Fuel filter sedimentor

Dealing with all subsystems specific to the diesel powered Datsun-Nissan 720 pickup trucks.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

Old Smokey

Fuel filter sedimentor

Post by Old Smokey »

From an email to Al earlier today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, Andy:

I was out of the office much of today; sorry for the delay.
I didn't think my question was worthy of a whole post and searching
didn't prove to be fruitful either.
The post you want to read is this one.
First off, thanks for putting together a great forum. I'd really be in
the dark without all the info on here!
I did it in self-defense. Read why here.
I'm in the process of replacing all the fluids and filters on an '82 720 with the SD22. I picked up the correct replacement secondary fuel filter from Napa (3224) with the hole in the bottom for the sedimentor/water sensor.
That's the '82-on style (Jul-81 is the stated cutover date) . . .
The filter that is currently in the truck is a different model without the hookup . . .
It's possible that you have a late '81 or very early '82 truck. For
future reference, would you email me the Production Date on the metal
plaque on the driver's door jamb?
. . . so unfortunately there is no sensor to connect to. Would you happen to know where I might find one of these little buggers?
The sensor? I don't have one, but it's very likely still available from Nissan, and I think it's the same one as used on the other Nissan models.

See this parts picture:

I do not have a spare right now.

The Nissan number appear to be:

Sensor: 16412-V0700 ($13)
Gasket (o-ring) : 16406-V0701 ($1)
Detector: 16470-36W00 ($25)

If you are asking if you can add the Water-in-Fuel detection to a
truck not equipped for it, the wiring schematic and diagrams are on
this page.
1982 720 KC
Old Smokey

Post by Old Smokey »

Al, I should have been more clear earlier. Upon inspection of the fuel filter area, there appears to be the wiring harness connector (female plug) shown in the autozone diagram.

I checked the manufacture date stamped at the top of the door jamb plate. 9/81. Well, the title says it's an '82! :lol:

According to your email then, as it is a later model 81, it is set up to use the sensor, no?

I'm curious what possible harm could be done by using the earlier 81 filter that has no sensor (the one that is currently installed).

Thanks again.
1982 720 KC
asavage
Site Admin

Post by asavage »

Old Smokey wrote:Al, I should have been more clear earlier. Upon inspection of the fuel filter area, there appears to be the wiring harness connector (female plug) shown in the autozone diagram.
Then you are ready to go with the Water sensor. You just need the sensor itself, which is nothing more than a plastic wing stud with a metal probe up the center, and a short wire with male bullet connector on the end.
I checked the manufacture date stamped at the top of the door jamb plate. 9/81. Well, the title says it's an '82! :lol:
Model Year cutover is generally August, specifically for Nissan it seems to be July, so yup, your's is an '82.
According to your email then, as it is a later model 81, it is set up to use the sensor.
Yes.
I'm curious what possible harm could be done by using the earlier 81 filter that has no sensor (the one that is currently installed).
None, you just won't get the GP light glowing when you get an accumulation of water at the bottom of the filter. The '81 filter is cheaper, too. I'm not recommending it, just stating the facts as I see them.