Flat towing

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

cseger1

Flat towing

Post by cseger1 »

Anything special to do before flat towing one of these trucks?
Christian
1981 720 SD22
Dave S

Flat towing sd22

Post by Dave S »

Christian-

Other than the usual checking of tire pressures, not in gear, no ebrake on kind of stuff, I can't think of any special procedures/warnings.

Double check everything, as you would with any vehicle you were to flat tow.

Easy trip!

Dave
cseger1

Post by cseger1 »

Not going far, I am assembling a tow-bar for when the little bastard strands me. My neighbor has a dually.
Christian
1981 720 SD22
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I tow a lot of vehicles -- I have a dolly -- and I have a routine by now, but I always do a walk-around right before I leave. I always check the shifter for neutral, the park brake, the wheel straps, the ramp tilt lock (my favourite one to leave unlocked!), and the safety chains, finally the lights check.

And make sure the tools are loaded back up (12v air compressor, straps box, 12v jump box to run the compressor, come-along).
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

all the above and make sure the key is in the ignition and the steering wheel is unlocked (if it has a steering lock).

I have a dolly too and if you use one enough you learn to do another walk around about 10-20 miles out rechecking the tire straps etc.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

My dolly doesn't care if the steering is locked or not. It has a turntable.

If you don't lock the doors on the towed vehicle, if you stop anywhere (rest stop, lunch, whatever), do your neutral check again when you get ready to leave. I had one joker put a rig in gear while I was inside eating.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

asavage wrote:My dolly doesn't care if the steering is locked or not. It has a turntable.

If you don't lock the doors on the towed vehicle, if you stop anywhere (rest stop, lunch, whatever), do your neutral check again when you get ready to leave. I had one joker put a rig in gear while I was inside eating.
Mine doesn't care either, but my dolly is an older one so although it turns, it's range of motion is limited. It's a Kar Kaddy, made in Iowa, so I'm rather proud of the old beast.

If you're towing with a tow bar then by all means leave the steering lock disengaged! I wouldn't bolt the tow bar to the aluminum foil bumper though.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!