RD28 and VWD24

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Bosse

RD28 and VWD24

Post by Bosse »

Hello,
there is nearly no information about the LD28 and RD28 engines on the internet. I want to change the engine in my Jeepster to a diesel. I´m living in sweden and it are high petrol prices here. We have many Volvo D24 engines with and without turbo,
that is a VW engine. Now I´m wondering if the RD28 engine is a good engine. Starting all times, going many miles, not going warm, quiet ... . Is it a strong engine? Haw much diesel does it need? There is such an engine for sale and I´m wondering if i should take the engine oput of my volvo 240 or by that nissan engine.

Bosse
Landyman

Post by Landyman »

Hello Bosse - I have been interested in much the same questions lately. As you say information is hard to come by. I'm considering putting an RD28 into a Land Rover hybrid: The Range Rover donor vehicle which I have aquired has an LD28 so I have been attempting to compare the two engines.

From what I gather the LD28 and the RD28 are closely related. It seems that they may share the same bellhousing bolt pattern - this is partly substantiated by the link at the end of my post but the only way I'm going to be sure is when I get hold of an RD28 motor and offer it up to my existing adapter plate. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the RD28 may not be quite as willing to rev compared to the LD28 but the big advantage is that it was available in turbocharged form as standard. Post 1997 RD28 turbo had an intercooler and electronic fuel injection so you will need the ecu with any conversion. I'm a little wary of the ecu becoming obsolete in future years and have decided not to use one of these engines. Other big advantage of the RD28 in Europe is the improved availablility of parts compared to the LD28. The modern design of the RD28 with its belt driven camshaft in plastic covers together with more modern cambox cover is reputed to give a more mechanically quiet engine. I'm hoping that the exhuast note of the later engine is as pleasing as that of the LD though!

This link might be of interest if you are planning a Volvo conversion: Quality Conversions
Bosse

Post by Bosse »

Thanks for your reply. That´s right, it will go quiter than a vw-diesel. It looks very modern. I heard and read that some people like this engine much and others not. Some people have a lot problems and others not. It´s the same about the vw diesel. In Germany it´s not living so lång because high speeds and the engine gets to warm and breaks. In sweden these engine last abaut 40000km. Then they dont start in the vinter.

So the RD28 needs high revs to give output. The carcteristik is more like a petrol engine. If you are timing the point of injektion a little bit earlier the engine is more willing to rev. We do that with the vw engines.

Bosse
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

There been some discussion about the RD28 elsewhere in the forum here.

Between the LD28 and the VW D24 I would have to say I like the LD28 because it has a cast iron head and chain driven cam, so if your injection pump belt breaks it does not damage engine internals. The D24 on the other hand has a cast alloy head which is notorious for developing small cracks between in the intake and exhaust valve seats. It also has a belt driven camshaft like the RD28 which if it breaks will damage engine internals. There is also rumor that the D24 has oil starvation issues in the head for short trip driving.

The one benefit to the D24 is that it shares some components with the 1.6 and 2.0 VW diesel engines making the parts readily available here in the US even though we saw far fewer of the 2.0 and 2.4 diesels than the 1.6.

All in all, I think the LD28 is one of the stoutest passenger car diesel engines I've had the liberty to see and work on.

Good luck on your venture!

sa
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!