White smoke

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

T-note

White smoke

Post by T-note »

Hi guys,

I have just got my ld28 running for the first time in about 6months after doing a chassis swap (it was running really well before the swap) during that time I have changed the timing belt and had the throttle shaft seal replaced (the mechanic that did the seal said he had a bit of trouble with the markings on the top of the shaft and nut, as they were very faint, but felt he had it in the right place). Before the seal was done it was leaking fast, and we could not get it started, after it was done it started first go.

The engine seems to be missing and belching white smoke well after it should have disappeared (I have had it running for at least 20mins to warm up and it still smokes out the neighbourhood. literally lol). However, if i put the foot down it tends to clear up slightly.

The only thing I could think of is the timing, I have tried loosening the nuts off the IP and tried to advance/retard while running, the only thing that changed was the missing as the revs picked up, smoke stayed pretty much constant

Any ideas as to what could be causing this, throttle shaft/lever alignment? injectors?

Thanks Terry
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

I guarantee it is a tooth off of injection timing. Do you have a Factory Service Manual (FSM)? It gives the best process to be sure it is right. I see you are in New Zealand. In the USA 1982's use one set of A/B marks and 83's use another. I have no idea what they used in NZ.

Unfortunately my process of elimination is to check a different one that does run. (since I have others, I have that option)

I wish we had Nissan Patrols here, like you have there.
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

They've selected a new pope at the vatican?
diesel-man
Deceased

Post by diesel-man »

Terry:
White smoke is the timing is too early, and black smoke is timing too late.
20 Cogs on the injection pump belt is equal to 7 and one-eigth inches. So if you take the center of one cog and mark it, measure 7 1/8" then put a mark in the center of that cog on the belt. If this already checks out ok, then you may be using the wrong marks on the gear. (A/B) Or have the wrong slot lined up wth the key on the injection pump gear.
T-note

Post by T-note »

Thanks DieselMan, much appreciated. I did have a look at Als online FSM (thanks Al). New to this sort of stuff, the learning experience has been great. Looking forward to getting my motor on the road, which should be soon hopefully! :)