Our Moderator, Philip . . .

Ongoing discussion of anything not related to Nissans or diesels.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger, kassim503

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead »

My problem has been coming out from under and bashing my head on the underside of an open door. :x
'82 standard cab 3 axle SD22 turbo
'89 int'l 9700 Cummins 444 (855 ci)
'29 HD FD export model
zen

Post by zen »

mines not getting run over..as all work is done on the street..

now are my feet sticking out from under car??
turbo it

(sd33t home turbo set up if anyone is interested..)
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

zen wrote:SNIP - Now are my feet sticking out from under car??
Ohkay :twisted: In relation to your feet and the tires ... is the rest of your body under the car or outside of the car? :twisted:
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:I've done that a couple of times (I'm a slow learner). It's a rule here: floor jack handle is stored UP.
"We" shall follow THIS rule. :lol:

-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

billyg wrote:I've searched the forum and was unable to find anything addressing my problem so here goes; the fuse for the running (front sides and rear back) lights, which is fuse # 13 in the box blows as soon as I put one in. -SNIP- BTW, PHILLIP, hope your feeling better!
Thank you very much. My brain is coming back and expanding ... so I'm coming to believe that I'll never make it "back." :roll:

Electric wire searching like your problem ... I'd rather install a new disposal.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

philip
Deceased

Re: Our Moderator, Philip . . .

Post by philip »

asavage wrote:. . . has had a fairly major health setback, and will be participating primarily as a lurker (reader) for a time. Let's all think positive thoughts toward his swift healing, and rejoining us in voice as well as spirit.
Well ... as of March 16, my stroke will be 1yr past. Aphasia has faded and faded but I still have periods under stress. Worse than having aphasia is dealing with other people who get angry an very impatient with me.

To give you all an example. A nurse or appointment office person calls. I can't understand much (not meaning unable to hear). Sometimes just one or two key words in a sentence makes the whole statement useless. Due to the STRESS on both ends of the call, I finally bought a FAX machine and dedicated my home hardline phone to the FAX, keeping my cell phone for Voice only. That helped alot because I programed the FAX Message to say "This is my dedicated FAX only. My Voice number is ............ (I'd speak that number CLEARLY and SLOWLY). The FAX also blocked off all the blasted advertisers because they can't be bother dialing my cell phone. :D Anyway, with the FAX, I could read, correctly understand, and correctly answer in my own time using the FAX.

Numbers. Someone calls and BLURTS out a phone number. Or then BLURT out their call back number on my cell phone. I'd have to repeat their message up to a DOZEN times to get their phone number right. Back then (and still though better) I would have to echo EACH number back before giving me the next number. To BLURT more than 2 numbers ... I'm out. THIS is the sort of thing that really pisses people off. You should have been there at Verizon when I had to visit their store!! And if that wasn't enought, I went to a sandwich stop and had to tell each damned thing I wanted just for a ham and cheese sandwich. But I got that figured out two ways. I FAX what I wanted before leaving home or ... I'd write out what I wanted and just handed it at the counter. I still have to look some words in my mind until I can say the right word.

In the begining, aphasia was like having my mental faculties but limited to about 25, single word syllables. Public people still tend to BLURT alternatives to what they said the first time ... as if THAT would help. Just MORE words. GAD :shock: :x

Thankfully, asphasia has faded as much as it has.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Phillip

Glad to hear aphasia is better. Thanks for relating some details. It will help me understand some of the possible difficulties in communicating w/people recovering from stroke and also what techniques might help. My family has had some history of strokes and I suspect this may be important info.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

Rufus: As you reach 40 yrs, get / keep you cholesterol and tryglycerides (lipids) DOWN. You want thin blood coursing throughout ... not ketchup. There are many people who should have started Warfarin before having a stroke.

Get off the red meats, especially the ground meat / fat off your diet. Get off the eggs and things with eggs mixed in, ie dressings. Minimizing your butter and/or margarin. Say good bye to dairy having 2% or more fat. Back off the salt.

