a proper SOB to change too, even with the oil filter off. The two nipples are less than 1/2 inch apart.

Potty mouth required !
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
SkerDiesel

Re: New SD22 from Soot Fart finally installed in forklift

Post by SkerDiesel »

It may be a long shot since this is such an old post but do you still have any of those parts left over? I'm transplanting a sd-25 from a forklift to a skidsteer and need a starter and flywheel from a marine/stationary unit to make it work. I was able to source a flywheel housing already but not having any luck with the other parts.
rustie

Post by rustie »

I still have the old SD22 Nissan engine core, but from rote, I don't remember if we used the existing starter and flywheel or if these were included with the new SD22. The next time I'm at my warehouse, I'll double check to see what's left on the core and post any positive findings....
SkerDiesel

Post by SkerDiesel »

That would be awesome. From your pictures it looks like you had to switch to the forklift parts from the old engine. I'll keep my fingers crossed that is the case.

Thanks.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Brought back lots of memories from near 50 yrs ago seeing that old yellow thing lying in the back of that rental.

Thanks for posting the update.

I think I'm going to start listing some of the spares I have for my SD25 pretty soon. The old 87 is still chugging along but sadly the body is dissolving now and I really don't have the ambition or the time to look for a donor to put it all into.

Nice job Mr.

How close are you to starting it ? Would be fun to watch a video of it lighting for the first time after all these years.

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
rustie

Post by rustie »

"How close are you to starting it ? Would be fun to watch a video of it lighting for the first time after all these years"

If you're talking about the SD22 marine diesel that I got from soot fart, it was running 7 years ago, and now runs nearly each time I go back to my warehouse to move things around. Has worked perfectly ever since, but that first start was indeed 7 years ago...
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Reading things backwards again.
Oh well

Good to hear anyway.

I forget things sometimes. So far I can still find my own way home, most times anyway.
Bugs me.
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
SkerDiesel

Post by SkerDiesel »

Just circling back to this since I was thinking about it tonight. Fromm what I can tell in your pictures it looks like the original flywheel was taken off. If you get the chance to see if it is still around let me know, I'm ready to get this machine working again.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220504-195758_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220504-195758_Chrome.jpg (864.75 KiB) Viewed 2328 times
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Sadly, this forum can no longer send email to folks who are subscribed with gmail accounts, so it's possible the person you're asking will not know you've asked.

Consider using the forum's "Send email to . . . " feature to reach out the member. Do NOT use "PM", as if they have a gmail account, it just bounces to my personal Inbox, and I haven't found a way to satisfy Google that email generated by the forum is legit.

Such are the times we live in.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I did not notice this thread until today, SD25 parts are hard to find, even 12 years ago I could not find an SD25 flywheel, so this is what I did 12 years ago.

This is a modified 225mm Nissan Z22 flywheel I think, I had a machine shop remove the Z22 starter ring gear and install a SD22 starter ring gear on it as they are different (different tooth count as I recall).
DSC00198.JPG
DSC00198.JPG (161.47 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
The machine shop also machined out the mount holes to match the SD25 mount pattern and then balanced the flywheel, I asked them and they said it would work fine and it was safe.
DSC00199.JPG
DSC00199.JPG (161.5 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
OK, I did this over 12 years ago, I have never used this flywheel as other engines were obtained and I worked around being short a SD25 flywheel, I am not selling this as too this day I am still short an OEM SD25 flywheel, this one is for my extra SD25 engine, but I wrote this to give you options, I do not think I have an extra SD22 flywheel anymore for the ring gear part needed, but they are out there to be had while the SD25 flywheels are not readily available, but L20B, Z20/22/24 and Z car flywheels are in abundance, I have a few of them myself in the 225mm versions which is what the diesels used, but a 240mm flywheel can be used on my L block type engines/transmissions without clearance issues, I do not know about clearance issues with the clutch cover you are using.

Like I said already, this is an option if you can source a SD22 flywheel ring gear, I have seen SD25 engines in Australian wrecking yards online advertised on the Gumtree site over there, but not one wrecking yard ever returned my inquiry about parts I needed/was asking about, and i tried several times over the years.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
SkerDiesel

Post by SkerDiesel »

Thanks waynosworld I may have to go down a similar road. I actually have the SD25 flywheel out of a the forklift sitting in the shop. I'm looking for one like pictured so I can use the threaded bolt holes on the face to attach a mounting plate which then connects to the hydraulic pump on my skid loader. Any marine or stationary SD22-25 flywheel would work but every one I find is from a forklift or a 720 pickup. If I can get that flywheel this conversion will be relatively simple.
Marnine Flywheel.PNG
Marnine Flywheel.PNG (2.42 MiB) Viewed 2229 times
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I guess I do not know all the details, I do know that the SD22 and SD25 have different flywheel bolt patterns on vehicles, so unless the cranks of special use engines are the same, I am confused.

Can you make an adapter plate that bolts onto your SD25 flywheel that will except your mounting plate?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Here is why I am confused, the backside of the flywheel on the left is from an SD22 engine, the mount pattern is large, the one on the right is from an SD25, it has a small tight pattern, the flanges on the cranks are completely different sizes.
DSC00225.JPG
DSC00225.JPG (160.87 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
I know of no way to mount an SD22 flywheel on an SD25 engine, otherwise I would have done it myself, I just checked and it appears I scrapped that SD22 flywheel without the ring gear.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

I just caught up to this.
I have a new in the box SD25 flywheel with ring gear on it. Had it for years.
Part number on the box is a bit different than that cast into the flywheel.
Flywheel casting number is 12311-64WQ00 and the Nissan Part number on the box is 12310-18G10.
If I can remember how to post photos I will.

EDIT: Just found the bill, bought it November 2011.

Edit again. I think I figured it out. I resized the pictures and chose "medium" for sizing but apparently they are still pretty big. In any event you can see what I have.

P
Attachments
flywheel smaller.jpg
flywheel smaller.jpg (378.05 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
flywheel smaller (3).jpg
flywheel smaller (3).jpg (275.67 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
flywheel smaller (2).jpg
flywheel smaller (2).jpg (484.35 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
flywheel smaller (1).jpg
flywheel smaller (1).jpg (349.17 KiB) Viewed 2158 times
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
SkerDiesel

Post by SkerDiesel »

I am away from home until Monday, but I will have to look at mint again and gets some pictures when I get home.