Glow plug wiring question

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

JasperG

Glow plug wiring question

Post by JasperG »

Hello again. I am trying to figure out how to wire the glow plugs in my Series Rover. What voltage do they run at? How long are they supposed to be on? Plan on just using a button to turn them on.. Any suggestions on wiring them up? Im pretty new to diesels. Thanks Gordo
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Using the forum Search turned up this thread:

http://nissandiesel.dyndns.org/viewtopi ... glow+plugs

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
windsock

Post by windsock »

Hey Jasper,

How are you and that Series getting along? Hope it is progressing well. Sounds like you are getting it done if enquirying about GPs. I am afraid I will not be of much help as the wiring was one thing I had to get someone else to do. Me and wiring equals sparks of equal or greater proportion to effort spent... :lol:

I can however show you a few photos. We started with the GP switch from the donor car... this is mounted on the firewall under the hood above the GP bus bar.

Only real ID marks I could find on this thing...

The fellow who wired it put in the GP timer/controller for me. Light glows for the duration of glow, then blinks for eachglow after starting for the afterglow function... I only use the afterglow pulses in winter when a few more bursts of heat help with the start up.

I hope this has been of some help.

Cheers,

Phil
Good roads lead to bad fishing.
240ZD

Post by 240ZD »

I just used a "Ford starter solenoid" wired directly from the battery to the glow plugs, activated by a small button in the cab that I manually hold for about 8 seconds. It is extremely simple but works well. Used 10 gauge wire.
"Man, your engine is knocking really bad..."~
JasperG

Post by JasperG »

Hello all, thanks for the help guys. I like the solenoid idea, cheap and easy. I had seen that link which is why I was confused about the voltage specs. The truck is coming along nicely Phil. Still a few months away but I am almost ready to hear it run! Thanks Gordo