Pneumatic Governor Diaphragm

SD diesels were widely available in the US in the 1981-86 Datsun/Nissan 720 pickups, and in Canada through '87 in the D21 pickup.

Moderators: plenzen, Nissan_Ranger

dieseljunky

Pneumatic Governor Diaphragm

Post by dieseljunky »

Did some reading on here and realized why my SD22 was smoking black as coal and idling very fast. Original leather diaphragm. Ordering a new one so hopefully that will fix my issues.

Just thought I would share with you guys. Sorry the pic is so big.

Does Anyone know where else to order one of these besides http://www.swdiesel.com?

[img][img]http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz32 ... 0_1573.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by dieseljunky 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Thanks for posting. Are the edges torn or is just cut out that way?

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
dieseljunky

Post by dieseljunky »

Well, the edges are pretty smooth. Starting to slightly crack around the edges. That one spot had a bad tear in it for some reason or another. If the diaphragm was a clock the big tear there is about 10 o'clock. Hopefully that helps you.
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Yes, that's what I was looking at.

I think I read here a long time ago from an aussie that rebuilt these with inner tube rubber. But maybe that was something else - like a fuel pump. But a thought in case you're up against it somehow.

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
Nissan_Ranger

Post by Nissan_Ranger »

There was some considerable discussion with respect to the diaphragm, correct fluids, and the process of R & R. I mentioned I'd put power steering fluid into the governor housing of my SD. That has been in place since 2004 and still no difficulties to date...

N_R
The old 'six gun' was as popular as the cell phone in its time and just as annoying when it went off in the Theater.
dieseljunky

Post by dieseljunky »

Well, this time I went with the easy route and ordered a new diaphragm from
swdiesel. It was 42$ shipped to my door. 12$ of that was in shipping. So I guess that is not to bad. I might try to experiment with the old one and see if I can make a new one.

Do you guys think I should put some kind of lubricant or softener on the new diaphragm before I put it in?
ecomike

Post by ecomike »

Straight old style dyno motor oil should work just fine. I used an old style crude oil based vacuum pump oil on mine about 4 years ago, and ever since, with no problem. I think the trick is to use a non-volatile, non-biodegradable oil, one that does not evaporate at high temps and high vacuums, and one that does not cook at high temps. In a pinch, I would use 40 weight motor oil, the old non-synthetics.
Regards,

Mike

1985 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer, 2WD, retrofitted with SD-22 & 5 spd manual trans, a 4X4 Gas Wagoneer ltd. (XJ) Jeep, 4.0 L w/ AW4 auto, and now 2 spare 2wd Jeeps, 87 & 89.