IP controller question

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

IP controller question

Post by cseger1 »

My truck has no IP controller, can anyone tell me how long the IP is in "start" position before it moves to run? Thanks!
Christian
1981 720 SD22
waynosworld

Re: IP controller question

Post by waynosworld »

cseger1 wrote: 1 year ago My truck has no IP controller, can anyone tell me how long the IP is in "start" position before it moves to run? Thanks!
So are you missing everything or just the IP controller and arm?

I believe it moves to the run position immediately after starting, most I know that use a choke cable to control the injection pump start it in the run position.

I only come here every couple days or so to see if there are any new posts, sometimes every day if I go to the library as I do not have internet access at my house anymore, I usually check every other day, this may be a reason for a delayed response.
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Yeah missing all of it. I’m in the process of hooking up a cable to it. I have one that shuts it off. I’m in Texas and figured I didn’t need it, but the older I get the less I enjoy the long ass smoke show I’ve always gotten from this truck.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

How long does it take to stop smoking?

Maybe it needs new glow plugs.

Are you also missing the DPC module, Glow plug timer?

Is it hard to start, or does it start easy?

I had a SD25 that smoked a lot upon starting, it was because I overheated it, it never ran the same and smelt funny when running after that night, it smelled bad even though it was not smoking, and it took a while before it quit smoking(5/10 minutes), I gave up on it and replaced it with another engine.
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Starts easy. No glow control, hardwired to a switch. I took out each plug this week and tested through the tractor solenoid I’m using. All plugs are good and get to cherry red in about 30 seconds.

The smoke usually takes near a minute to quit and comes with a rough idle that clears up with the smoke. It’s white smoke and seems like a cold miss.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

OK, it starts easy, and it blows white smoke till it quits missing, that sounds normal to me, I have found the higher the idle RPM the longer it takes to quit missing when started cold, I normally get the idle of my SD25 in my 521 KC diesel as low as possible as I can as soon as I can(below 1000rpm), it misses/blows white smoke a shorter period of time as it misses far less at lower RPMs, when revved after starting it blows a white cloud until it quits missing, I believe white smoke is raw atomized un-burnt diesel fuel.

I have somewhat modified my diesel engines to make them easier to start in cold weather/conditions, in post 259 of this thread in the link below I added an air heater between the intake manifold and the throttle body, I did this to be able to start the engine below 40 degrees if I was out somewhere where there was no 120v plugin to warm the block like a parking lot where the truck sat all day in sub-freezing temperatures, at 25 degrees or less I am lucky to get it started even with the heater, it will not start at them temperatures without it, at home if I know I am going to use the truck I plug it in to warm it up with the block heater, it starts easy using that as it turns over much easier when warm.

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... 813#p24813

It really depends on the engine, my 720 SD25 diesel engine starts very easy, it can sit for 6 months and start like I just shut it down a couple hours before at 40/50 degrees, I do not understand that myself.

So it sounds like you have nothing left in your truck that controls the engine with the ignition key, I know one guy that installed a solenoid to control the position of the injection pump with a key(run/off), otherwise everyone I know uses a choke cable(run/off), do you have a diesel wiring harness in the truck?

These trucks are not for everyone. :)
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

The harness was full mangled when I bought the truck. Everything that works at this point is a shitty bypass that I put in myself. I think the only things that works is starter, brake lights, windshield wipers, and turn signals.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I have a few complete diesel wiring harnesses, PM me if you're interested.

Keep in mind that it takes a while to remove and replace a wiring harness with all the accessories, some screws/bolts are hard to get too, I have done it several times as I put a few diesel engine wiring harnesses in 720 gas cabs mounted on diesel frames as the diesel cabs were toast, I also have put a diesel wiring harness in earlier trucks like my 1969 Datsun 521 kingcab diesel truck I made, I like the early 720 wiring harnesses as I sort of understand them now, but it took years to get to that point.

In the end if you can get the necessary things working you likely are good to go with the choke cable, I know a few that use their truck with just that, but one of them was stolen for what appears to have been the radiator, so I would not show or tell anyone how to start the engine, I do not recall asking that guy that bought a diesel radiator from me how they got around the steering wheel lock, they likely just removed the clam shell and hammered key assembly off the column and plugged in their own key assembly, they found it in an apartment complex so he got it back.