Buying a 720 with an SD-22

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Ymmot

Post by Ymmot »

philip wrote:
Ymmot wrote:Final drive or Rear end ratio? To me final drive = rear end * OD.

What is the stock tire size on these trucks?
Here's our we do it: Click on this
Ymmot wrote:A 3.55:1 would be about 10% drop in RPM if the rear end is currently 3.88:1. That would be 2,300 RPM's at 60 then.
I have driven 55,ooo miles in three years. For Interstates in lower states I've like to have 3.00 to 3.25 !! But that would require some special made pinion/ring.
Thanks for the info.

The formula I have used for RPM to MPH is the following:

(MPH * trans ratio * rear end ratio * 336)/tire diameter in inches = RPM.

I noted that ther OD seems to be 0.8xx on the 5 speed. Does that sound about right? The math seem to indicate what was state about the RPMS at 60.

(60 * .8 * 3.88 *336)/24.25=~2580
Tom
Doing research. Have a Diesel Ford, looking into maybe getting an 81 Kingcab 720 with a SD22 in it.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ymmot wrote:(60 * .8 * 3.88 *336)/24.25=~2580
While I didn't pay much attention to the rest of your post, this caught my eye. I don't know what rubber you're running, but I just put a tape on the rear tire of my '81 and got an effective diameter of about 22.5" (r = 11.25"). "Effective" in that I measure from centre of hub to pavement, which takes into account the inflation level of the radial tires I have on it.

I may be off on my fly-by-night measurement though. It's parked on grassy gravel right now.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
Ymmot

Post by Ymmot »

Keep in mind that a tire in rotation will expand beyond that of a tire that is static. Now.... 1.75"? Probably not.

What is the listed Rev's per mile of your tire?

24.25 should be around 850.

BTW... I got the 24.25" tired diameter from the post that philip linked:

"Note: In order to get this "calculator" to use the actual 24.25" tire diameter I have installed, the tire aspect ratio had to be adjusted down to 165 from 185/75x14"

Now I see that read that wrong Looks like stock is a 165/75 x 14? which is a roughly 23.75"
Tom
Doing research. Have a Diesel Ford, looking into maybe getting an 81 Kingcab 720 with a SD22 in it.
Ymmot

Went and checked it out!!!

Post by Ymmot »

Ok, here is what is wrong:
  1. Some rust on the floor boards up in the driver's and passenger side foot wells.
  2. Windshield needs replaced.
  3. The E-brake doesn't work, probably a cable.
  4. Needs a shut off solenoid.
  5. Turn signals aren't working, hopefully a relay or a fuse.
  6. No plates.
  7. No key to work the door locks, possibly stolen one time as the ignition tumbler has been replaced the guy that owns it now.
  8. Minor rust on the exterior here and there.
Here is what is good:
  1. IT RUNS GREAT!!!!
  2. Trans and clutch seem fine
  3. Brakes are good
Here is a video of it at idle (click on image):

Here are the pics 1981 Datsun Diesel pickup.

I'm trying to decide if the truck is worth offering $800 on. If it didn't run so dang good this would be an easy decision.
Tom
asavage
Site Admin

Re: Went and checked it out!!!

Post by asavage »

Ymmot wrote:Ok, here is what is wrong:

Needs a shut off solenoid.
Nope, the DPC system isn't like anything you've ever seen before. If it won't shut off, chances are it also won't put the IP in "Start" mode (overfuel) during cranking, either. This can be cheap or expensive to fix. Do a search here on "DPC Controller", Philip's written a lot about maintaining the DPC system, and educate yourself on this, or be prepared to be surprised later. There's a lot to know, and I guarantee that it isn't like anything you've ever seen before.
Turn signals aren't working, hopefully a relay or a fuse.
Never that simple. Well, it could be the flasher relay, but it isn't real likely, they don't fail in the 720 very often. Worst case is a bad turn signal switch (I have several used ones), and they are the same as the gasser 720 so you can pick one up at any JY for fairly cheap, read more about them in this thread.
No key to work the door locks, possibly stolen one time as the ignition tumbler has been replaced the guy that owns it now.
I work as a locksmith. See how to find the keycode in this thread (glovebox sticker is likely up to 1983, or also the tailpiece of passenger door lock most any year if it hasn't been replaced). I can cut a key by that code that will work if the door locks haven't been rekeyed or replaced.
Here is a video of it at idle:
Requires Macromedia Flash version 8, which is unavailable for my platform, due to collusion between Macromedia and M$. That is, the code has been written, but Macromedia refuses to release it.
Here are the pics
Oh, I see what you mean about the turn signal and flasher relay, all hanging down. Just that mess alone should be worth knocking off $200 :)

