My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

waynosworld

Re: My 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab

Post by waynosworld »

I have not had any cool nights lately to test start the engine, when I got up this morning there was a dusting of snow on the truck but it was 36 degrees outside, this evening it got down to 30 degrees and it had not been run today, so I went out and started it, it took off right away but missed a little for around 10 seconds, normally in the past when cold outside(30s) I would have to keep the starter turning while it was trying to start, if I let off it would just die, so I would have to keep the key in the start position till it was actually running which could take up to 5/10 seconds, I expect that is kinda hard on the starter, so I am happy with this "Air Heater Element" so far.

I took a 330 mile trip last Saturday, I drove fairly fast the first half(75/80mph) as I was running behind, coming back I went around 70/75mph, I got right around 30mpg, it was raining pretty hard on the way there, mostly dry on the way back, after about 2300rpms I have to start putting my foot into the pedal pretty deep, that extra 10mph is costly, 2300rpms is about 65mph, 2500rpms is 70mph, and 3000rpms is around 84mph, I spend most my time at 2800rpms on the freeway, the engine ran flawlessly the whole trip, I also had a few people giving me a thumbs up on the freeway, they come up beside me and park there till I look at them.

If it is in the 20s in the morning I will test start it again, I didn't warm it up this evening, I started it, ran it a couple minutes and shut it down.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I did a frame notch to this truck last week, if I put even a little weight the axle would hit the frame(no bump stops).
First I put Datsun 720 4wd leafs in the rear, I kept the 2.5" lowering blocks that were already in it, then I did the notch.
First I made a frame brace/stiffener for both sides that would not hit the box above it as I didn't want to cut holes in the box bed.
005.JPG
005.JPG (161.94 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Then I removed the box.
006.JPG
006.JPG (168.46 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (168.54 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (169.09 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Then I did the notch
006.JPG
006.JPG (167.14 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (168.23 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Then I made plates for the sides with holes in them so I could kinda spot weld the whole thing together, then I welded the plates all the way around outside and inside.
004.JPG
004.JPG (168.66 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
Then I painted and undercoated the notches.
001.JPG
001.JPG (167.21 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
I then undercoated everything that could be seen from the outside.
001.JPG
001.JPG (169.31 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
And it is all back together.
002.JPG
002.JPG (167.47 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
I tore out the complete dash today to upgrade my dash lights so they are adjustable like they were in the 720, I didn't figure out how to do that back in 2010 when I first built this truck, I tested the wiring and all appears good, so now I will apply sound deadening material to the interior firewall and fill/block all holes, I did the windshield the week before and it appears I fixed all the leaks caused by the windshield gasket, I also installed my brand new windshield I had made 7+ years ago.
When I put the dash back in I will be using a freshly powder coated dash face and metal top that has been in storage for as long as the windshield.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I fixed the starter bolt today, I took everything apart on the driver side of the engine, drilled the starter mount hole all the way thru the back of the case and I installed a long bolt and put the starter back onto position, it didn't really go all that smoothly as the starter didn't want to go back in, but I finally got it mounted without breaking it.
I also mounted the EGT probe before the turbocharger, I didn't take photos because I just wanted to get it done, the probe is dead center in the hole, and it goes almost the whole way across the exhaust tube, I think it is perfectly mounted.
I also put the air heater element under the throttle body and wired it up, but I didn't use it to start the engine, I just started the engine to see if I had any oil leaks and there are no leaks, but it was dark out so I will check everything again tomorrow, it appears that the blue 90 degree elbow is now rubbing the under side of the hood, I might trim the elbow, but the engine started right up and the starter appears to be working properly with just the 2 bolts holding it in position

It has not been cold since I installed the air heater element in the turbo piping, at least it is not cold enough when I get out of bed, I am still waiting for the mid 20s to test the air heater element.

I worked on this all day and talked to myself several times when things were not going right, but hopefully it is done.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Here is the Air Heater Element installed, it's kinda funny, red is ground and black is 12V, it just turned out that way length wise.
006.JPG
006.JPG (167.44 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (168.13 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
I shaved the blue elbow on one side and twisted the elbow connected to the turbo down which forced the whole assembly lower, I don't think it rubs on the hood anymore, I will know when I drive it again as I cleaned off the elbow where it was black from rubbing on the hood.
009.JPG
009.JPG (165.6 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I hope everyone is all right.

