Another D21 SD25 fuel filter problem

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

subwar2001

Another D21 SD25 fuel filter problem

Post by subwar2001 »

Anyone had any luck finding a decently priced primary fuel filter The one with the sensor in the bottom) for this ever living beast that is still running in BC.
Dan
Owner of an elusive 1987 D21 SD25
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Does it have the fuel heater option on it? If it does then this Nissan part
# ( 16405-10G03) is for that "filter". It' not really a filter on mine, but merely a water trap/separator with the sensor in it. There is a picture of mine here (at the bottom of the page).

If it does not have the fuel heater option then it uses the combination filter/separator and I believe that it is available through WIX but am not sure of the # (possibly a 33224). The water probe in that type (WIX) appears to be much smaller than the one with the fuel heater option.

HTH

P
Retired Pauly
Problem with being retired is that you never get a day off.
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
subwar2001

Post by subwar2001 »

Interesting, when I went to get a new fuel filter for the beast, my local WIX dealer looked it up and quoted that number as the filter but since I had a NAPA number I just replaced the one without the sensor. I do have a fuel heater, so I'll have to take it off this weekend and have a good look at the water sensor and see whats there.
Dan
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

You are going to find that a lot of the parts dealers books and parts "programs" are US oriented and as you are no doubt aware these beasties did not make it to the US. The 1986 D21 did but I do not think that it made it there in the same form as the ones to Canada did. Eg: fuel filter/heater, I think the Canadaian model had the VE style pump with the CSD on it and a different glow system as well. I have not heard of any one on this forum that has a US model 1986 D21, but I could be wrong. I have used a number of different fuel filters on mine and there are quite a number that work and as far as I can tell all have the same micron rating. (10) The WIX 33386 and the 33393 easiest to get and the 93 I think is nearly an inch longer than the 86 is. I really cant recall right now which one I have on the truck, it may even be a Donaldson 550057
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

You will find, if you have not already, that most of the parts depots and parts programs are US oriented. The 87 D21's do not exist in the US and more times than not you get that "quizzical" look when you tell them (parts weenies) what you have. The 1986 did make it to the US in a D21 with the SD25 but I am not certain if it went there with the fuel heater option, the VE pump, and the different glow system etc. :? I usually use a WIX 33386, Donaldson 555057, or a Kralinator F137A. All are 10 micron and you can usually find one of them someplace. When I first removed the water separator from my truck I found that it was a bit of a PITA to get the sensor out as the O ring was stuck pretty hard. The fitting is plastic and you have to be careful removing it or you will end up being very sad. :( Once I had coaxed it out I used a very thin coating of silicone dielectric grease on the O ring and it is easy to get out now. The sensor appears to be pretty fragile as well.
FWIT

P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
subwar2001

Post by subwar2001 »

It's kind of funny that the WIX I used was the 33386. You are right about parts availability. Most of the people I've talked to say the truck does not exist, then I say look at the beast in the parking lot and that setles them down. Another part I found, was the thermostat, the proper one. I hunted around and could not find one but on a whim I asked at Crappy tire and to me surprise they had the right one with the long stem and even the gasket but thats about it.
Dan
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Beware of the CT thermostat. I ordered the proper one from Nissan.
(# 21200-64W01) It is around 20.00 from them but I had issues with two prior thermostats. One a Stant and one what ever it is that CT sells.
( Moto Rad I think) The Nissan one is the only one that seems to work properly. The others I think ran too cold. Truck seems to run best with the guage about 12 O'Clock position, perhaps a needle width higher, or lower but right around there.
Oil Filters I get from Nissan but still have a number of Donaldson (555616) ones left that I got with the truck. Wix 51769 works too but mostly I get the filters from Nissan 15209-J6502. If you order more than 3 at a time they will sell them to you for $9.99 each and from what I see they are a pretty good filter and about the same price as the others.
P
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
plenzen

Post by plenzen »

Dan !

Found this, might be worth looking into http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-a ... -car-parts. It's the right part #, and it's even on "The Rock" just a few short minutes away! :wink: :)
Spares are good :!:

Paul
Retired Pauly
1987 D21-J SD25 KC
KJLGD21FN
after oil

Post by after oil »

did you find one?
the filter isnt actually a filter... its just a water sensor. i took mine out and cleaned it up and it worked great. i may have one for you. in fact i have two trucks that would make great parts trucks or even runners maybe for you. im on the road and ill be back in powell river in about 10 days.
"... the rare and elusive 1987 D21/SD25, I have come to believe these trucks exist ONLY in the minds of people who own them. " phillip R.I.P.

1987 nissan d21 SD25, canada/2 tank SVO
1993 mitsubishi delica chamonix 4X4 diesel van
subwar2001

Post by subwar2001 »

Yes I did, it was just as published. The fuel filter was cloged and the second one was a sensor that actually works. Does one of your part trucks have a working glow plug control unit under the drivers seat that you are willing to part with?
Dan