New to the site, considering ZD30 engine swap into a z32.

Other Nissan diesel engines and vehicles: TD/RD/YD/FD/UD etc.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

zluster

New to the site, considering ZD30 engine swap into a z32.

Post by zluster »

Since there isnt a ZD engine forum, ill just throw this in the LD forum.

Hi, been around zcars for awhile and owned a 240z, 87 300SDL, own a 05 jeep liberty CRD, and several z32s.

Im wanting to take on a diesel z32 project and have been looking into the ZD30 engine(in turbo trim of course), but have also been considering the QD32.

I prefer the ZD for a few reasons, but dont have my mind set yet.

The QD is an older generation of engine, but is also availible much more cheaply because most are about 10 years old now.

The ZD is a fairly new engine, with most being from about 2005.

I like the ZD because it is newer, is also a 3L engine, and has Z in the engine name.

I like the QD because it is cheaper.

For my z32 swap I am debating about what EFI system to run. I will be sourcing an engine from Japan so its possible that I will be able to get all EFI harnesses, ECUs, etc from a donor vehicle to allow me to use the factory nissan EFI to run the engine.

The other option I face is using the bare minimum of the stock EFI harness(injector plugs and whatnot) and running an aftermarket engine management system. I like this option because it allows for the engine to be completely tuneable, to my needs, I would be somewhat limited by the stock ecu if I wanted to do a big power tune or a eco tune myself.

There are downsides to running an aftermarket engine managment, cost being one, the motec system, while very nice and would allow ALOT of adjustment, is also around $2400. The megasquirt on the other hand, is around $400 but does not offer nearly as many engine managment parameters. in addition there would be LOTS of trial and error to determine the proper injector timing, duty cycle etc.

I do not think the megasquirt has an option to increase fuel pressure, meaning that the throttle would only be controlled by injector pulse duration. I do not know if this would then max out the injectors before the engine reached maximum potential. I could run the fuel pump at a higher pressure also, therefore reducing the need for less injector duty, but this could also lead to premature failure of the pump.

Another issue presenting me is gearing. A non-turbo z32 has a 4.08 R200 rear end. A twin turbo z32 has a 3.69 R230 rear end.

This means that with stock tires and a 4k rpm redline the top speed would be 105mph with the twin turbo rear end. I am also sure that this would mean running the car at 75mph and would put it well above the peak torque range for that engine consideribly dropping gas mileage.

There are 2 solutions I can think of to this problem, some of the older infinities had a r200 3.54 rear end, this would help, but still leave it somewhat speed limited.

I could also try and source a donor manual trans, it would require some more research but I suspect the donor transmission to have more proper gearing for the diesel engine than the z32 manual trans does. This would also eliminate the need to machine a transmission adapter to mate a z32 trans to either diesel engine, though on the downside would require more fitting for a transmission support, and most likely a custom made driveshaft.

Thanks for having me on the site and I am absolutely estactic that I found a nissan diesel forum in english!
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Just FYI...A gasoilne fuel injection system is not going to be compatible with a diesel engine - i.e. Megasquirt will not work on a diesel. You can't really do a standalone FI system with a diesel. When you are injecting fuel into the cylinder at 1000s of lbs of pressure, gas FI systems cannot be modified to work. Gas injectors are in no way similar to diesel injectors.

Your best bet for an aftermarket system would be an injection system off of another type of (similar) diesel engine.

Then you actually have to find one of these non-U.S. spec motor and parts for it because they are probably not available staeside.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

zluster,

Welcome to the site. Don't get mad, I know you took your best shot on finding a home for this thread, but I am going to move it to User's Rigs. It is not off topic, but it is not LD either.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
zluster

Post by zluster »

83_maxima wrote:Just FYI...A gasoilne fuel injection system is not going to be compatible with a diesel engine - i.e. Megasquirt will not work on a diesel. You can't really do a standalone FI system with a diesel. When you are injecting fuel into the cylinder at 1000s of lbs of pressure, gas FI systems cannot be modified to work. Gas injectors are in no way similar to diesel injectors.

Your best bet for an aftermarket system would be an injection system off of another type of (similar) diesel engine.