When there is a family history ... (like me), have a sonigram check for your carotids and be ready for a heart examination.

Some freak out and then try to stay veggie. Good luck. Not many stay on that diet and .... I know two lacto-ove vegetarians that still got overweight and one with plaque in her carotids.

A little (81mg) aspirin every day is recommended by nearly all cardiologists.
Last edited by philip 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

> [diet]

Phillip, I think you just hit every single preventive eating rule I've heard of - but it sounds a whole lot more important coming from you. I guess it's time to get serious.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

rlaggren wrote:> [diet]

Phillip, I think you just hit every single preventive eating rule I've heard of - but it sounds a whole lot more important coming from you. I guess it's time to get serious.

Rufus
Regarding "diet" (barf...oops) ... here' what worked for me. I eat whatever my mind and stomach desires. Stopping eating this ... avoiding that ... well, I just could not stay with the "diets". For me, the problem was cholesterol, tryglycerides, salt, sugar, alcohols ... but not weight. (imagine that!)

Here's the two things that did work for me.

1) SUBSTITUTE ... instead of eliminating. IE, instead a big juicy hamburger with fries and Coke, I buy (or make) a big juicy Veggie Burger, small salad (no sloppy dressing ... use italian), and drink water (all I want). Substitute butter with olive oil, limit dairy to 1% fat.

Many upscale restaurants (like "Farmer Boys Restaurant" in southern CA http://www.farmerboys.com/) offer veggie burgers. You're going to eat as much as you need to fill your stomach so ... choose wisely.

2) Finding thick plaque in my carotids and one little spot in my heart scared the liver out of me. That's motivation!

Have the extensive blood lab and have the sonigram of your carotids. Better to know the facts in your body.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

Land-Rover SI

Get better

Post by Land-Rover SI »

I just want to wish you a better health and give you some good thoughts from the cold Norway - today we got 1 foot of snow.

Wbr

Roland
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Philip has been hospitalised. Member plenzen called for him today to check up . . .
. . . I called I got an answer from Patricia, Philip's sister. Philip is presently in St Joe's hospital. (I do not know where that is but assume in SoCal someplace). She tells me (readers digest version) that on Friday last, the 18th of April, Philip was not feeling well and called the paramedics to his home. They took him to the hospital and after a short period of time there Philip stopped breathing and his heart stopped as well. He has been on a ventilator and heart machine, I think she said until today, where he started breathing again on his own and his heart is still being operated for him, but I can't remember for sure. It's either that or it is being "paced".

He has not regained consciousness and had not regained any sort of his cognitive functions, and remains in a semi-conscious state and very lethargic and unresponsive. The neurologist is there to see him now (1930 MST) and they are going to check brain function(s) and a number of other things, I'm sorry but I can't recall everything that she said. She is very hopeful and trying to be optimistic. She said that she will include me on an email that she is going to put out . . .

Sorry to bear such lousy news but I pray for his recovery and certainly/hopefully look forward to many more "differences of opinion" on different issues that we have had fun with over the past few months.

Paul
I thank Paul for following up on Philip's absence.
redmondjp

Post by redmondjp »

Thanks for posting the update. It sounds serious.

I'll be praying for him also.
1982 Datsun 720 King Cab, SD22, 86K miles (sold)
1981 Rabbit LS 4-door, 1.6D, 130K miles (sold)
1996 Passat TDI 4-door sedan, 197K miles
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Below is a excerpt from the update that I received from Phillips sister.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Philip was definitely more active today.
Late afternoon, he complained of having pain, so he was given a pain reliever which also helped to calm him down so he could rest quietly. We will continue to hope and watch for more signs of recovery.
:)
Last edited by plenzen 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Highlights from the update of the 25th

Philip was recalling even more information than yesterday. He was sitting up by himself for awhile. He was saying "hi" to the nurses, the cleaning crew and each person that came into his room. He remembered who had stopped by the day before.............................We will continue to watch how Philip recovers over the next several days.

I will be away for a week and return on the 04 May. I will post an update when I get back.

Paul
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN