FOUND! "Original Creampuff" '82

This is where we can post about our rigs, specs, ongoing plans, etc., links to pics.

Moderators: goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rigger

FOUND! "Original Creampuff" '82

Post by rigger »

Hello, this is my first post and I just stumbled across this site looking for info about my latest purchase - an '82 Maxima.

A background about me, I'm a car guy who has recently taken a liking to diesels more than I used to. Why? I am in the process of doing a WVO conversion on my '86 Jetta that is much like this Maxima in condition. I do have a diesel Yanmar tractor too.

Thursday I was searching the local classified that is posted every Thursday and I ran across this car in the "Antiques & Collectibles" section. Every so often someone posts an over 25 car there. I saw an "82 Datsun Maxima" posted. Ad stated "Original owner, diesel, all original manuals, garaged". I was intrigued so I called. All there was, was an answering machine message (elderly man voice) - I left a message. No answer until yesterday afternoon. I rushed down to see it. (an hour away since I live in the country)

What it was....

Original paint - Owner stated he NEVER waxed it. Just Turtle Wax wash and wax. I think once I wax it the light scratches will come out and the paint will shine more. Nary a ding in the car, straight as an arrow! When he said garage kept, he meant for the last 25 years!!

113,800 miles- Sounds nice, but here was the kicker. Not only did he have the MX manuals but he kept every last reciept and record on ANYTHING that has been done to it in the last 25 years. A little Memorandum book has it all written down. Oh, he even had the original bill of sale and window sticker. The car was $11,800 new.

Original interior - Nice shape. Some slight fading but material excellent. I can't help but think Armor All may have played a part with a bit of dash discoloration. The dash is immaculate though. Voice system works fine.

Under the hood, you can eat off the engine and it looks as though he kept it that way since Day 1 - he stated he had. I also got a LARGE box of parts. He stockpiled OEM Nissan hoses, filters etc. This car is not a smoker. I did notice a bit last night when I turned on the A/C and I was going up a hill at the same time. He regularly put IP cleaner in it and the pump belt was fairly recently changed.

About 2 months ago I go my Jetta diesel stating to my wife finding a low mileage, very original, original owner, all MX records pre-computer / pre-turbo diesel would be few and far between and that was why I needed to get my Jetta. Then this came up - she's NOT HAPPY! :roll: She'll get over it. I had went to look at this with the intention of doing a conversion on it as well (WVO), this is too much of a survivor to do that to so it will go in the garage as a back-up car to the others. With a little detailing, it would be show condition as it is as nice as maybe a 2-3 year old car.

Problem areas with it: :(
Cruise Control - not sure yet FIXED!!. No light on switch, does not engage either.
Brake lights FIXED!!- I swore I saw them work when he backed it out of the garage. According to records, he's driven the car 200 miles over the last 2 years. He said he took it out once a week, but didn't go far. I suspect the brake light switch is out. I'll check the fuses first though.
A/C needed charged/converted FIXED!!- I did it in Oreilly's parking lot last night and it worked great on the 50 mile trip home.

Now IYO, what was a good price for it? I'm not really going to disclose the price yet as I hate to be told I'm an idiot even though IMO I paid a VERY GOOD price for it.

The original owner watched me as I drove away last night, he said his wife was inside crying. Said he couldn't understand that as they had both agreed to sell it. I can understand, the car has a lot of memories. 25 years is a long time and as immaculate as it was kept - I would consider it was treated as a family member or as my wife says I treat my cars BETTER than a family member. I assured him it was going to the best buyer he could of found for it and she shouldn't be worried as it will be taken care of.

Sorry for the long post, I thought you may enjoy as you seem like absolute Maxima die-hards. Here are some pics, the car already got dirty going down my road! :(

Image[/b]
Last edited by rigger 17 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

Welcome to the board and congratulations. Very nice car. Glad to hear you'll be garaging it. A car that nice certainly deserves it. I'd love to find an 83 wagon that nice.

P.S. This will probably be moved to User's Rigs at some point.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

If it was a Wagon, I'd probably have paid up to around $3000 for it, myself (if I was in the market for one).

