Is this a good deal on ebay?

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

cseger1

Is this a good deal on ebay?

Post by cseger1 »

Christian
1981 720 SD22
zen

Post by zen »

that depends upon wether you can do better???(and what it is worth to you..)

if sd22 good condition engines are 2 a penny near you then it is not..if they are rare as rocking horse pooh and the info given is correct then it seems good..

oh first i have heard about jap motors only having 50k miles on them!!i have owned 3 jap imports and they all entered the uk with more than50k on them...

looks nice though dosn't it
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
philip
Deceased

Re: Is this a good deal?

Post by philip »

cseger1 wrote:SD22 for sale on ebay
For your truck? Not a good purchase in my book.

This is a non US model, has the crude Bosch CAV-DPA injection pump and external diaphram lift pump, not to mention numerous other marine or industrial accoutrements. My guess this particular engine has pistons (5 ring type) for low speed operation instead of the high speed 3 ring design found in vehicles.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Thats the sort of info I was looking for. Do the low speed set up motors usually end up hooked to a transmission like that one?
Christian
1981 720 SD22
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

SD fours and sixes have found their way into many applications ... with internal modifications to meet specific requirements. For instance, a constant RPM electric generator is held to 1900 rpm maximum continuous rpm while a highway truck will often see TWICE that rpm for sustained periods. Then there are exhaust emissions that had/have to be met for some number of miles (EPA). The motor vehicle SD is the most athletic version.

The bellhousing is unique to the SD engine but there is some mix-n-matching possible with 5 speed transmissions (different gearsets). I cannot say if the four speed (F4W71B) is used with the diesel bellhousing somewhere in the world. :wink:

The transmission in the ebay photos I'm not familiar with. It does appear to have two external shift levers(?) which suggests to me a van or cab-over truck having shift lever linkages. Hmmm.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Gentlemen-

Our local JY has a complete sd22 engine/tranny package for around $400, if I remember correctly.

I would buy it, BUT, (a big one too!), they can't tell me the mileage, and it has been sitting WITHOUT oil for some time, over two years, I would say.

OUTSIDE, but under cover. (more or less, depending on the wind)

If anyone is interested, I can check availability, and if it will turn over with a breaker bar/socket.

Dave
zen

Post by zen »

ahhh..am almost scared to reply......

but...(sorry)

quote.
This is a non US model, has the crude Bosch CAV-DPA injection pump and external diaphram lift pump, not to mention numerous other marine or industrial accoutrements. My guess this particular engine has pistons (5 ring type) for low speed operation instead of the high speed 3 ring design found in vehicles.
end quote...

just because it has 5 rings does not mean it is for slow speed use...though it could do...THIS INFO RELEVENT FOR OUTSIDE US>>IE THIS ENGINE??

i know in the US, apparently you all have 3 ring pistons...??

however here in europe and proberly in japan and else where 5 ring pistons are used as well..they are for road use vehicles too..ie cabstar nissan patrol(sd33) etc..and in fact the patrol/cabstar etc has a red line of 4400 rpm (off load)..that uses 5 ring pistons...( i know cos that what is in mine..)

re the pump..quite agree CAv are not as good..

oh..i forgot..if it has 5 ring pistons then it PROBERLY has 5 main bearings..which make it a better engine!!according to my sd22 manual 3 ring pistons = 3 mains=early engine...5 rings=5 mains=late engine..max rpm 4400 off load...manual is genuine workshop manual covering NON US sd22 and sd33 engines..

hope this helps .
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
EvergreenSD

Post by EvergreenSD »

Bear in mind that this seller is highly questionable. I haver read many shocking things on various venues. I wouldn't loan him my lunch money . . . Check the feedback, it's almost funny.
'82 SD22 720 Kingcab with flatbed
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Yes, the Seller has a rocky history, and he always says that the engines he sells are "tested, no overheating, breathing," etc.

The engine shown has several things that are quite different than the US-spec model (oil filter, intake manifold, etc.). Steam cleaning and a rattle-can application does not mean anything.

I've installed a couple of these "low mileage Japan" engines; one was a rattler right after installation. No recourse.

I wouldn't recommend buying this engine at this price. Too much of a crap shoot.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.