Starter compatibility for sd22

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Divvy

Starter compatibility for sd22

Post by Divvy »

Hey! My starter with partnumber 23300-31w03 is slowly dying, and Im in need of a raplacement. Im wondering if a starter from an sd25 will fit? (Or any other engine). Im struggeling to find a place that sells the starter for a reasonable price here in europe and i need a quickfix as im waiting for one being shipped from the us. Thank you!
waynosworld

Re: Starter compatibility for sd22

Post by waynosworld »

A SD25 starter will work fine.

You say it is slowly dying, what do you mean by that, is it turning over slower, does it click a lot before finally working only to go back to clicking the next time you try to start it?
I know the voices are not real,
but they have some really good ideas.
Divvy

Post by Divvy »

waynosworld wrote: 6 months ago A SD25 starter will work fine.

You say it is slowly dying, what do you mean by that, is it turning over slower, does it click a lot before finally working only to go back to clicking the next time you try to start it?
Thanks for info! Theres diffirent issues with the current starter. Sometimes it spins but does not engage, other times i have to jiggle the cable from the solenoid to the starter to get it to start as the bolt that holds the cable in the solenoid has snapped inside the housing. Sometimes there some serious grinding noise when i try to start the car. And sometimes sparks will go flying. The starter always gets SUPER hot! and cables will smelt if i supply power to the starter for a while.
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

OK, I did not want to get into it before I knew your issue, I have had serious issues with my SD series diesel starters over the years, since my SD25 engine is turbocharged it is a major issue to even get to the starter let alone remove and replace it, almost all my issues are with the starter solenoid.

Let me suggest first that if you get sparks down at the solenoid by moving the cable going to the solenoid then you need to figure that one out right away, it sounds like that cable is not tight or the post is not tight, there are 2 nuts where the cable connects to the solenoid, the inside nut is supposed to be tight so the post cannot wiggle around, the second nut is to connect the cable to that post coming from the battery, you need to figure that out right away, if there is not a nut on that post holding it tight after you remove the cable going to the battery then someone removed a nut that is supposed to be there, that post is supposed to be tight, if there is a nut after the cable has been removed then that nut needs to be tightened, remove the cable from the battery before you do anything down there as you could create a short that could create a fire and completely destroy the truck, this issue needs to be addressed before going any farther.

I usually visit this site everyday except Sunday to see if there are any new posts, figure out why it is creating sparks when you move the cable, sparks will also cause the cable to get hot, but turning the engine over for a long period of time will cause it to get hot also.

Figure out why it sparks first, remove the cable from the battery post before trying to remove the cable from the starter solenoid, this is a must!!!
Divvy

Post by Divvy »

waynosworld wrote: 6 months ago OK, I did not want to get into it before I knew your issue, I have had serious issues with my SD series diesel starters over the years, since my SD25 engine is turbocharged it is a major issue to even get to the starter let alone remove and replace it, almost all my issues are with the starter solenoid.

Let me suggest first that if you get sparks down at the solenoid by moving the cable going to the solenoid then you need to figure that one out right away, it sounds like that cable is not tight or the post is not tight, there are 2 nuts where the cable connects to the solenoid, the inside nut is supposed to be tight so the post cannot wiggle around, the second nut is to connect the cable to that post coming from the battery, you need to figure that out right away, if there is not a nut on that post holding it tight after you remove the cable going to the battery then someone removed a nut that is supposed to be there, that post is supposed to be tight, if there is a nut after the cable has been removed then that nut needs to be tightened, remove the cable from the battery before you do anything down there as you could create a short that could create a fire and completely destroy the truck, this issue needs to be addressed before going any farther.

I usually visit this site everyday except Sunday to see if there are any new posts, figure out why it is creating sparks when you move the cable, sparks will also cause the cable to get hot, but turning the engine over for a long period of time will cause it to get hot also.