On the Cruise Control: the most common problem is the small hoses near the control solenoids on the firewall above the starter. They crack. They won't lose enough vacuum to affect the power brakes, but the CC won't engage.

The "On" light should come on, but the problem is likely the lamps (there are three). Unfortunately, there is no easy way to get the CC switch out of the console without breaking the console, so be very, very careful when prying it out -- I recommend unbolting the console or radio to get at it. Then you can replace the lamps.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
1981 720 SD22 (scrapped 04Sep07)
1983 Sentra CD17, 255k, bought 06Jul08, gave it away 22Jun10.
rigger

Post by rigger »

Thanks for moving to "USERS RIGS", sorry to offend....

Does anyone know if the brakelight switch runs off the cruise? When I was driving home last night and playing with the switch I heard a "pop" and once I got almost home I noticed no brake lights. One reason I do like diesels is when someone does ride my tail I have the option to POOF them though tailgaters weren't a problem last night. Seems as though people are associating speed with MPG finally.

Thanks for the info on the CC. I found the switch bulb thread earlier.

Wife is having a problem with me mentioning it will be garaged as it takes some effort to get into the garage despite the fact it is huge, the doors are manual roll up so getting the car out takes a few minutes. She seems to think I am a little too enthusiastic about this car and laughs at me mentioning it can actually be considered a drivable collectible due to its condition. The pictures do this car no justice....
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rigger wrote:Does anyone know if the brakelight switch runs off the cruise?
I do not have the entire FSM online at the moment, but I think you said that you have it for yours. Check in the EL section (second from the last chapter) and you can find that info. I am out of town until Monday night at the earliest, and do not have a FSM with me.
Regards,
Al S.

1982 Maxima diesel wagon, 2nd & 4th owner, 165k miles, rusty & burgundy/grey. Purchased 1996, SOLD 16Feb10
1983 Maxima diesel wagon, 199k miles, rusty, light yellow/light brown. SOLD 14Jul07
rigger

Post by rigger »

I went out and inspected it.

I KNOW it is probably the brake light switch. Brake lights stay on all the time, fuse was pulled - replaced it and they do work constantly. I have a new switch on order. When I saw them working earlier, I suppose that was my imagination. I just wonder if the old guy had a clue about the lights out and the fuse pulled....... Oh well, new switch was $14 so no big deal. Washed it earlier and got the clay off. (visible in pics) Then I hit it with a clay bar and wax. on the hood and it produced more of a shine. What is incredible about the car is NO wax in any crevices. All the black stuff isn't faded either.(wipers, windshield trim etc.)

What I would like to find is the headlight trim and grill, the chrome on the plastic has come off. If I could find those small items this car would be a strong 2+, as it is - it is maybe a 2- and I grade hard.
Last edited by rigger 16 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
goglio704

Post by goglio704 »

rigger wrote:Thanks for moving to "USERS RIGS", sorry to offend....
Not a problem. We're actually not very fussy here, but as things get bigger it becomes more important to stay organized. Al actually moved the thread before I got around to it.

Diesel-man recently posted that the brakelights on one of his cars stayed on constantly. Have a look at what he wrote.
Matt B.

83 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 5 speed, white, 130k miles. My original Maxima.
83 Maxima Sedan converted from gasser, LD28, 5 speed, 2 tone blue, 230k miles
82 Maxima Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, 2 tone Gray/Silver, 140k miles
81 810 Sedan, LD28, 3 speed auto, rust, rust, and more rust!

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rigger wrote:What I would like to find is the headlight trim and grill, the chrome on the plastic has come off.
A lot of this stuff is still available through the Nissan parts network. I can look up the Nissan part Nos. when I get home, or if you are handy with a computer and have a broadband connection and are running Windoze, you can install the Nissan FAST parts lookup software. It might cost you as much as two hours and ten bux.
Regards,
Al S.

dlh

Post by dlh »

Before you buy any switches, have a look under at the brake pedal. You will most likely find a couple of holes where 2 plastic plugs were located. The plugs would make contact with the switches for the brake lights and CC.

Some have used a nut and bolt to replace the plastic plugs.
crank pirate, cannibalistic zcar owner
1982 280zx turbo 4 spd auto
1973 240z, lsd, cv axles
rigger

Post by rigger »

BRAKE LIGHTS FIXED!! Thanks! Sure enough, the pedal stops were completely MIA.

