1977 Diesel Powered 280Z on ebay

Buy it, sell it, negotiate, haggle, drag it out from under the workbench or behind the garage and make it someone else's problem!

Moderators: glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

Carimbo

1977 Diesel Powered 280Z on ebay

Post by Carimbo »

1977 Datsun : Z-Series, ebay item 150133674135

Has anybody heard of this car before?
Up for sale is my 1977 Diesel Powered 280Z. I built this car a few years ago and it's time to start another project. This is a clean 1977 280Z with a Maxima Diesel engine ( the famous Nissan LD28 engine ) installed in it. This car gets 40 MPG on the highway, and close to that around town ( your milage may vary depending on your driving habits! ) It's plenty powerful, and is surprisingly fast. No need for a turbo or supercharger, this car will get up and go- and handles well, too! I've had it to just over 100 MPH a few times, so I know it can easily keep up with the traffic if not flat outright pass it. I took it to the 2005 Z Convention and this car took "Fastest Time" in my class ( 1st place ) at the autocross! It has working cold Nissan Factory A/C! Also a very nice sound system in it. ( JBL 100 watt 3 way speakers in the back and Pioneer 2 way speakers in the doors + a 100 watt Jenson amplifier behind the passenger seat ) The stereo is a Pioneer Super Tuner III CD unit. The seats are from a 1982 MR2 Toyota and are very comfortable. The dash is in great shape and has a dash cap on it. All the gauges work except the oil guage and the Tachometer. ( I never found a way to get the factory tach to work without an electronic distributor ) The clock is a VDO. This car has a 5 speed from the donor car ( a 1984 Maxima wagon ) and a 3.36 gear R180. It also has 280ZX front calipers on it with vented rotors. It has Hella H4 lights and three off road style driving lights in the grill. The wheels are American Racing Slotted Aluminum 14 X 7 and have like new 215/60/14 tires mounted on them. It also has Bilstein rear shocks and Koni D Adjustable front shocks, the springs are Motorsport Auto performance springs. This car has a front and rear sway bar as well. The air dam and tail spoiler are fiberglass. The paint is not perfect, but is in very good overall shape. No major rust anywhere on the car ( only a few small paint bubbles ) I would not hesitate to drive this car anywhere... I've driven it to New Hampshire and Rochester New York! It's very reliable.. comfortable and get absolutely great fuel milage! Like most diesels, It uses only a small amount of oil. The engine has about 250,000 miles on it, and it drips some, too - but with a diesel engine, that's about half life. This car makes a great daily driver and the best comuter/go to work car that you can imagine. It really turns head on the highway! This is the ONLY Diesel Powered 280Z in the U.S of A. - a VERY SPECIAL RIDE, indeed! If you have any questions, please ask before bidding - And do not bid on my car if you're not seriously interested in it. Winning the bid does not mean it allows you the chance to come to visit me to check it out and then decide if you want it or not. If you bid on it and you win the Auction you are expected to pay for the car. Payment terms are as follows for the winning bidder: I will only accept cash in hand for the full amount of the winning Bid or a Money Order/Cashier's Check that my Bank will approve payment on. If you are planning on paying me with a Money Order or Cashier's Check, you will not be driving my car away until my bank tells me that your Money Order or Cashier's Check is valid and it is GOOD TO GO, so sending it first THEN coming to get the car is what I will expect. I will not accept a personal check. I know it sounds rough but that's the way it will be or you won't get my car. Please Email me with any questions, and - Happy Bidding!!
Image Image Image Image

Not my car, etc., etc.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I like that bit about "the only one in the USA". Like it'd never been done before, or anybody interested couldn't Google for it and find at the least Joshua Tickell's from years back.

Also, donor car a 1984 Maxima? Diesel? I don't think so.

In answer to a Q, he says it does not smoke. Must be the only one!

Makes me wonder what else is inaccurate.

OTOH, no reserve and low starting price. Sure looks purty in the pics.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
pezfallout

Post by pezfallout »

When I saw this listing my heart about sank. It is what I've been wanting to do for a year or so, now, and I'm in the process of getting rid of my project 300ZX so I can buy a car in full and sell my '05 pick-up so I can get rid of a payment and have no money inbetwixt. Hmm, long sentence.

C'est la vie.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

$3500 with 5 days left! What would this car sell for if it had the original gas engine?
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
pezfallout

Post by pezfallout »

~$3-5k if the car is exactly as he described. He's riding the diesel craze and is getting some profit for it, which I can't say I didn't fall victim to a while back, too.
TheDieseliminator

Post by TheDieseliminator »

I too just about couldn't believe it when I saw this car in the search results for "Datsun diesel" on EbayMotors. I immediately clicked on it and I have to admit is a real nice car. I was thinking about bidding on it, but after checking what the bidding was at less than an hour ago I'll have to pass. It's already over $4,100. And Al I do have to agree with you about this one not smoking, with 250,000 miles on the engine there is no way it doesn't do it. Sharp car and someone should invite the seller to the forum, so we'd have his experience on converting one for questions and stuff.

Salvy
1982 Datsun Maxima diesel wagon w/ 228k miles
*occasional daily driver*

1982 Datsun Maxima diesel sedan w/ 252k miles
*now off the road as a parts car and sent to the yard :( *
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

Passed $5,000.00
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Sold for $5,220 (36 bids).
zluster

Post by zluster »

asavage wrote:I like that bit about "the only one in the USA". Like it'd never been done before, or anybody interested couldn't Google for it and find at the least Joshua Tickell's from years back.

Also, donor car a 1984 Maxima? Diesel? I don't think so.

In answer to a Q, he says it does not smoke. Must be the only one!

Makes me wonder what else is inaccurate.

OTOH, no reserve and low starting price. Sure looks purty in the pics.
Ya really, its not like this hasnt been done before. But I guess for the sake of the ad he was spinning it up.

Thats another thing on my list of swaps I want to do, though in slightly different trim. Ah to have more money!
HowlerMonkey

Post by HowlerMonkey »

Maybe it was when he built it.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

HowlerMonkey wrote:Maybe it was when he built it.
OK . . . but stating that in 2007 is like selling a '62 Corvair Spyder and stating that it's the only turbocharged production vehicle sold in America. True, at the time, but not now.

Fact checking isn't skin deep. And one obvious misstatement spoils the trustworthiness of the whole auction text.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.