Transplanting an SD22 into a Toyota 2wd pick-up

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

sidevalve

Transplanting an SD22 into a Toyota 2wd pick-up

Post by sidevalve »

Why? Because it was stuff in my yard. I now have a 2wd toyota 1 ton powered by a nissan sd22. It runs great and gets super mileage. I had to fabricate some mounts and shorten a drive shaft. It was a pretty simple install , went in toyota easier than it came out of the datsun. I will post photos soon. pete
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
wbrproductions

Post by wbrproductions »

Hello Pete -

Did you use the Nissan transmission, or adapt the Toyota? I'm doing a similar project with an LD20T-II and am debating my transmission choice.

Thanks,
wbrproductions
Jamming an LD20T-II into an 89 Nissan D21 p'up
sidevalve

sd22 into toyota truck reply

Post by sidevalve »

I used the nissan tranny and made a new drive shaft . I had to fab; new engine and tranny mounts . But other than that is was an eazy swap. I used the nissan rad too. It was alot bigger than the one on the toyota.
biggest challenge was to mate the wiring harness. I didn't want to lose the Ip controller , because of the low oil pressure shut down feature. And I want to use the toyota ign switch. It worked out in the end. I mated the nissan speedo cable to the toyota's cable and hooked it up to the toyota speedo. It works great and is accurate according to my friends gps. Out just a little , but no more then most stock speedo setups. I run a separate heated fuel/oil tanka dn burn used crankcase oil. System is similar to veggie oil systems. I just burn used crank case oil instead. Running like this for 5 months without any problems. I get better milage out of the used oil than diesel. Sorry , I took so long to gte back to you. Haven't been on here in a long time. I'll try and post some pics soon.
Good luck.
!987 toyota 2wd pick-up with a SD22 from a 82 720.
nissandieselcrazy

Post by nissandieselcrazy »

[img]
SD22 in 86.5 Nissan K/C 4x4 scapped