Industrial versus automotive

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

davehoos

Post by davehoos »

Its not uncommon for engines to fail from water ingested in heavy rain.we get inch per hour rain regularly.also following trucks in rain.

all i know is that river crossings was not involved.

when you work in a large new car dealer,i also worked in the landrover factory,you learn quickly that some of the crap about quality control is more about keeping new car owners proud of there purchase.a happy owner has no problems.

that silver shinny stuff in oil is uncommon in engines the filter normally picks it up.its very common in transmisions for brassy syncro shavings.main and big end bearing bolts are common on 4 cyls,you simlpy replace the bolts if there is no spreading of the bigend..a builder brought his pride and joy alfa into us for a/c work,he had left a rag in the water passage in the head this reminded many people visiting of stuff over time they had removed from new vehicles.oil and water lines are more common for plastic bungs.many cars have drama in the top end,many recalls on rocker gear and carby parts that fall off.

I rebuilt an engine that had been stripped by an aprentise,it prooved imposible to locate the all the numbered parts to the correct positions.due to time restraints it was reasembled by best guess.the engine refused to turn over due to the big ends being locked,it simply required 24 volts to the starter to get it going and after it warmed up we changed the oil.we could have resized rod ends and scraped bearings but some of the tolerances on some engines are are not important.my experience is that it is exteamly important if used at the exteam of design otherwise you can slap together and tow start.used car sales repairers working on thin margins can be scarey.

we regularly make up compressors for modern cars that replacments are no longer sold.these precicion instruments still work well if ground down on the buff wheel.

High milage
most australian datsun/nissans will do 400 000KM before needing a freshenup.some may need head work at half that.alloy head is always going to be the weak point ,the first overheat is the last.
the patrol is a longer term purchase than a datsun 1200,a lot of these have 40 000 km/year use locally.800 000 km is not unusual.most of my R31 have 300 000KM not needing work.there are a lot of very low milage cars around so high milage cars tend to get destroyed or handed around family.the 720 and D21 i owned had Lotsof KM.i had a rustyD21 VG30 with under 80 000KM i couldnt sell it in parts due to lack of demand for spares.i have customers doing 800 000 km in under 6 years.

im doing 100 miles per day+,my work car has million Km+[1989]
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
philip
Deceased

Post by philip »

davehoos wrote:Its not uncommon for engines to fail from water ingested in heavy rain.we get inch per hour rain regularly.also following trucks in rain.

all i know is that river crossings was not involved.

when you work in a large new car dealer,i also worked in the landrover factory,you learn quickly that some of the crap about quality control is more about keeping new car owners proud of there purchase.a happy owner has no problems. SNIP
Yes I know. I had up close experience working in a BMW dealership years ago. The slogan "Legendary Cars of Germany" was just that. May as well lump Mercedes in there too. All brands turn to some form of crap when you're paid to repair them on warranty.

Regarding the purchase of new vehicles, my test is: Would I buy this thing if there were no warranty? I've walked/run away from a lot of tech cars for this credo.
-Philip
Passed 08May2008
My friend, you are missed . . .

1982 Datsun 720KC SD-22

"Im slow and I'm ahead of you"