SD22 transplant into a Suzuki Samurai

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

philip
Deceased

SD22 transplant into a Suzuki Samurai

Post by philip »

mikej678 wrote:Hello my name is Mike & I posted on the msn board about swapping a SD22 into a Suzuki Samurai. Well it's about finished. I did all the wiring changing over the fuel system & got it running. SNIP

Thanks
Mike

oh yeah great board
Welcome Mike. That SD is a might bit heavier than the little gas engine you extracted! Of interest is the gearing in a Samurai. These SD engines don't like being spun continuously beyond 3,000 rpm (4,000 is redline). When you do, oil and fuel consumption increase. Max torque is 1900-2400 rpm.

What did you use for a transfer case / transmission?
Last edited by philip 18 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Re: SD22 transplant into a Suzuki Samurai

Post by philip »

mikej678 wrote:oh yeah great board
Thanks!
philip wrote:Of interest is the gearing in a Samurai. These SD engines don't like being spun continuously beyond 3,000 rpm (4,000 is redline). When you do, oil and fuel consumption increase. Max torque is 1900-2400 rpm.
I see biiiig tires in Mike's future!

Hey, Mike, we want pictures! Everybody does the VW diesel engine thing in Suzukis, I want to see the SD in there.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 154k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey.
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Imikej678 wrote

I'm using the stock SD22 trans with a 4x4 tailshaft & housing, I'm using the stock Zuk transfercase with a 12% lower high range, & 31 inch tires.

When running the gas motor I was running about 4000 rpm @ 65 in 5th gear with the above combo. Before I changed the t-case gears I was running about 3200 rpm. I think I will swap them back in. The Nissan tranny has a taller overdrive which should reduce it even more. Zuk has 0.864 overdrive. Can't remember the Nissan ratio.

As for pictures I'll see if I can find some place to host them.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

philip wrote:Imikej678 wrote

I'm using the stock SD22 trans with a 4x4 tailshaft & housing, I'm using the stock Zuk transfercase with a 12% lower high range, & 31 inch tires.

When running the gas motor I was running about 4000 rpm @ 65 in 5th gear with the above combo. Before I changed the t-case gears I was running about 3200 rpm. I think I will swap them back in. The Nissan tranny has a taller overdrive which should reduce it even more. Zuk has 0.864 overdrive. Can't remember the Nissan ratio.

As for pictures I'll see if I can find some place to host them.
Gearbox ratios for the Nissan 5 sp, diesel gear set:

1st 3.592
2nd 2.246
3rd 1.415
4th 1.00
OD 0.813

As for hosting, I use PHOTOBUCKET.com . Very easy, very free, and they will resize overly huge images. Check their terms.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Here's some pics

Mike

Last edited by philip 18 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Nice install!

Should of ran brackets instead of that nylon wire through the radiator for your radiator fans, I dont put too much trust into the nylon ties, especially if you go off roading. But thats just me, alot of people like it

Otherwise its the niceset SD22 ive seen ever!
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Great work, Mike. Keep us informed!

Did you retain the IPC (electric motor on the lower right front of the engine) for the IP?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
mikej678

Post by mikej678 »

Thanks for the compliments.
Kassim those were all I could find. by brackets do you mean that hold the fan & clamp around the top & bottom of the radiator?
Asavage, yes all the Nissan controls were carried over.

The only problem so far is it smoke & misses till it warms up to about 150 degs then in runs like a watch. I think it needs the injectors rebuilt. All the glow plgs are new.

Thanks again & I will let you all know how it goes.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

mikej678 wrote:Thanks for the compliments.
Kassim those were all I could find. by brackets do you mean that hold the fan & clamp around the top & bottom of the radiator?
I love exercises in hardware and fabrications! You've done this stuff before!

What are the dimensions of that radiator? It looks like tremendous overkill.

There's a thread here about injectors that I hope you read first. May save you some grief.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

Where did that engine come from? It looks so clean and new. Nice work on the install, now there's a Samurai with some torque!
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

philip wrote:
mikej678 wrote:Thanks for the compliments.
I love exercises in hardware and fabrications! You've done this stuff before!

What are the dimensions of that radiator? It looks like tremendous overkill.

There's a thread here about injectors that I hope you read first. May save you some grief.
Yup I mean those clamp brackets, I like them better than the ties

I dont think theres a such thing as overkill on radiators, and a plus of having a giant radiator is that it wont start to overheat if you neglet the cooling system for 20 years and the radiator fills with dirt and rust.\ :)
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
mikej678

Post by mikej678 »

Phillip, The radiator is a VW 2 pass crossflow. The core is 12 3/4" high & 27" long. The Nissan radiator didn't fit, I bought this one. It's from a VW Quantum 1.7 turbo diesel.
I'm doing it at a shop (Rock 4X Fabrication) where I've them helped build other Zuks & Jeeps.
I'm doing it myself but they are helping me machining brackets & stuff I need & ideas when I get stumped.
Kassim I'm going to try to find some of those brackets.

Thanks
Mike
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

mikej678 wrote:Phillip, The radiator is a VW 2 pass crossflow. The core is 12 3/4" high & 27" long. The Nissan radiator didn't fit, I bought this one. It's from a VW Quantum 1.7 turbo diesel. SNIP
Thanks
Mike
Regarding the VW Quantum ... does that vehicle mount an air2air intercooler in front of this radiator? If so, that would confirm my reaction that the radiator is way overkill for a naturally aspirated, air throttled SD diesel.

I invite you to read the "SD22 Fan Clutch" thread. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

Mike, welcome to the site and what a cool project you are doing right now with the Samurai/SD22 diesel. That is a good choice for a good diesel powerplant and will be much more reliable than any VW diesel engine. I enjoyed looking at your pictures above and look forward to following it more too. Keep up the great work!

Salvy