Nice seat covers. Strange shifter boot. The usual broken intake plenum hose, which is apparently unavailable new. Is that red string holding the battery in? Check for rustout under the battery tray, it's very common up here. Used to be factory A/C but compressor is removed. Fuel filter looks like 1982 style (see this post for details). Cab rust is going to be worse than you think, see pics of this 1981 KC "Bellingham Truck" and look at the floor after the mat is removed, you'll see pretty much what yours will be like. The bed rust shown is typical.

Due to the rust, I would probably not offer more than $400 at the very most. The engine/trans and wheels make it worth that kind of money, and the fact that it can be driven is just icing. The "Bellingham Truck" I mentioned above had comparable rust to what you show (though the pictures of mine look worse because someone took a hammer to the weak areas of the floor and knocked them completely out, but it's not as if there was anything substantive holding them in!). The seat mountings were going, so the seat belt lower anchors were about non-functional, though you could yank on them, there's no way they'd offer protection in an accident, to prevent you from impaling yourself on the steering column shaft. Also, there was significant rust on the frame at the arches above the rear axle, which can't be seen unless you actually jack it up and get under it and look for it. I was leery of putting a load more than a couple hundred pounds in it for that reason, and I found a less rusty '86 gasser to do an engine swap with the drivetrain of the rusty one.

Take serious note of that rust. I consider that one to be bad enough to consider a "parts truck". The frame is not that hefty on the 720s.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
glenlloyd

Post by glenlloyd »

To follow on the rust issue, I always remind myself that the rust I see is probably 20% of the total damage. If I go into it with that expectation then I'm not surprised and angry about what else I find. If you have a chance to put the vehicle on jacks and look at the rear frame I would do it.

Have you seen the pic of the red Mazda truck on the hoist? I don't remember which forum it was posted under but you should see it. Granted, that's an extreme situation, but be aware that these frames take a big hit.

steve a
97 Jetta TDI, 86 VW Golf D
89 VW Fox diesel, 92 MB 300SD W140

gir - won't the sploding hurt?
zim - silence!
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

glenlloyd wrote:Have you seen the pic of the red Mazda truck on the hoist?
More pics by clicking on this pic:
Last edited by asavage 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Al S.

Ymmot

Post by Ymmot »

Thanks for the honest input guys...

It RUNS GREAT. Too bad about the rust though :cry:

I have someone here that is looking to get a hold of a little diesel engine like this.
Tom
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

It may run great now, but with a non-functional DPC system it might not start great when the weather's temps fall off.

Here, in our temperate climate, I can get away without the IP being put in "Start" mode, at least down to 40°F. But you may not be able to where you are. And you can't just lay your hands on a DPC motor or controller at your local JY, they are SD-specific.

Some DPC problems can be repaired. Philip has replaced the PCB-mounted relay on at least two DPC controllers.
Regards,
Al S.

Ymmot

Post by Ymmot »

Well if any of you are interested in this truck let me know and I will get you the contact info.
Tom
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Ymmot wrote:Well if any of you are interested in this truck let me know and I will get you the contact info.
Ya gotta be a "special" kind of SD22 Datsun :D Just ask me. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Ymmot wrote:Well if any of you are interested in this truck let me know and I will get you the contact info.
You've lost interest? Don't think he'll price it reasonably enough to make it worth futzing with?

There are better ones out there. Rust is always a problem around there though.
Regards,
Al S.

Ymmot

Post by Ymmot »

asavage wrote:
You've lost interest? Don't think he'll price it reasonably enough to make it worth futzing with?

There are better ones out there. Rust is always a problem around there though.
I am looking for a driver.... not a project. I love my Diesel F350, but 16MPG average is killing me for my commute. If I was looking for a project this would be a good start.
Tom
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Spending a thousand dollars more for one with less rust and fewer issues is a better deal, if you want a driver. OTOH, there are no 20-yr-old trucks that don't have some issues. If you don't want to be continually fixing things, this is a good truck to pass by.
Regards,
Al S.

Ymmot

Post by Ymmot »

Ohh.. I'm not expecting perfection. But I would like something that runs and I don't have to get a whole vehicle to transplant the engine into.

I've got a couple other vehicles I'm going to be checking in on. Unfortunately not a Nissan Diesel. They are, however, diesel.
Tom