Foot flat to start

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

asdex

Foot flat to start

Post by asdex »

Just wondering if someone could tell me why I have to have my foot flat on the accelerator to start the engine? I hold the glow plug button for about 10 sec but unless I have full throttle the engine just winds over without starting. It then starts at full revs which is pretty noisy and there is smoke from the extra diesel I guess. That clears up and the engine idles fine. Also is it quite a job to change the injector pump belt?
Thanks,
asdex
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hi asdex,

I'd be checking the glow plugs to make sure they do actually glow if I was you. Check here for glow plug problems and remedies etc.

Check herefor IP belt work load.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
asdex

Glowplugs

Post by asdex »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I have checked total current which is 48-50 amps and the one glowplug I could get my clipon amp meter on which was 12 amps so I expect 2 glowplugs are faulty.
The wiring is a cable from the battery to the switch then to the glowplugs. No fuse, controller, or timer. I bought a timer on Trademe so will put that in and a fuse. Will find a couple of glowplugs somewhere and will replace the faulty ones.
I hope to do the injector pump belt before Christmas so will have a study of the information.
Thanks,
asdex

Glowplugs

Post by asdex »

I have taken a glowplug out and they are:
NGK 3829 (Y204TS-1) 1981 only Non-QGS Type (1)(3) 12v
Is this the only sort I can use or are there many that will fit?
The timer I am getting has adjustable time and adjustable afterglow. I have to check that yet to see what it does.
Thanks
asdex

Glowplugs

Post by asdex »

Hi I have tracked down 5 x PN-121 6.5 volts new glowplugs for a good price.
Would these need some sort of controller or timer to stop them burning out with 12v?
Thanks
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

If you Search "glowplugs" here you should find a few threads, one of which is a comprehensive review of plugs by Al.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
windsock

Re: Glowplugs

Post by windsock »

asdex wrote:I have taken a glowplug out and they are:
NGK 3829 (Y204TS-1) 1981 only Non-QGS Type (1)(3) 12v
Is this the only sort I can use or are there many that will fit?
The timer I am getting has adjustable time and adjustable afterglow. I have to check that yet to see what it does.
Thanks
The timer you mention allows you to set the duration of initial glow (good for seasonal differences) and the afterglow is used to send 'bursts' of heat to the glowplug after ignition to assist with cold starts = less start up smoke in cold weather. I use one on my land rover. I am almost ready to turn the glow duration down again to summer time and set the afterglow to zero.

Hope you can get the GP's sorted. I haven't had any issues with mine yet so I haven't schooled up on them. All the best.

Phil

EDIT: PS, I hope you guys are OK down there in Dunedin after the shaking that has been going on. We feel the occassional aftershock if over 4-4.5 here in the manawatu. Been a few good ones around 5 lately huh? :shock:
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
asdex

Glowplugs

Post by asdex »

Thanks, have track down some new glowplugs. Genesis GJ75IN. I'm getting 6 and hope to fit them in the weekend. Should have the timer then too.
Felt some shaking down here for about 10 seconds but thats about all.
Cheers,