SD22 5 speed into a 2000 Sonoma SLS

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

waynosworld

Re: SD22 5 speed into a 2000 Sonoma SLS

Post by waynosworld »

You mounted yours like the bomb with turbo thread guy did, I could not mount mine that far back or that low, just no room.
I would suggest some kind of turbocharger support bracket either underneath or on the top.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Yes, your right about the support......It will be directly under the turbo and bolted to the stationary part of the motor mount.....Working on reworking the dash gauge cluster today.....
fitting in the autometer old time speedo and tack with stewart werner manifold pressure, pyro, oil pressure, water temp and fuel. I know the cluster will be full within the Sonoma
stock dash but it should work out well.....pics to follow.....some day......
Take time to smell the roses before you end up under them ! ! !

Road rage can be hazardous to your health ! ! !
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Greetings folks,
A question I have is were there any fuel pumps necessary on the SD 22 other than the main injector fuel pump on the block? Was it necessary to have an electric lift pump to feed the main injector pump and if so what would be the recommended fuel pressure rating on the pump ? Thanks
Have fun
buckshot

handcannon

Post by handcannon »

I don't think there was any other fuel pump besides the one on the IP. Although, I have been contemplating using an electric fuel (lift) pump like the GM diesel used on the 1994 Chevy and using it just to make it easier to prime the fuel system as needed. I know for a fact that the GM diesel with an eIectric fuel pump is easy to prime as I have a 94 K2500. I am reasonably sure it is about 3psi and for sure it will still flow fuel if the pump fails (will flow through it when the pump is not operating). Apparently the electric pump GM used in 1994 was the best used for all the years that they used an electric fuel pump (the first year that GM put an electronic IP on their diesel).

Wayno will probably be on here soon and he will know for sure about the fuel pump.

Don
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

As far as I know the only fuel pump needed on the SD22 engine with an inline injection pump is the lift pump on the side of the injection pump, I expect having an electric pump would not hurt it, but I don't know this, it is just a guess.
I have an SD22 engine(rebuilt) with a VE type pump(rotary type/not rebuilt) that I drove for maybe 50 miles, that VE injection pump was sorta wore out and ran slightly better with an electric fuel pump assist, the fuel all drained back into the tank when it was not running so the electric fuel pump kept that from happening also, I really didn't do much with that engine as I soon bought that SD25 powered Volvo wagon that had the turbocharger on it and I pulled the SD22 out and I installed that, that was the beginning of my 2/3 year turbocharger experimentation era.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Greetings AGAIN, folks,
I have again surfaced trying to breath new life into the 2000 Sonoma project. Is anyone out there able to tell me if I can operate the SD22 without the DPC module? I have always been a KISS kind of person....Another reason for the question is that, in my taking time off , the tree rats or other critters had been chewing on the multi pin plastic connectors......In any event if there is a simple way
to not have to use the electronic parts that would be just fine with me......For years I drove over the road...back in the day when we use to have a cable to pull in order to shut down the truck engines.
I should have some more pictures showing the radiator and electric fan installed....Another question....where can I find a box or two of extra space to mount this stuff.....i am running out of room....
Have fun,
buckshot

buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Greeting folks,
Finely got the SD22 into the Sonoma. Now it will fire up but will not idle.....I was told to pull the back of the injection pump off and check for a bad diaphragm...Lo and behold there is was all ate-up...I went to the forum searching for anything about the diaphragm and read a bunch of horror stories...Nothing in England. Germany or Australia.....Searched the internet only to find it will cast anywhere from $100.00 to $150.00...IF YOU CAN FIND ONE...for the last three days I have been tracking down part numbers and finding NO parts.....I was scratching my head and figured out that I would start looking closer to home......Nothing locally here in Ocala, Florida......I got the names of two injector shops in Orlando...John Pullman at Accurate Diesel Injection Inc. in Orlando told me to bring the old one in and 98% he would be able to match it up.....100 miles later I am standing in his shop counter. He took the old one and within five minutes he produces one...new in the box....for under 40 bucks.....I asked if he had another and he said no but he gave a call to George McKinney five miles away at Southeast Power Systems and George said YUP, I have one and can order more if you need them.....I went right over to see George and he said that will be 28 bucks ....Being happier than a hog in shit I handed him the money and said thank you very much......I just installed one of the diaphragms ....hit the starter and WHAT DO YOU KNOW it was immediately breathing fire, smoke and running at an idle.....BACK IN BUSINESS....The part number George used is for Denso Corp # 090580-0041
I will now be working on getting the two speed electric fan operational and getting my new dash with the all maniacal gauge set up....I may even put in a new radio....If anyone is still around to read this I may even post a few more pictures.....
Have fun,
buckshot

plenzen

Post by plenzen »

So glad you got it figured out and it's making noise and smoke the way it was meant to do.

I'll be happy to look at any photos that you may wish to post.

I saw you reached out to Wayne on the other post. Did he get back to you ?

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
buckshot

Post by buckshot »

Paul,
No, Wayne did not beck with me.....I hope he is alright. I will try to take a few pics....I also need to try to figure out if I can transfer the pics on this site onto another web site....I will have to
enlist the help of a much brighter person then I to help with that.....
Have fun,
Allen