AutoAfterglow Timer. Diagnose & Discuss alternative

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Dave S

Glow plug relay

Post by Dave S »

Evening Gents-

Well, I never did install the Fourth Gen GP relay assy. I figured why mess with something that wasn't broken.

I've a newer-ish style Benz GP control assy sitting on my desk, would love to play with it, just haven't had the time to do that or to replace my ever so nasty sounding rocker arm assy. (Many thanks, Al!!)

The Benze unit is fairly stout, I took it apart to see.

Main power to the unit is via a m5 (I think) stud, so incoming power would be easy.

All other connections are typical Mercedes "smooth post" style, of two different diameters, if I remember correctly.

I'm hoping to hot my local JY soon for a look see re connector assy.

Diesel Head in seattle sells a complete "kit" for PG control upgrade for VW's, should be adaptable to our sd's as the Benz and VW connections are different.

I could shoot some pics of the wifes Benz(87) gp assy, and wiring harness connector, if anyone likes. I believe the connector is the same, her car has the older style no after glow system.

Regards,
Dave
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

moose60 wrote:This thread seems to have relocated...
By request, yes. It's no longer a buy/sell sort of discussion. While I can split a topic, I can't merge. I looked at this one and just moved the whole thing. If you think I should split it, and move the first half back, I can do that. What I can't do is pick & choose which posts get moved: I can split at a post or move the whole thing, that's all.
moose60

Post by moose60 »

If you think I should split it, and move the first half back, I can do that.
No, it's fine. It actually makes sense this way. I was just wondering if somebody hit the wrong button.

Thanks for the info on Rusty's kit. It looks like it contains the plug connector that I was having trouble sourcing.

I would like to know the average pre-glow time wioth this kit. Say at 50*F. Perhaps I will call or email those folks tomorrow.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

I'd appreciate pictures too. While I think that many of the OE systems are probably adequate when they're new, over time they become inadequate and problematic.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

moose60 wrote:Thanks for the info on Rusty's kit. It looks like it contains the plug connector that I was having trouble sourcing.
Be aware that other site's pictures of that kit do not show the harness: only the GPC and GPs are pictured. Before ordering, I would ask specifically if the multiconnector harness shown comes with it.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

moose60 wrote:Philip, -snip- But there is a second relay clunk when the afterglow cycle is over. I hear one thunk immediately before I start the truck, then another sometime (5-25 sec.) later.
Stone cold engine: Glow lamp runs for 40 seconds and then turns OFF. The duty relay goes "thunk" simultaneously to 30 seconds later.

Hot start: Glow lamp runs for less than 10 seconds ... duty relay runs for about 30 seconds more (when you wait it out).

The thermistor is high resistance when cold, low resistance when hot.

Now ... if you pull the thermistor plug and jumper between them with wire you simulate HOTest possible temperature ... resulting in the shortest PREglow timer light time. (AFTERglow is the 30 seconds the GPs are run after the engine starts).

Speaking of wires ... those two little sensor wires get COOKED and are bundled with the alternator wires. Vibration + chafed insulation could be causing the two thermistor wires to short to each other in that short harnass leading to the plugs next to the air filter. That would mean a false HOT signal. Just an idea. :idea:
moose60 wrote:Temp input seems to vary the temp sender's resistance according to coolant temp. I tested it. Thus the AGT is kaput
Only thing you proved was the thermistor was ok.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Re: SD 22 Afterglow Timer: Wanted

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:
philip wrote:I see the box contains the same minature relay found in the DPC.
You've had it apart?
I was referring to the photos of the Indian copy unit shown at the beginning of this thread. :wink: My AutoAfterGlow module works fine ... don't mess with success.
Last edited by philip 17 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
moose60

Post by moose60 »

Philip,
Only thing you proved was the thermistor was ok.
Good point. I should check the condition of the wires themselves.
Byron

82 Datsun 720 KC SD22

MPG Machine
greaseburner

Post by greaseburner »

I was having a terrible time getting mine to start. The timer wouldn't stay on long enough to get things warm especially if I had the block heater plugged in. As you guys have said the timers are pretty expensive, so I did a farmer fix and bypassed it. I used a starter solenoid and put a momentary switch on the dash and now I can keep the plugs glowing for as long as needed to make a nice start. Didn't end up costing anything as I had a bunch of old junk lying around. Just my 2 cents.