New here, direct me to my help???

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

junker

New here, direct me to my help???

Post by junker »

Hello all,
New here, and I'm excited to have found this forum. I hope it can solve my current problems...LOL. Please navagate me to where I need to be.
I know nothing of Nissan Diesel engines, however I got one (don't know if their anygood or what type I have), and I am trying to use it in my Rat Rod project. It is a 6 cyl out of a 82ish Maxima with A/T, it ran in the original car, but after I put it in its new home, it barely tries to idle, won't take any form of acceleration, and it becomes harder and harder to start at all once I try to run it.
I'm trying to make it run in without all the power brakes, power steering, and ather features in its simlpest form?
Help me please....
Junker
Dslsmoke

Re: New here, direct me to my help???

Post by Dslsmoke »

junker wrote:Hello all,
....... It is a 6 cyl out of a 82ish Maxima with A/T, it ran in the original car, but after I put it in its new home, it barely tries to idle, won't take any form of acceleration, and it becomes harder and harder to start at all once I try to run it.......
Junker

Welcome aboard!!

First thing comes to mind, You need to bleed the fuel system, (not difficult, just a PIA) :evil: There are several threads here on the subject...

Second; Check your glow plugs, are they working, are you using them B4 you try to start the engine?

The engine is Nissan's LD28 diesel, a good solid engine that with a little TLC can go over 400K with B4 you know it. :lol:

Hope this helps.

Dslsmoke
junker

Post by junker »

Thank you for your reply, I'll try next time I get a chance. I've tryed to bleed the air out a few times. I do know that I do have current going to the glow plugs by using a test light. I am using a large portion of the original wiring harness during these test (like a million wires ;()
It also has one of those plug in water heaters on it, would that help start? The injection pump seems pretty intense, I hope alls OK there....to me it seems like its not getting fuel???
Thanks again and I guess I should stay in the LD28 thread?
Carimbo

Post by Carimbo »

junker wrote:....to me it seems like its not getting fuel???
Good guess. What is the condition of the fuel filter? Have you tried draining some of the fuel out of it? What came out?
junker

Post by junker »

It was a pain in the azz but air in the fuel must have been the problem! You guys made me a VERY happy guy! Thank you.
junker

Post by junker »

If anyones interested on what you helped me with, its a under construction Rat Rod 1949 Studebaker School Bus, Nissan powered, got a Youtube clip of it on its first movement...should be the only one like it anywhere. Also I'm on Facebook if any Nissan Dieselers wanna be friends look me with the name junker nutz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Zsj_oyGZw