Running SD22 on 2-3 cylinders... on gasoline

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

karotto

Running SD22 on 2-3 cylinders... on gasoline

Post by karotto »

Hi there. I got a SD22 with only 60k original miles. It’s an 84 has only been used around the farm. When I bought it a year ago it has been sitting on a lawn for over a year without being touched. I did not do a tuneup but drove it right away. It ran like a charm but I did notice as it got colder that starting took longer. Only 1 or 2 cylinders would fire first and then the others would come along.
Yesterday, suddenly, it would barely start at all. Finally it did and then I pushed the pedal to the floor for about a minute until the engine finally revved up. It only ran on 2-3 cylinders. When I drove it it ran ok but still not smooth. On the way home it got worse. It stalled and would not restart. Then did restart but again only 2 or o cylinders. Sometimes with the pedal to the floor it woudl decellerate and then suddenly acellerate. It kept stalling but I did make it home.
Anyone know what this could be? Why all of a sudden? What should I do? I have little money, I know much about cars but next to nothing about diesels. It might just be something extremely obvious like a tune up that should have happened 5 years ago. Thanks all for your help.
PS: not sure if it makes a difference but I am in Australia
Datsun SG720 2WD ute (pick up) with SD22 diesel engine
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If you look through past posts, you'll find very good information about the glow plug system and fuel filters.

You probably have two separate problems.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
karotto

Fuel filter

Post by karotto »

Thanks for your reply. So apart from the starting problems, you think it is the fuel filter that causes the problem? If I change it you think it will run fine again? Thank you.
philip
Deceased

Re: Fuel filter

Post by philip »

karotto wrote:Thanks for your reply. So apart from the starting problems, you think it is the fuel filter that causes the problem? If I change it you think it will run fine again? Thank you.
Al: Looks to me that "karatto" does not agree with you. :wink:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
karotto

Problem solved! You people will KILL me!

Post by karotto »

Gosh. I solved the problem. I had filled the tank with gasoline instead of diesel. How unbeliavabley emberassing. The only reason why I did not figure it out is because I could not imagine anyone would be THAT STUPID! Sorry to have wasted your time in this good forum.
Ken
philip
Deceased

Re: Problem solved! You people will KILL me!

Post by philip »

karotto wrote:Gosh. I solved the problem. I had filled the tank with gasoline instead of diesel. -THAT STUPID! - SNIP
Ken: It is still advised that you:

1) drain out fuel in the tank by using the plug on the tank bottom.

2) replace the secondary fuel filter.

3) find a DIESEL label and stick it where you will see it. :wink:

4) I can erase this entire post / thread if you're really embarrassed. :wink: :)
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

I lived in an area where an owner could not fill her own fuel tank (state of Oregon). I had two diesel vehicles filled with petrol! Both of them had ruined injection systems within a few miles.

The first was a Chevrolet G30 van; the fuel station's insurance company paid over US$3000 to have the injection system rebuilt.

The second, a year later, different fuel station, was a VW Rabbit. That station's insurance company totalled the vehicle (bought it from me).

Both vehicles had the OEM "Diesel Fuel Only" sticker on the fuel door. If they hadn't, the insurance companies would not have paid for their clients' mistakes.

My father has filled his diesel Ford with petrol, but caught the mistake before starting, so merely expensive and embarrassing, no damage.

You are not alone.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
after oil

Post by after oil »

i know a guy who once filled his friend's diesel landcruiser tank with gasoline. the friend was prettty pised off, but it was discovered that he put gasoline in his own YELLOW jerry can, confusing the guy. the guy had no sense of smell i guess
"... the rare and elusive 1987 D21/SD25, I have come to believe these trucks exist ONLY in the minds of people who own them. " phillip R.I.P.

1987 nissan d21 SD25, canada/2 tank SVO
1993 mitsubishi delica chamonix 4X4 diesel van
bacho

Post by bacho »

We have mixed diesel and gas before, Just blows some smoke untill you remove it. Never been a huge deal other than finding a place to put 40 gallons of contaminated gas.
1992 nissan pathfinder 4x4
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

'bacho': You make it seem no big deal. A gallon gas into 13 gallons diesel is a LOT LESS than when you've got 50/50% gas/diesel in 13 gallons. As a matter, my original owner did this accidentally. It started fine and drove it for about 20 miles. He turned if off. When trying to restart ... it wouldn't start. Call a tow truck.