Then you actually have to find one of these non-U.S. spec motor and parts for it because they are probably not available staeside.
Correct, and with the ZD being a common rail direct injection system gasoline injectors surely work not work, however that was not was I was saying.

I meant to say I would be using all the factory EFI system(injectors, pump etc) but instead of using a Nissan ECM which with a 16bit ecu(which I am unable to burn chips for) I would using a megasquirt to control it.

With the megasquirt I could build my own engine managment maps, and use it to control the stock injectors.
zluster

Post by zluster »

goglio704 wrote:zluster,

Welcome to the site. Don't get mad, I know you took your best shot on finding a home for this thread, but I am going to move it to User's Rigs. It is not off topic, but it is not LD either.
Bingo thats fine.

I have noticed in you sig you have a CRD, do you ever post on lost?
83_maxima

Post by 83_maxima »

Where in Colorado are you?
zluster

Post by zluster »

83_maxima wrote:Where in Colorado are you?
fort collins.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

zluster wrote:

Bingo thats fine.

Only a little. 8) Sir Sam, I presume?
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
zluster

Post by zluster »

goglio704 wrote:
zluster wrote:

Bingo thats fine.

Only a little. 8) Sir Sam, I presume?
Indeed, Jeep and Nissan worlds collide with a different handle.

I thought your screen name was familar, I didnt realize it was the exact same.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Your avatar gave you away. :lol:
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
zluster

Post by zluster »

goglio704 wrote:Your avatar gave you away. :lol:
Thats part of the reason I put it up, I thought you were on the CRD forum and decided I would put it here for recognition.

If I didnt think anyone here posted there I wouldnt have bothered.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

I mention my Maximas in my LOST sig, but nobody has ever inquired. I figured I couldn't be the only Nissan diesel / Jeep diesel enthusiast. I am not familiar with the engines you mentioned earlier. JDM items I assume. Keep us posted on your progress. Very interested in what you're proposing.
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
zluster

Post by zluster »

goglio704 wrote:I mention my Maximas in my LOST sig, but nobody has ever inquired. I figured I couldn't be the only Nissan diesel / Jeep diesel enthusiast. I am not familiar with the engines you mentioned earlier. JDM items I assume. Keep us posted on your progress. Very interested in what you're proposing.
I took note, but didnt mention anything because I have never owned a Maxima, and a 240z diesel conversion is pretty far down on my list of things to do, heck even a vanagon weekender with a TDI engine is higher up there.

Ah, so many things to do, so little time to do it.

The QD engines were used in the pathfinders overseas, as well as the vans.

The ZD engines are used in the newer patrols, frontiers, vans, etc. Basically all the good stuff we cant get here :evil:

The one other option that I have, and havent been too thrilled about, is the YD27 that came in the hardbodies and such in mexico, in many ways the QD and ZD engines are better options, however availibility may force me to goto mexico.

Luckly I have all the euro, japanese, and asia FAST files so if I need to order parts I at least have the part numbers availible.

though if you thought fast in engrish was frustrating, try it in Japanese :shock:

Any other ideas about using megasquirt for a diesel EFI?
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

zluster wrote: Luckly I have all the euro, japanese, and asia FAST files so if I need to order parts I at least have the part numbers availible.
Where would you go to order the parts?
zluster wrote:
though if you thought fast in engrish was frustrating, try it in Japanese :shock:

I can't imagine...
Matt B.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
zluster

Post by zluster »

goglio704 wrote:
zluster wrote: Luckly I have all the euro, japanese, and asia FAST files so if I need to order parts I at least have the part numbers availible.
Where would you go to order the parts?
zluster wrote:

I can't imagine...
Nissan Japan. Or AUS, depending which would be quicker and cheaper to get parts from.

I talked to our Zcar nissan guy, (http://www.czp.us) he said he might be able to order non-us parts with the PN, but was doubtful. I suspect that may be a dead end, but would be worth double checking.

I have come across a couple new OEM crate engines from nissan, I like them because I know everything on them is new and ready to go, they sure do look nice.

BTW I noticed an RD engine for sale on ebay....where might I post the link to inform other users of the site about it?