Not sure about the cruise yet as I haven't taken it on a test drive, I can hear it come on when the car is off and I hit the on button so sure enough I bet the lights are burnt out. Checked the hoses and they "look" good but as with any vacuum hose there are always those cracks that are over looked.

Hit a few more panels with the clay bar.

asavage = I'll have to try the link later as I don't have a broadband connection sinec I live so far out in the country its not available. :(

Thanks again.
dlh wrote:Before you buy any switches, have a look under at the brake pedal. You will most likely find a couple of holes where 2 plastic plugs were located. The plugs would make contact with the switches for the brake lights and CC.

Some have used a nut and bolt to replace the plastic plugs.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rigger wrote:asavage = I'll have to try the link later as I don't have a broadband connection sinec I live so far out in the country its not available.
I hear you. I live in a peculiar rural area, just adjacent to a mill town-converted-to-an-upscale-retirement-community. So they have a very antique but antique high-end switching "office".

So, when I moved there three years ago, I could get std DSL (1.5mbs down, 860 up) but not voicemail, call waiting, or any other advanced feature.

Can't get voicemail???

Any, it's only been within the last few months that they somehow routed voicemail to another CO and now I could get it -- if I wanted it. Still can't buy 7mbs DSL though, and if/when it comes available I'll pony up the bux for it -- I do enough online that I can justify it.

Anyway.

Downloading the two .iso files via dialup would take a few days, but if you can get them you can look up your own part numbers (with some learning curve and some hassles), then plug them into one of the online parts sites, such as

http://www.nismoparts.com/cart/?pn=49110-W1705
rigger

Post by rigger »

Good news! The cruise works great!! Bulbs on switch burnt out as suspected.

Bad News - Just lost a wheel "ornament" (center cap) on my washboard dirt road. Going looking for it now.

Even worse news -
Wife hates the car. Took it on a 100 mile cruise today and she doesn't like it. Out of our 5 cars, the Jetta is her favorite though she originally said the Toyota because she thought it got better mileage than the Jetta. She changed her mind after I mentioned the Jetta got 10MPG better than the Corolla. I'm still keeping it, she can't stand the car though. Mainly due to the fact she thinks I'll be a little obsesive compulsive about it like I have been on other cars I liked a lot. Just sold a Honda Insight I was like that with - Main reason I sold it, too expensive of a car to let sit and I didn't want to drive it due to my location (rural dirt roads).
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rigger wrote:Bad News - Just lost a wheel "ornament" (center cap) on my washboard dirt road. Going looking for it now.
They're $21
Even worse news -[/b] Wife hates the car.
So . . . wanna sell it?
Regards,
Al S.

rigger

Post by rigger »

asavage wrote:They're $21

I FOUND IT!!
I see why it fell off though. One of the tabs had been cracked before and looked like it was repaired with 3M molding glue. I'm about to make the same repair if I can find my glue.

I found that thread earlier and noticed the part #. In with the records the old man gave me was that part # (the box flap with the #). I suspect he had replaced a few in his time though he said the car is on its second set of tires right now and they are like new. He said the first set dry rotted, still had plenty of tread left.
So . . . wanna sell it?
Not gonna happen..... :mrgreen: I like it and that's all that counts, its all about me..... :shock:

When accelerating out onto the interstate today I had to accelerate up a hill. Talk about smokin'! Don't think my Jetta is that bad. I know he was meticulous about keeping the IP clean and gave me some super duper concentrated IP cleaner. This stuff is potent, one gallon treats 7,000 gallons.

Car doesn't smoke normal (idle or light acceleration) so IMO all is OK.
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

rigger wrote:When accelerating out onto the interstate today I had to accelerate up a hill. Talk about smokin'!
Both of my LD28s smoke pretty bad under hard acceleration. I'm driving my '82 Wagon daily now, it has gone 3300 miles and the oil level is still not down to the 'H' mark on the dipstick; it's a tight motor at 160k. But the black smoke is bad.

If you haven't, do read up on Intake Grunge. Restricted intake air can exacerbate the smoke problem.
Regards,
Al S.