Moral is: Friends mean well but ... they do things routinely. Ooops
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

bacho

Post by bacho »

Well my best example is a PowerStroke Diesel, Ford (PSD) that got filled up with abour 50/50 ratio early in the morning. A call was made to Ford and they said it would be ok so it ran all that day until we got a chance to drain it. The same thing has been done to all the equipment at some point wether its diesel in a gas or gas in a diesel. We dont run them much like this but it happens and sometimes we are forced to run them and no problems.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Violently disagree. The Voice Of Experience here.

Used to live in Oregon, the last state where you can't pump your own fuel -- by law.

1) My '83 G30 (GM 6.2l) had a 33 gallon tank. I brought it to a fuel station, they pumped 30 gals. of unleaded in. I got eight miles before it died. It was towed to Capitol Chevolet in Salem, Ore. They purged the fuel system and gave it back to me. I made it three blocks and brought it back immediately: lacked power, lots of black smoke. I had driven it 43k miles at that point (145k on the odo) and our family had bought it new: I knew what it was supposed to run like, the dealer wasn't going to pass this crap off on me!

The dealer agreed to pull the entire injection system this time: IP, injectors, filters, lift pump. The Stanadyne DB2 IP was TRASHSED, almost not rebuildable. In fact, after they got it back from their rebuilder, and I drove it three weeks (running well, this time), it began leaking fuel, leaving a drop or two wherever it was parked. Back to dealer (fourth time): cracked IP housing, new IP time.

2) Almost exactly one year later, '82 Rabbit, very good runner, something like a nine gallon tank, got eight gallons of unleaded. This time, I only made it three miles and it died. Had it towed to "The Rabbit Hutch", they stored it and gave me what I wanted: an estimate for an injection system overhaul, no if ands or buts. Insurance company took one look at that estimate and wrote me a check, totaled the car (a very clean car it was, too). I paid off The Rabbit Hutch ($200) and bought the car for salvage value (about $100), towed it home, bought a Gen1 gasser Maxima fuel pump from a JY and purged the fuel system myself, got it running, drove it for a month and sold it for $150. The VE IP was TRASHED, it was very difficult to start (had been flawless starting before), and smoked like a demon if pressed at all.

Don't tell me that mixing gasoline with diesel is OK, I've fought the battles and have the scars and paid the bills. The inline Kiki-Diesel might put up with it with only a whole lot more wear than it otherwise would have had -- it is known to be an extremely durable IP -- but other injection systems won't.

Is it done? Sure, all the time. Is it safe? Not on your life. The old MB could get away with it for a while, it was the same design Inline IP. I'm amazed your PSD's HEUIs (Hydraulic Electric Unit Injector) were able to work at all after that treatment.

The engine's hard parts won't be hurt, but the injection system absolutely can't take it without being destroyed or having significant wear.
Regards,
Al S.

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

bacho wrote:Well my best example is a PSD that got filled up with abour 50/50 ratio early in the morning. A call was made to Ford and they said it would be ok so it ran all that day until we got a chance to drain it. -SNIP-.
Of course your dip Ford dealer would say it's okay .... because they want to SELL new parts. NO REAL dealership would say such Bandini.

I have to wonder about you. What do you mean by .....
bacho wrote:Never been a huge deal other than finding a place to put 40 gallons of contaminated gas.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

bacho

Post by bacho »

philip wrote:
Of course your dip Ford dealer would say it's okay .... because they want to SELL new parts. NO REAL dealership would say such Bandini.
More than 100k on that truck since then and its still one of the best running trucks my family owns.

We ended up putting the gas in a barrel and used it to light fires for a long time.
1985 KC 720 4x4
1982 KC 720
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

We started out with DIESEL ... being diluted with gasoline and Hazard Waste disposal.

Now we're the reverse ... GASOLINE with some dilute diesel and the havoc ECM systems.

See GASOLINE with diesel dilute havoc
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22