My 85-Nissan Laurel LD28 Turbo from Norway

Discuss (and cuss) the Nissan LD-series OHC Six diesel engine, popularly available in the US in 1981-83 Datsun/Nissan Maxima Sedans & Wagons.

Moderators: plenzen, glenlloyd, goglio704, Nissan_Ranger

Post Reply
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

My 85-Nissan Laurel LD28 Turbo from Norway

#1

Post by overrated »

Hello!

First of all I want to apologize for my sucky english!

My name is Ole and I'm from Norway. Found this forum on the internet in the search of gaskets for my ld28. And I wanted to post some pics of my car with the turbo conversion.

The car when i bought it.
Image

Custom piping from manifold to turbo
Image

Test mounted turbo
Image

Still testmounting
Image

This is the only picture i have right now of how it ended up. But the orange strap is not there now. Just had it there because it kept blowing of the hoses because of some bad clamps.
Image


And how it looks today! I like it :)
Image


Today I'm running 1,7 bar of boost, made som adjustments to the fuel pump and straight exhaustpipes from the turbo.


Got a film on youtube right here of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz8u3_NzX88



Few days ago i bought a nissan laurel C31 with the ld28 engine in.

I'm gonna rip out that engine and overhaul it. And after then.. Twinturbo it! :twisted:

Is it possible to make a project topic here about it?
minimog
Posts: 61
Joined: 12 years ago
Location: Somerset, U.K.

#2

Post by minimog »

Hi Ole and welcome. I saw video on youtube a couple of weeks ago and I've posted your other videos on here before. 1.7 bar boost is an impressive amount to be pushing through an ageing diesel engine from the 1980's :D
What modifications have you done to your engine to support this amount of boost?

Dave.
minimog
Posts: 61
Joined: 12 years ago
Location: Somerset, U.K.

#3

Post by minimog »

Forgot to add, please make a topic about your project, it should make for some good reading :D
dn29626
Posts: 249
Joined: 11 years ago
Location: Anderson, SC

#4

Post by dn29626 »

What turbo did you use? Where did you get it and the price ?
82 King Cab 2wd (nice)
82 Reg Cab (body damage)
Anderson , SC
Since Fall 2009
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#5

Post by overrated »

minimog wrote:Hi Ole and welcome. I saw video on youtube a couple of weeks ago and I've posted your other videos on here before. 1.7 bar boost is an impressive amount to be pushing through an ageing diesel engine from the 1980's :D
What modifications have you done to your engine to support this amount of boost?

Dave.
Yes I saw the videos you posted before i commented here :p
Fun that my videos are posted in international forums too :p

Most of all LD28 in in Norway that are turboconverted are running everything from 1bar up to 2bar boost. They handle it :)

None modifications are made to the engine to handle the boost.
A old iron engine with iron cylinderhead is nothing to be afraid of.

But the new engine I'm planning of doing some things with is to lower the compression to push more boost and fuel and hopefully gain som HP/NM.
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#6

Post by overrated »

dn29626 wrote:What turbo did you use? Where did you get it and the price ?
I used a Garrett VNT turbo from a Nissan X-trail YD22DTI 136 hp.
Turned the exhaust housing around to get the oil pressure inlet and outlet downwards. Since i've made the exhaust inlet to the turbo that way it was made. :p
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#7

Post by overrated »

Some more pictures of the car and engine.

In the winter, 35w xenon in headlights, 3x75w xenon in the highbeam lights?
Image

Gauges: Exhaust Temp in Celcius, Voltmeter, Boostpressure
Image

15mm spacers to get the rims to fit properly.
Image

Tinted windows all the way to the A-column? :p
Image

Rear end
Image

Image
rlaggren
Posts: 541
Joined: 14 years ago
Location: San Francisco

#8

Post by rlaggren »

Hi Ollie

Appreciate your posting your pics. Sounds like you have a "winner". Can you post another picture or two of the adapter pipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo? I like the idea of a "J" pipe like that because it seems like it would make a turbo conversion more of a simple "bolt on" project - after, of course, getting the pipe to fit correctly.

