LD28 timing, take 2

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

wrwsailing

LD28 timing, take 2

Post by wrwsailing »

First, many thanks to Salvy and Al S. for answering my first post about my timing problem. Second, from what I have read and studied thus far, it appears that I will need the special Nissan injection pump timing tool, KV11229352, to time the engine properly. Now, where do I get one of these? Does anyone have one that he would loan (I can be trusted to return it.), rent, or sell (although I would prefer not to own one)? On the other hand, would a Nissan dealer's repair shop likely have this tool? Again, your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Ray
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I've never seen the tool outside of the FSM. I have been looking for one for a long time.

Member "Dr. Jones" fabricated one that seemed to work OK. I bought a VW adapter but have not gotten around to cutting it up, and I found that the dial indicator stem diameter on the adapter I bought is non-standard (ie neither of my existing dial indicators will fit it without further adaptation). For information on fabricating your own adapter, see this thread, which has good photos and dimensions that are suitable for any semi-competent hacksaw-wielder to use :shock: .

If you find the factory tool, I am very interested in your source. I doubt that any Nissan dealer has it anymore. I scour eBay for LD28 stuff and in several years looking have never seen one come up for sale.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.