Pops out of 5th/tranny ID

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

pbknowles

Pops out of 5th/tranny ID

Post by pbknowles »

The truck in my sig has what the PO described as a "extended cab" tranny. It pops out of 5th on overrun. It looks like the cast iron piece that the shifter stick fits into should be adjustable in and out to address this, but I can't get it to budge. Also, I have two other transmissions, one is long like the one in the truck, the other is short. I have read the tranny rebuild posts a couple of times, and am about ready to rebuild the "short" tranny as this will help with some driveline angle issues the PO built into the engine swap. Trouble is I can't find any identification numbers or tags on either tranny, so I don't know what I've got. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
PK
SD22 powered '85 Chevy S-10
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I'm sorry to say that I can't help with this one. There is quite a variety of versions of the FS5W71 over the years, and I'm only familiar with the three or four I've worked with. The 4WD ones that used a divorced transfer case have a shorter tailshaft. AFAIK, there wasn't a difference in the trans for std cab and KC models.

If you do learn something on this topic, take pics and please post about it!
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:I'm sorry to say that I can't help with this one. There is quite a variety of versions of the FS5W71 over the years, and I'm only familiar with the three or four I've worked with. The 4WD ones that used a divorced transfer case have a shorter tailshaft. AFAIK, there wasn't a difference in the trans for std cab and KC models.

There should be no difference in transmissions between STD and KC models because all additional vehicle length is after the driver's seat, both cab and chassis.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Re: Pops out of 5th/tranny ID

Post by philip »

pbknowles wrote:SNIP
Trouble is I can't find any identification numbers or tags on either tranny, so I don't know what I've got. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
PK
On the top of the bellhousing, between the two top most bolts threading into the cylinder block just below the head gasket. The FSM indicates the transmission ID should be stamped there.

-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Re: Pops out of 5th/tranny ID

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:On the top of the bellhousing, between the two top most bolts threading into the cylinder block just below the head gasket. The FSM indicates the transmission ID should be stamped there.
OK. I have a FS5W71b sitting here, and the number stamped in that location is 7113175. What does that tell me that I didn't know before?
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

philip wrote:
asavage wrote:I'm sorry to say that I can't help with this one. There is quite a variety of versions of the FS5W71 over the years, and I'm only familiar with the three or four I've worked with. The 4WD ones that used a divorced transfer case have a shorter tailshaft. AFAIK, there wasn't a difference in the trans for std cab and KC models.

There should be no difference in transmissions between STD and KC models because all additional vehicle length is after the driver's seat, both cab and chassis.
From going though 15-20 '81-86 manual tranny pickups in the boneyards over the past few months, I can say from looking for a better shifter surround console that there is a difference in where the shifter comes through the floor between the 2wd and 4x4 trucks--on the 4x4 it is closer to the front to allow room for the transfer case shift lever which is to the rear of the tranny shifter. I had consoles from both 2wd and 4x4 trucks side by side and noticed this (fortunately before I bought one that wouldn't have worked for me).

FWIW :)
1982 Datsun 720 King Cab, SD22, 86K miles (sold)
1981 Rabbit LS 4-door, 1.6D, 130K miles (sold)
1996 Passat TDI 4-door sedan, 197K miles
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

redmondjp wrote:
philip wrote: There should be no difference in transmissions between STD and KC models because all additional vehicle length is after the driver's seat, both cab and chassis.
From going though 15-20 '81-86 manual tranny pickups in the boneyards over the past few months, I can say from looking for a better shifter surround console that there is a difference in where the shifter comes through the floor between the 2wd and 4x4 trucks--on the 4x4 it is closer to the front to allow room for the transfer case shift lever which is to the rear of the tranny shifter. I had consoles from both 2wd and 4x4 trucks side by side and noticed this (fortunately before I bought one that wouldn't have worked for me).

FWIW :)
I referred only to the 4x2 STD and KC models 81, 82 model years though later years 4x2 should be no different.

In 1983-1/2 model year, the 4x4 frame was strengthened considerably.

Interesting thing in the '82 FSM is that a separate 4x4 frame is not identified. Yet in the General Info section (pg GI-7), they show the underside of the 4x2 and 4x4 frames side by side. If you study closely, you see an extra cross member under the bell housing and relocated torsion bar anchor/adjusters for the 4x4. No mention of a different floor pan for 4x4's.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

asavage wrote:OK. I have a FS5W71b sitting here, and the number stamped in that location is 7113175. What does that tell me that I didn't know before?
The number stamped on the bell housing is the production serial number.

In Nissan parts books, I have not seen prodution changes refered to using the serial number, just the production build date. This fact has been a drama due to the high number of Japanese import replacment assemblies available here in Australia. Some companies have production change break point- serial numbers listed in the front of parts books while most issue the numbers in dealer bulletins if there is a complaint.

A trick is to look at the casing for a date inked or impact stamped. Most companies use letters over numbers for month/years but as a rule it's easy to guess. On engines, check the plastic parts for numbers.

With 720s here in Australia, the L18 has the old 4 speed gearbox with the oil pan and come in floor and columm shift. This is the transmission fitted to all but the last 720. There was big buisness in converting to 5 speed and it would be hard to find an original setup now.

The diesels use the long tailshaft FS5W71b with a bent gearstick to bring the shift in the the same spot fro the driver. I have a RS4W71b out of a crew cab that has bucket seats. I was told they were the most common setup and easy to replace with the Urvan manual gearbox.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote: SNIP
A trick is to look at the casing for a date inked or impact stamped. Most companies use letters over numbers for month/years but as a rule it's easy to guess. On engines, check the plastic parts for numbers. SNIP
Here's an example of an engine part (A/C compressor bracket) on my SD that has both a part number impact stamped AND the vehicle production Month/Year ink stamped.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22