Engine Harness Help Needed

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

AStevens

Engine Harness Help Needed

Post by AStevens »

Hi Gang,

The "new" harness is in (thanks Al), but the connections in the engine harness portion were so screwed up by the PO (aka crack monkey) that I can't figure out what goes where. So, you might say, "just look at the wire colors dummy". Well, that would be good enough if said PO hadn't fried all of them and then replaced them with whatever was laying around. I thought to consult my handy manual w/diesel supplement, but while showing the schematics, it doesn't show what the connectors looked like at one time or their specific placement.

I have a general idea of where things go.
Some connections are already made.
The harness is routed.

The details are just killing me on this one. Anyone care to help out with pics?
'81 KC 720 Diesel - JN6SD06SXBW009226
Future BioDiesel Beast - too ugly to get stolen
03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon 5spd (wife's new ride)
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Can you list the places you need pics for?

* Thermostat housing
* Alternator
* Starter
* DPC motor
* Oil pressure switch
* A/C Compressor

???
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
philip
Deceased

Re: Engine Harness Help Needed

Post by philip »

AStevens wrote:-snip- I have a general idea of where things go.
Some connections are already made.
The harness is routed.

The details are just killing me on this one. Anyone care to help out with pics?
I'd have to drive 466 miles to Tucson, "TooManyIdeas" for 450 miles, "Neil" for 255 miles, and "knucklehead" for 130 miles. :wink: Ok ... "we" can send you all sorts of photos! :D
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
AStevens

Post by AStevens »

Sorry about that Al and thanks Philip. I'm pretty much starting from scratch here since most of the factory connectors and wiring were hacked out by the PO. I went around the engine bay taking pics of some of the wires/connectors.

They're posted here: http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa16 ... ife/Truck/
Guest password is Cady

DSCN5616.jpg - I think that the red/black off of the starter will be ok with a new splice/connector.

DSCN5615.jpg - The two "eyelet" connections on the back of the alternator are a bit of a question. There is a black one and a white one. I can only assume that the black one grounds to the case and the white one goes on the screw/post near the connector.

DSCN5611.jpg just shows an example of what I'm dealing with.

DSCN5609.jpg is a plug near the line for the glow plugs. It's near the firewall. (does that glow plug line look right?)

DSCN5608.jpg shows a big plug that it missing a mate on the passenger fender area.

DSCN5617.jpg shows small lines over on the driver's fender area.

DSCN5614.jpg shows two big plugs near the passenger's side front of the engine.

DSCN5613.jpg shows a pair of wires near the passenger's side front of the engine.

DSCN5607.jpg shows the hack job on this glow plug relay
AStevens

Post by AStevens »

Just so you guys know, I don't expect this thing to be on the road tomorrow, so this isn't a rush deal. I appreciate anything I can get at this point and I'm very thankful to have you guys around.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

AStevens wrote:Sorry about that Al and thanks Philip. I'm pretty much starting from scratch here since most of the factory connectors and wiring were hacked out by the PO. I went around the engine bay taking pics of some of the wires/connectors.

They're posted here: http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa16 ... ife/Truck/
Guest password is Cady
DSCN5616.jpg - I think that the red/black off of the starter will be ok with a new splice/connector.
Goes to solenoid blade terminal on Starter.

DSCN5615.jpg - The two "eyelet" connections on the back of the alternator are a bit of a question. There is a black one and a white one. I can only assume that the black one grounds to the case and the white one goes on the screw/post near the connector.
White two wire plug goes to Alternator.
Black wire with rubber shield goes to Alternator Battery+.
Black wire (shield wire) goes to ground. Be sure the other end of this black wire ground to the body fender .... about 15" away.

DSCN5611.jpg just shows an example of what I'm dealing with.
Battery+ cable. Red spaghetti (4) to bypass fusible links to 2 plugs.

DSCN5609.jpg is a plug near the line for the glow plugs. It's near the firewall. (does that glow plug line look right?)
Plug to sub harness that feeds transmission (Reverse light switch) and Oil Pressure switch.

DSCN5608.jpg shows a big plug that it missing a mate on the passenger fender area.
DSCN5607.jpg shows the hack job on this glow plug relay

Missing plug/harness TO the Glow Plug relay.

DSCN5617.jpg shows small lines over on the driver's fender area.
Both blue (with red and yellow strips) for electronic sensor for glow plug module. Yellow/red for engine coolant temperature signal sensor.

DSCN5614.jpg shows two big plugs near the passenger's side front of the engine.
2 plugs to "fuse wires" to battery+

DSCN5613.jpg shows a pair of wires near the passenger's side front of the engine.
If the round plug goes to DPC/motor (bolt to eng block to control injection pump lever) then ... the two red/blu small wires go to A/C Receiver Drier low pressure switch.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:DSCN5616.jpg - I think that the red/black off of the starter will be ok with a new splice/connector.
Goes to solenoid blade terminal on Starter.
Warning!
That spade terminal is 5/16" (8mm). Male on the starter. You can buy the female 5/16" terminals, but it is very difficult to buy the male terminal in that size. Mine was damaged on one SD I owned; I carefully drilled through the male terminal on the solenoid and used a machine screw to connect the harness.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:Warning!
That spade terminal is 5/16" (8mm). Male on the starter.
NOTE: the female terminal from the wire & the male terminal from the solenoid is ... (cuz I checked today) ... is 1/4".

Now ... the starter/solenoid assembly was replaced at 100k miles. The wire (considering the female and plastic hood) was/in OEM.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

philip wrote:NOTE: the female terminal from the wire & the male terminal from the solenoid is ... (cuz I checked today) ... is 1/4".

Now ... the starter/solenoid assembly was replaced at 100k miles. The wire (considering the female and plastic hood) was/in OEM.
Then mine is the later, superiour terminal! More surface area. And even so, the larger, 5/16" terminals on the GP harness (both SD and LD) are insufficient over the long run.
Regards,
Al S.

AStevens

Post by AStevens »

Thanks guys. I'll get into it this week and see if I can't make some of this stuff work.
AStevens

Post by AStevens »

Finally got some time this afternoon to work on the old beast. (20 days of traveling and house guests) I sold my 98 4WD Frontier yesterday too, so I'll be working on this thing more and more.

The terminal on the starter solenoid is ok. "New" harness replaced that ragged crack-monkey wire.

I'll check with some former coworkers at Nissan and see what's available soon for the GPR harnesses and fusible links. I wonder if Nissan still stocks some old things like that? We used to replace the links on the older trucks with Z-motors every now and then. (I saw the links to OEMSurplus as well.)

I still have to figure out how to get the aux harness for the reverse light and some sort of sending unit low on the passenger side of the engine. The harness is gone from the reverse light switch and theaforementioned mystery sending unit has a stipped yellow wire hanging from it.

Philip, that photo of the GPR harness is golden. I wish that I had one like that for every foot of this harness. Like my dad always says, "wish in one hand and crap in the other".....ahhhh redneck wisdom.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

AStevens wrote:I still have to figure out how to get the aux harness for the reverse light and some sort of sending unit low on the passenger side of the engine. The harness is gone from the reverse light switch and theaforementioned mystery sending unit has a stipped yellow wire hanging from it.
Does this help?
Image Image

I have your transmission harness now, and if you need this oil pressure sender, I've got that too, though I would think a new one would be a better deal all around.

This is the transmission harness from the "Orting Truck". The round-ish connector connects it to the main harness near the oil cooler (shown very clearly above), and the two female bullet connectors connect to the reverse light switch on the right side of the transmission.

Regards,
Al S.