Figure out why it sparks first, remove the cable from the battery post before trying to remove the cable from the starter solenoid, this is a must!!!
I went to the garage yesterday and got the starter removed, and also got to opening it. I founda a few issues:
The cableshoe on the cable that connects solenoid and starter had smelted, and the cable itself is In pretty bad condition. When i opened the starter i found a badly siezed ballbearing at the rear of the starter (towards the front of the engine) and there was a burnt smell. Before dismanteling it i tried hotwiring it from the battery to confirm that the gear would not engage - it did not, but there was also a horrible grinding noise, presumably from the siezed bearing?

The Loose solenoid stud is due to the plastic housing that surrounds it has cracked, the bolts Are there.

The car is an oldsmobile thats had an engine swap, its pretty jimmyrigged but i found nothing that would cause the problem by sight (will check with multimeter this weekend if i havent found out anything) , ground seems solid and cables seem intact. The car also got 3 batteries - Two stock in the engine bay and one aftermarket in the trunk. Ill try to Hotwire it from a separate battery after work today and check if it gets equally hot as it only take a few seconds before smoke appears from the solenoid cable
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Well it sounds like you need a new starter, the starter you likely need will likely need to be an early type, they make a few different types also, direct drive(larger) and the slightly smaller gear reduction type drive(the motor is offset from the flywheel engagement gear).

A forklift parts supplier might have what you need as they put these diesel engines in forklifts, these starters are not common as they mount on the left side of the engine, over here in the USA only the early Datsun Roadster(12970 and earlier) is compatible, but the Roadster starter is not made to turn over a diesel engine with a 22 to 1 compression ratio, but the roadster guys like the SD22/25 series transmission cases as they can use the case to put a more common and cheaper transmission in their Roadster.

I hate to tell you this, but I suspect the only starter you can buy that will last will need to be from Nissan if they are available(likely expensive), the rest of the aftermarket/rebuilt stuff is garbage in my opinion, maybe the starter motor is good, but the solenoids are garbage, I have figured out a way of getting them to start my engine using a second relay and a button, we will get into that if your new to you/rebuilt starter starts clicking all the time instead of turning the engine over.
Divvy

Post by Divvy »

Currently waiting for a starter, will hopefully arrive next week. Ill update when it comes. The one i ordered was a cheap aftermarket one sadly as i cannot get my hands on the original. Will the forklift starters fit with the exhaust and motor Mounts?
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

I have heard others talk about forklift starters in the past, they have talked about other forklift parts in general also, rebuild parts, ect.

Like I mentioned, the solenoids are garbage on all the starters that are sold in the auto parts stores over here in the USA, one can buy one locally with a life time warranty and keep taking it back when it quits working and get a new one, but like I mentioned before it is a big job for me to keep doing that over and over because my engine compartment is very tight, you can see that in the photo below, it takes hours just to get a starter out and put another one back in, so I figured out a work around for solenoids that keep clicking all the time that will not turn the engine over.
DSC00405.JPG
DSC00405.JPG (162.74 KiB) Viewed 974 times
When you install the new one you have coming I can describe what I do to get it to turn over if you have that issue in the future, mine quit working properly within a week of installing it, as I recall I had put another one in a couple months before, it is a major hassle for me to change out starters, alternators, vacuum pumps, oil pressure senders, engine mounts, it is so tight everywhere in the engine compartment, even changing the oil filter requires removing things.
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Just reading this over. I'm not sure if you had a look at or spoke/contacted these guys or not
If they indeed have one the price does not seem too outrageous, and It appears they are located in the US.
(link below)

You may need to know the year of the donner vehicle as they list a few different options. I simply put n the part number you listed in your post.
Near as I can tell direct drive/reduction drive however after poking around on there a bit they were both about the same price ( $173.00/ +/-)

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/n ... 31w03.html

( I've said it before Wayne, you got a lot going on in the engine room, just sayin )
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
Divvy

Post by Divvy »

waynosworld wrote: 6 months ago I have heard others talk about forklift starters in the past, they have talked about other forklift parts in general also, rebuild parts, ect.

Like I mentioned, the solenoids are garbage on all the starters that are sold in the auto parts stores over here in the USA, one can buy one locally with a life time warranty and keep taking it back when it quits working and get a new one, but like I mentioned before it is a big job for me to keep doing that over and over because my engine compartment is very tight, you can see that in the photo below, it takes hours just to get a starter out and put another one back in, so I figured out a work around for solenoids that keep clicking all the time that will not turn the engine over.

