fwd ld20 to ld20t rwd

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

rvricen

fwd ld20 to ld20t rwd

Post by rvricen »

gentlemen, i've got a ld20IIt van, it's a nissan vanette largo c22 to be specific.

it came factory turbo ld20 with an auto on it.

now i've sourced a cheep replacement engine in a nissan bluebird 1987 u12

both cars are 1987 models, the engine in the bluebird is non turbo and factory manual.

i've measured the engine mounts (obviously they're not used/used differently). all holes are there and look like they'll pair up.

i've seen on the block casting is "M3" of the bluebird diesel, and in the exact same place is "M2" on the turbo engine in the van, i can only assume this is version 2 in the van and 3 in the bluebird.

so realisitcally what i'm planning is to make a fwd, n/a, manual engine fit in a rwd, turbo, auto van

i know it's a tall order but can anyone see this not working? i'd imagine the engines and dimensions are the same.

what i'm asking of this forum, is can you think of anything i'm missing

swap over
intake manifold
exhaust manifold and turbo
oil lines for turbo
water pump (will get a new one while the engines are out)
perhaps pulleys for the viscious fan
engine mounts obviously
sump? (not sure if necessary)
(all obvious auto/manual conversion pieces)
injector pump pipes (some are pipes that are on the same areas, just fittings that point different ways

can anyone think of anything i'm missing while the engines out and easy to work on (will get timing belt ect done) and i.p seals as the new engine is leaking diesel.

cheers for any input guys, i'll post pictures of some things i'm talking about tomorrow, and if this can't be done it's no loss, i got the replacement engine nearly free.
davehoos

Post by davehoos »

turbo engine has oil jets under the pistons.
you use the turbo/auto injector pump.
oil cooler alloy adaptor housing.
rwd water piping.

crank will be the same for auto tourque convertor bush bits are on the drive plate.

lots of different waterpumps on LD20.the vanette engine has a visco,the FWD wont.nissan often use a light duty beaing on pumps with no fans.

interested in a sump of a leftover engine.i have one cut up in bits.
and belt covers etc.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
steven.l

Post by steven.l »

hi im considering doing the same except i have the flatdeck vanette just wondering how you got on with this one