It never got cold/below freezing for me to truly test this Air Heater Element, but I can say without a doubt my engine starts easier when I use it, when in the 40s if I don't use it the engine misses a few/several times before running smooth(makes white cloud), if I use it it doesn't miss at all or sometimes just 1 or 2 misses(hiccups) and only a puff or two of white smoke.
I have not really done much to this truck lately except drive it, it appears to still have a water leak into the cab, I gutted the interior 2/3 weeks ago, fixed a hole on the driver side floor board and I changed out the dash, I had a fresh powder coated dash face and top, I also put a new windshield/gasket in the truck, it rained but stayed dry, it is wet again, at the time I also changed the wiring so the dash lights are adjustable now, it took me years to figure out how to do that as the 521 dash lights ground out in the dash to work, but the 720 wiring harness doesn't work that way, I used the side maker lights to power the dash lights.
010.JPG
010.JPG (167.04 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
009.JPG
009.JPG (167.9 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
I have a 411 instrument cluster I wanted to use but I drilled the one in it now for the e-brake and glow plug lights, I have been trying to find little LED indicator lights that look like the ones in it now but have had no luck, they do not look like what I have or they are not as described after they arrived, I am looking for something that looks like the ign/oil indicator lights in the instrument cluster in the photo below.
001.JPG
001.JPG (166.33 KiB) Viewed 8754 times
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

After years of looking I finally found another 1985/86 Subaru XT turbocharger(used), it sat on a shelf for a very long time, I had to pull it apart and clean everything before it would spin up on my work truck exhaust, the shaft is tight, tighter than the one on my truck now and it works great, I was thinking about putting it on my 720 engine and see if I got the same type result I did on the 521 kingcab.
There is one big difference between the 521 and 720, both are SD25 engines, both have inline injection pumps, but as far as I know the 521 engine injection pump is setup in the stock configuration, but the 720 injection pump has been turned up to run richer, that is what Larry told me when he sold me the SD25 turbodiesel powered Volvo wagon.
These two vehicles are very different driving vehicles, the 720 has a shitload of torque but doesn't really like the freeway, it will go a 100mph, but anything after 55/60mph I have to put my foot in it, while the 521 starts out like it doesn't have a turbocharger(1st/2nd gears) but after it is in 3rd gear it comes alive and it will do 75mph+ using about a 3rd of the pedal, hardly any pedal at all going 60mph, I would be interested in finding out what the 720 drives like with a turned up pump with the Subaru XT turbocharger, but right now I am busy doing other stuff, maybe later this summer as I will have to make stuff to mount it on the 720 engine.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

It has been a while since posting to this thread, I installed an air heater under the throttle body(carb looking thing) way back but never had the chance to start it in very cold conditions , this morning I got it started using only this heater at 22 degrees, it did not start easy and it took a couple tries but it started, this truck does not never start as easy as my 720 engine does, so I expect next time I will plug in the block heater to help/make it easier to start, it was missing on more than one cylinder sometimes after starting for likely 3 minutes or more(has newer glow plugs in it), this engine has never started as EASY as the 720 engine, but this engine has always been way funner/nicer to drive, it accelerates like a motorcycle while the 720 has a more even acceleration and it does have more torque, Larry said the pump was turned up, both have 3.3 gears in the rear, I do not know what either weighs now, I suspect the 720 kingcab weighs more as it is 16" longer and has a long bed on it while this 521 kingcab has a way lighter/shorter stepside box on it.

I really like this truck since I turbocharged it, if it towed well I would put the 720 diesel engine in my work truck, but the EGTs get too high way too fast when towing so the gas engine is what it needs, 6000lbs minimum of rolling weight(flatbed empty with trailer loaded) is just too much weight for a SD25 engine turbocharged or not, I believe this 521 kingcab SD25 turbocharged engine is putting out around 120hp.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I got this trucks diesel engine started when it was 14 degrees, the block warmer was only plugged in for maybe 15 minutes, and I used the air warmer from when I turned it on to warm up the glow plugs, it was ugly when it started that first time(giant white cloud), it did not even try to hit when the block warmer was not plugged in(never even hit), I would never drive it to a place it would totally cool down, I now plug it in an hour before starting it and it starts like a warm sunny day.

This is my favorite truck, unless I am working or I have to haul something(firewood/pavers/cement blocks), I will drive this truck every time, it gets great mileage, it gets 25mpg in the city no matter what, and it gets 30mpg on the freeway going 70mph+, if I could drive 55mph or less I suspect I would get close to 40mpg, maybe more.