DSC00405.JPG

When you install the new one you have coming I can describe what I do to get it to turn over if you have that issue in the future, mine quit working properly within a week of installing it, as I recall I had put another one in a couple months before, it is a major hassle for me to change out starters, alternators, vacuum pumps, oil pressure senders, engine mounts, it is so tight everywhere in the engine compartment, even changing the oil filter requires removing things.
sorry for late reply, been a stressfull period at work. I got the starter and it fires up beautifully now! im curious what you've done to prevent the solenoid from destruction if you dont mind sharing. luckily the car had a v8 originally, so i dont have the issue of space but i'd prefeer not having to replace starter every month :p

also im a bit curious about your engine! you mentioned its a sd25 in an earlier reply, but i see the sd22 writing on your rocker cover? im asking as im flirting with the idea of swapping the engine again to something i can turbocharge!
Divvy

Post by Divvy »

plenzen wrote: 6 months ago Just reading this over. I'm not sure if you had a look at or spoke/contacted these guys or not
If they indeed have one the price does not seem too outrageous, and It appears they are located in the US.
(link below)

You may need to know the year of the donner vehicle as they list a few different options. I simply put n the part number you listed in your post.
Near as I can tell direct drive/reduction drive however after poking around on there a bit they were both about the same price ( $173.00/ +/-)

( I've said it before Wayne, you got a lot going on in the engine room, just sayin )
I did not see that site, even as i was searching everywhere for a starter for this engine. sadly i checked with them when you sent your reply and they could not help me determine starter type. also the price would be about double when i took account for shipping and customs. the site is very useful for finding blueprints/sketches for parts though!
also i bought the car with the nissan engine, apparently the owner before that got the engine for a 6'er of beer from somebody his friend knew, so i think tracing the source-car is hopeless :p
waynosworld

Post by waynosworld »

Divvy wrote: 5 months ago
waynosworld wrote: 6 months ago I have heard others talk about forklift starters in the past, they have talked about other forklift parts in general also, rebuild parts, ect.

DSC00405.JPG

sorry for late reply, been a stressfull period at work. I got the starter and it fires up beautifully now! im curious what you've done to prevent the solenoid from destruction if you dont mind sharing. luckily the car had a v8 originally, so i dont have the issue of space but i'd prefeer not having to replace starter every month :p

also im a bit curious about your engine! you mentioned its a sd25 in an earlier reply, but i see the sd22 writing on your rocker cover? im asking as im flirting with the idea of swapping the engine again to something i can turbocharge!
What I do does not keep the solenoid from self-destructing, what I do forces the starter motor to turn over when the solenoid part quits working properly(it clicks or does nothing at all), what I did was add a relay with a cable coming straight from the battery, another cable goes from the relay directly to the starter motor post bypassing the solenoid completely(you can see the relay and cable going to the battery in the photo I posted in that reply), then I put/wired a button on my dash to activate the relay, if I turn the key to start it and nothing happens while the key is still in the start position I hit the button and it turns over every time, sometimes it grinds so I let off the key and then turn it to the start position again and 90+ percent of the time it turns over and starts without hitting the button again, otherwise if nothing happens again I hit the button again and it starts, I have never had the engine fail to start since making this system up, I had to do something as trying to get a screwdriver down in there to start the engine was a major hassle and I would ruin clothes(get grease/oil on them) trying to get the truck running.

What made me mad about all this was the starters were less than a week old as this has happened more than twice, I get it working again and a week later I am doing it all over again, the solenoids are crap, I do not know why, my other gas trucks do not have this issue, only the SD series diesels have this issue, SD22 and SD25, it makes no difference which engine, but I do not have an SD22 engine in any truck anymore, I do have a freshly rebuilt SD22 in my garage just sitting there, I got such a great result with the turbocharged SD25 engine that the SD22 engines do not interest me anymore.

The SD25 valve covers have way more stuff on them to deal with, the SD22 valve covers are a lot cleaner, so I use the SD22 valve covers on all my SD25 series diesel engines.