How was the pipe fabricated? Is the material from regular plumbing pipe fittings (weld fittings) or is it some kind of exhaust tube? I assume that it was not bent to shape but that you cut pieces and then assembled them to the correct shape?

And the car looks pretty good, too. <g>

Cheers, Rufus
82 Maxima wagon
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#9

Post by overrated »

rlaggren wrote:Hi Ollie

Appreciate your posting your pics. Sounds like you have a "winner". Can you post another picture or two of the adapter pipe between the exhaust manifold and the turbo? I like the idea of a "J" pipe like that because it seems like it would make a turbo conversion more of a simple "bolt on" project - after, of course, getting the pipe to fit correctly.

How was the pipe fabricated? Is the material from regular plumbing pipe fittings (weld fittings) or is it some kind of exhaust tube? I assume that it was not bent to shape but that you cut pieces and then assembled them to the correct shape?

And the car looks pretty good, too. <g>

Cheers, Rufus

That was the thought of it, to make it simple :) And easy to mount of if nessacery.

I've cutted the original part of the exhaust tube right after the mounting to the manifold. Then I made a J or a V to get the tube upwards again. The pipe is standard exhaust piping. I cut the piping to make an sort of V shaped thing so the piping was possible that way without cutting in the exhaustmanifold.

Thanks for commenting :)

Btw. Can't find anything usable photos of the only the J-pipe. :(

Ole
raj123
Posts: 1
Joined: 9 years ago

#10

Post by raj123 »

Nice article, thanks for the information.
Exhaust Shops
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

Picked up a car that I'm using for parts

#11

Post by overrated »

Nissan Laurel C31 with LD28 engine and automatic trans.
Has 282000 km on the counter and the engine looks not to bad.
Gonna rip it out and rebuild the engine with new bearings and gaskets.
Port the cylinder head, adjust the injection nozzles, possibly tune the fuel pump, build a new custom intake manifold and a new exhaust manifold from the ground. And paint the hole thing to make it shine :D


Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
davehoos
Posts: 525
Joined: 15 years ago
Location: Karuah Valley,NSW Australia
Contact:

#12

Post by davehoos »

thats one of those I wished they had sold these in australia.

the R30 was sold here only with the L24E.
in NZ there was plenty of JDM imports.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#13

Post by overrated »

davehoos wrote:thats one of those I wished they had sold these in australia.

the R30 was sold here only with the L24E.
in NZ there was plenty of JDM imports.
These are popular in norway. But it's not many left. Most of them are rusted away to pieces.

Yesterday I washed the engine with a highpressure washer at 90 degrees celcius and It was a engine under all that dirt :D

Next week the engine propably will be out. Then placed on "engine holder" that makes it easy to work on and turn around.

Pictures comes next week :)

Does anyone know if the fuelpump from RD28T will fit on the LD28 engine?
davehoos
Posts: 525
Joined: 15 years ago
Location: Karuah Valley,NSW Australia
Contact:

#14

Post by davehoos »

they are similar.

I fitted a old LD20T pump to a LD20II.
might had a few minor mods to get it to fit the later in the older.

the drive cog is different and the key is a different width.but its not impossible to fit.a LD20II has same cogs as RD28.

its only the top half you want for the turbo boost unit.and these are reasonably similar with most nissans of the same age.IE TD.
WCJR31 Skyline.3.0 manual.wagon
R31 SKYLINE/Passage GT/PINTARA
LPG Ford Falcon 99-06 93 Disco
Local Shire Southern Zone Mechanic.
overrated
Posts: 39
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Norway

#15

Post by overrated »

davehoos wrote:they are similar.

I fitted a old LD20T pump to a LD20II.
might had a few minor mods to get it to fit the later in the older.

the drive cog is different and the key is a different width.but its not impossible to fit.a LD20II has same cogs as RD28.

its only the top half you want for the turbo boost unit.and these are reasonably similar with most nissans of the same age.IE TD.
Okey. Thanx for the tip :) Going to check that up. Thinking of changing fuel pump to the RD28T pump because of the smoke the engine make before the boost.

Btw. found a picture of a L28 engine that I liked.
Image
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests