Power & Torque figures.

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

minimog

Power & Torque figures.

Post by minimog »

I'm part way through turbocharging my LD28 and was wondering what sort of power and torque I could expect to see over the standard engine. I realise this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions but any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. It is a stock engine with no alterations to the fuelling and running a conservative but safe 7psi boost from a Garrett T3 turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWu90pgboiU

The video shows it running shortly after start up hence the sooty water coming from the turbo elbow!!

Regards, David.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Hey, that's inspirational! You still able hear? <g>

I think windsock here said he got noticeably peppier just adding the turbo to the LD28 in his Rover - ie. w/out adding fueling control. But no dyno data.

What'd you use for pipe? Looks like black, about 3"? Did you use thick wall? Looks like you found welding bends to put it together?

Cheers, rufus
82 Maxima wagon
minimog

Post by minimog »

Rufus, even though the engine has no exhaust or silencer it is very quiet. I guess the turbo acts as a silencer!! From the 280Z manifold to the turbo, I used 2 1/2" OD pipe with an 1/8" wall. The positioning of the turbo is not ideal but is the only place I could have it due to the cab. It does have its benefits though, placing the turbo here puts it right above the oil pressure sender, which I'll tee into for the turbo oil feed. This project is very much in its infancy. Still to do:- Straight through exhaust pipe (3" stainless 316), Finish and lag the turbo link pipe and manifold, Finish custom inlet manifold, Change the oil pan and dipstick position and Pipe up the intercooler. Lots to do and my wife keeps giving me jobs to do:( !!
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Yes, a woman makes for a whole 'nother life to fit in somewhere...

You doing the welding or shopping it out? Looked like it turned pretty plumb and perp.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
kassim503

Post by kassim503 »

Looks like a nice build!

& the unimog is cool :)
'83 maxima sedan, l24e, a/t, black

227K SOLD 6/7/2012
minimog

Post by minimog »

All fabrication has been done buy me. Rufus, what do you mean buy this
"Looked like it turned pretty plumb and perp"
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Turned out "plumb and perpendicular". What plumbers always strive for.

Means the pipes are all at right angles, flat level or vertical, and look like you know what you're doing. Always nice to impress the inspector and the customer. <g>

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
windsock

Post by windsock »

rlaggren wrote:I think windsock here said he got noticeably peppier just adding the turbo to the LD28 in his Rover - ie. w/out adding fueling control. But no dyno data.
Sorry Rufus, not I. I can only aspire to add a turbo at my current employment level. I may be adding one later on but no plans nor parts saved up.

There was another kiwi over in perth Western Australia that'd turbo'ed an LD28, maybe you were thinking of him.

I do however like the way heavy pipe has been used. Might well look into the concept of a custom "j" pipe set up off the stock manifold. I have limited room both above the motor and to the left with the wheel arch so if I custom fabbed a pipe to suit I could position where suited.

One question, by taking the oil from the oil pressure sender, does that distort the oil pressure to the rest of the engine?

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
minimog

Post by minimog »

Windsock, it is fine to take the oil feed from the oil pressure sender point. The journal bearings in the turbo do create a little pressure so the oil doesn't just pour straight through. Also, with most of the oil from the pump being dumped back to the sump, by the relief valve, the addition of the turbo doesn't make any considerable difference. To sum up, if the main, big end and thrust bearings on the crank and the journal and thrust bearings in the turbo are in all in good condition, good oil pressure will be maintained. I would expect to see 30-40psi oil pressure at idle with hot oil in a good condition engine.
Just to add, if I were to go down the route of modifying the block to add piston oil jets ,to cool the underside of the of the piston, then i would have to consider an uprated oil pump that gives greater flow.
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

Hello! I don't have any horsepower or torque figures since my turbo install, but hope to dyno it someday. Whatever the numbers say, what's striking is the quality of the extra power. A turbocharger makes the entire rpm range feel smooth and powerful, all the way to redline.

That large exhaust pipe you made seems like it would be good for getting the exhaust heat out and away from the head and pistons. I bet your turbo will spool up smoothly. With my short exhaust-to-turbo pipe system, the turbo spools up in a very abrupt manner if I give it the gas.

Also, 7 psi will be very reasonable. With no fuel modifications, I can run 10 psi continuously at high speeds. During fast acceleration, boost peaks at 14 psi. Also, my big stupid cheap ebay wastegate is not working properly, and exhaust gas leaks past it. This is reducing pressure and overall turbo performance.

Other than vanquishing a few oil leaks and such, the turbo system has been running great and even improving since it was installed this summer. I just wanted to tell you how my turbo adventure has been going!
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~
minimog

Post by minimog »

Hi, I thought I'd upload a couple pictures to let you all see how the project is progressing.

TurboKota

Post by TurboKota »

Looks like a fun project, I'll be watching...

Just picked up a LD28 myself for a Dakota install and looking to do a similar turbo build. Any plans on IP pump mods? Frank