What to Look for in a LD28???

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

poppatello

What to Look for in a LD28???

Post by poppatello »

I'm going to head down tom. to look @ the 82 LD 28. From what I understand it was pulled from an 82 Maxi wagon and was running good when it was pulled. The motor has some 142,000 on it. I'm not sure how long it was sitting but I'm going to guess close to a year. It still has the 3 speed auto attached to it.

My plans would be to get the thing and detach the tranny and either sell it if it's worth anything or toss it. I am looking @ this motor for my 84 Jeep Cj 7 that has an AMC 4 cylinder now. Very under powered.

Is there anything I should be looking for when I go to look @ it. I am told it's on a moving cart and seems to have everything but the glow plug and controller. I mean other then the obvious signs of oil around the valve cover is there any other warning signs I should be on the look out for???
In a World Full of Copy Cats, Be an Original...
JasperG

Re: What to Look for in a LD28???

Post by JasperG »

poppatello wrote:I'm going to head down tom. to look @ the 82 LD 28. From what I understand it was pulled from an 82 Maxi wagon and was running good when it was pulled. The motor has some 142,000 on it. I'm not sure how long it was sitting but I'm going to guess close to a year. It still has the 3 speed auto attached to it.

My plans would be to get the thing and detach the tranny and either sell it if it's worth anything or toss it. I am looking @ this motor for my 84 Jeep Cj 7 that has an AMC 4 cylinder now. Very under powered.

Is there anything I should be looking for when I go to look @ it. I am told it's on a moving cart and seems to have everything but the glow plug and controller. I mean other then the obvious signs of oil around the valve cover is there any other warning signs I should be on the look out for???
If you are running a manual, the flywheel can be hard to find. Also if it has the front sump oil pan, that may need to be modified for the front diff. Look for obvious signs of headgasket leaks as they can be hard to source. Ive got one in my Land Rover and it was a bitch to "rebuild" parts took forever to locate and I never did find oversized pistons despite needing them. Just took awhile. It should be relatively easy to fire if its on a stand. I'd also want the alternator as that one has a vacuum pump that you will need if you use a brake booster. Replacement alts are cheap but the pumps arent easy to come by. This board will be your best friend if you go for the LD28. Oh yeah and my glow plugs are fired by a ford solenoid. thats no big deal and plugs are easy to source on ebay/etc. Those miles wouldnt scare me. Gordo
rlaggren

Post by rlaggren »

Maybe take a camera and tape measure. Helps to measure the engine space in the jeep first, of course. If it's from an 82, it'll have a locking transmission; they lock up about 37mph. Even if they won't start it, try to get them to spin it; I think Al said you want to see about 350rpm off a good starter. You can run a diesel on wd40 for a while (shooting it into the intake); it won't really tell you much about how it runs but it would tell you IF it runs. If the starter is poor you can help it by totally covering the intake manifold with the palm of your hand, creating a vacuum - much easier to compress a vacuum at 22:1; once it's got as much momentum as it's going to get, whip off your hand while you squirt WD40 into it. Gotta have somebody to run the starter for you.

I think they're good motors, but have you looked at the horse power specs on your existing 4cyl? Might be close to the same, though LD should have better torque. The LD will weigh some more, also.

Rufus
82 Maxima wagon